Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #751 of 899
Here's the list of upgraded things :

Firmware notes

1. Optimized behaviour of volume control during quick changes.

2. Adjusted volume synchronization in SyncLink control

3. Improved music library scanning

4. Adjusted Source switching settings

5. Improved performance of SyncLink and Wireless Projection

6. Adjusted some parts of main menu and UI (quick access to streaming services and NAS)

7. Further fixes and optimizations.

As I don't have the device anymore, I can't tell if those are the issues that everyone hoped to be adressed.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #752 of 899
Unable to update music file library. Loses connection when updating from microSD and USB. I wonder what it looks like for you. More functional interface. Linguistic errors not corrected, typographical errors.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #753 of 899
Must say I'm quite happy with this update! Wireless projection is a huge step in the right direction! Much smoother and easy to use. Also love that streaming now has a button on the landing screen, so you don't have to swipe down from the top every time. Thumbs up, @Shanling!

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #754 of 899
Unable to update music file library. Loses connection when updating from microSD and USB. I wonder what it looks like for you. More functional interface. Linguistic errors not corrected, typographical errors.

Scan library right on the device or on the SyncLink of Eddict player app?
For text problems, do you mean in English or Polish?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #755 of 899
Applies to the Polish language. Spelling the word Artist, the error occurs all over the place. Both on EM5 and Eddict Player.
Screenshot_2023-12-15-00-44-19-186_com.shanling.eddictplayer.jpg

Attachments

• 1702634653372.jpg
    1702634653372.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #756 of 899
As for media disappearing, it affects the device and Eddict. Scanning stops at 4000 files. About. Interestingly, if we have a microSD card and a USB pendrive inserted, only the microSD card disappears. The USB flash drive remains. If we remove the microSD, the USB pendrive will disappear.
In fact, at this point the screen on which the file scanning takes place turns off.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #757 of 899
After the update, I lost access to the Plex media server music library. I can only go through the path Plex media server / Music / By albums (or by artists). Next, a list of albums opens, but you cannot enter any folder.
My other players, computers, TVs and phones play my music library from the Plex media server perfectly.
I did a factory reset, but it didn't help.
Great! We've been waiting for this update for a whole year!

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #758 of 899
After the update, I lost access to the Plex media server music library. I can only go through the path Plex media server / Music / By albums (or by artists). Next, a list of albums opens, but you cannot enter any folder.
My other players, computers, TVs and phones play my music library from the Plex media server perfectly.
Don't worry...
Shanling software team is already working on i

They will release the patch in early 2025 🤣 !!!

Meanwhile you can go back to older firmware

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #759 of 899
My mistake. It is version 1.6.
Gonna make the update soon.
Ciao
... Having read above, I'm bloody scared to update my EM5.
Can you believe it?
Dear @Shanling, you should do a soul-searching and review your QC.
The big question is:
- will I ever update the firmware to something more reliable?
- will I keep the old firmware and go on swearing for every bug?
- will I sell the device before it goes out of production?
- will I use it as a brick to block a door?
Waiting for advice.

Rgds

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #760 of 899
Can you believe it?
The big question is:
Waiting for advice.

Rgds

The brick to lock the door is probably your best option...

And of course a lesson to stay away from Shanling devices

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #761 of 899
Applies to the Polish language. Spelling the word Artist, the error occurs all over the place. Both on EM5 and Eddict Player.

Will report it to our Polish distributor, they were the one doing translation. We haven't received any notes from them about any adjustments so far.

As for media disappearing, it affects the device and Eddict. Scanning stops at 4000 files. About. Interestingly, if we have a microSD card and a USB pendrive inserted, only the microSD card disappears. The USB flash drive remains. If we remove the microSD, the USB pendrive will disappear.
In fact, at this point the screen on which the file scanning takes place turns off.

Just to be clear, all these drives were able to be fully scanned before updating to V1.6?
When this happens, it's normally an issue with some specific file and its formatting.

Are you able to access all files through folder browsing without library scan?

Have you performed factory reset after firmware update as noted in our update instructions?

Noted and reported to software team.

Can you believe it?
The big question is:
Waiting for advice.

Rgds

Just update, you can anytime downgrade back to older firmware if you will encounter any issue. We so far saw positive response to this update from majority of users.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #762 of 899
Just update, you can anytime downgrade back to older firmware if you will encounter any issue. We so far saw positive response to this update from majority of users.
Ok.
Firmware updated via pendrive and factory reset done.
The procedure was easy, relatively fast and went smoothly.
Honestly speaking, though, I do not see significant differences in the Eddict player wireless projection compared to before, but it seems effectively a little bit more stable and the remote volume control works better.
So far so good with Apple Music and Spotify streaming services.
Amazon app was updated... Unfortunately, it still doesn't work with a standard Prime subscription.
Thank goodness, I have Apple Music.
Going to test Tidal soon.
And Qobuz? No. Their app was flimsy enough itself and their limited catalogue made me quit the subscription months ago.
Local libraries still to be tested.
Let's wait and see.

Should I say: "I'm happy"?
No, I'm not.
Should the machine work and sound half fine it looks, I would be content.
Too bad.

Rgds

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #764 of 899
@Shanling
Some suggestions for future improvement:
- make the eq feature available also for the music played via streaming services
- make the vu-meter feature available also for the music played via streaming services
- make the wireless projection responsive and available for vertical screens.
Rgds
Hi,

Your efforts to try to get Shanling to improve something are really appreciated.
But just check all the reports in this threaeds and in other threads about Shanling products.
And try to find a single post where Shanling has fulfilled a request by a user...
You will probably have a hard time to find one.
They keep saying that the problem "has been reported to our software team".

The web is full of reports about people praising the sound qualities of the Shanling products.
But it is also full of people angry at how Shanling does not give a s**t about customer requests.
And that is really frustrating because they do all they can to force you to use Eddict.
And Eddict is about the most useless crippled software I can think about...

Its flaws have been mentioned and reported all over the web.
And what does Shanling do ?
NOTHING... They just release new hardware with even higher prices.
They just release a new firmware every 6 months with font size fixes to claim they're supporting their older hardware.
But it's not limited to older hardware.
As the newer hardware comes with the same cripples, it's also unsupported.

So you have 2 options :
- find a way to live with those flaws (like I did with thrid party software) ;
- sell that hardware for as much as you can and switch to something else. It will probably not sound as good, but at least it will work and you will be able to enjoy your music.

Regards.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #765 of 899
Your efforts to try to get Shanling to improve something are really appreciated.
But just check all the reports in this threaeds and in other threads about Shanling products.
And try to find a single post where Shanling has fulfilled a request by a user...
You will probably have a hard time to find one.
They keep saying that the problem "has been reported to our software team".

The web is full of reports about people praising the sound qualities of the Shanling products.
But it is also full of people angry at how Shanling does not give a s**t about customer requests.
And that is really frustrating because they do all they can to force you to use Eddict.
And Eddict is about the most useless crippled software I can think about...

Its flaws have been mentioned and reported all over the web.
And what does Shanling do ?
NOTHING... They just release new hardware with even higher prices.
They just release a new firmware every 6 months with font size fixes to claim they're supporting their older hardware.
But it's not limited to older hardware.
As the newer hardware comes with the same cripples, it's also unsupported.

So you have 2 options :
- find a way to live with those flaws (like I did with thrid party software) ;
- sell that hardware for as much as you can and switch to something else. It will probably not sound as good, but at least it will work and you will be able to enjoy your music.
Agreed!

But the summary is:
1st: Shanling provides Great Sound Quality for the money!
2nd: Software is good enough to provide 1st topic!

So you get what was promised: Great Sound quality for the money! Nothing more but also nothing less.
You can keep asking for better (more user friendly) software, but again: You get what was promised!

I have accepted Shanling's approach and I am a very happy customer:
Both of my devices (EM5 & M6 Ultra) provide great sound for the money - the software is not perfect, but good enough to provide the great sound!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back