Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #721 of 899
Anyone tried Apple Music on the EM5? Songs seem to end early and first few seconds of songs can be cut off as well.

Good internet connection, WiFi 6
Crossfade off

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #724 of 899
Hi all

I've been guest reading through this whole thread, and finally got round to posting my first post. Thanks to everyone who have contributed! And I must say that I am quite impressed by who frequent Shanling have followed up in this forum.

Here are some bullet points a couple of weeks into my ownership of the Shanling EM5. Disclaimer: This is my first streamer/server. I've only used a mac through dac and amp previously.

- As sooo many already have commented: The interface is at best mediocre. Messy, a bit slow. I do however like the way local files are shown, with album art etc. I don't use this much, so don't take my word if you're a pro. :)

- Whyyyyy can't the opening screen be the source selector, rather than local music scan?!

- The Eddict app feels cheap and extremely B-grade.

- Several places there are typos and dodgy translation. Would have thought this was fixed by now.

- As a Hifiman Sundara user, I prefer a little EQ tweeking to lift the bass slightly, especially for pop, rock, triphop, hiphop. So the EQ was one of the reasons I got the Shanling. My disappointment was huge when I opened Tidal from the streaming source menu on the EM5 and noticed that the EQ didn't affect the sound at all. I later found the comment from Shanling in this thread stating that the EQ doesn't apply to the streaming apps. More on this in the next bullet.

- I did some testing that really baffles me. You can open Tidal from the unit itself, through pull-down menu -> streaming services, and from Cloud service on the Eddict app. The strange thing is that using Tidal from Eddict on my iphone by using Cloud service, the EQ actually works! Sounds like the sound quality is unaffected. The interface on the unit is also different when using the two different methods. Does anyone know if there's any difference between these two sources?

- And then there is the EQ itself. Something is very strange with it. It seems as if 0 on the -12 to 12 scale - which should be neutral - is not neutral. I put all the sliders to 5, which actually sounds more neutral. I tested by switching the EQ on and off, and couldn't hear a difference. So I believe the EQ levels are programmed wrongly.

- The EQ presets are probably the worst piece of craft I've ever seen/heard. This might also be due to the wrong base programming. Then again, once finding out about the base level being so off, I managed to tweek a good profile.

- The first couple of days I had an annoying issue when using Tidal. Loading new songs, or jumping within a song was very slow. There was also an underlying digital sound when loading. Digital hissing and clicking. I played around with the network settings, changing to music quality first, which seemed to help on some occations. But it was still present other times. I finally tried changing my wireless source to a different (and quicker) router. This solved the issue. A HUGE relief!

- And a final minor issue. When running Eddict from my android Galaxy tab, Tidal is not available in the Cloud service menu. Only Spotify. Both are available in the iphone app. Is this expected or a local bug?

After two days use, I was quite underwhelmed to be honest. But by figuring out the mentioned kinks, I am enjoying it a lot! The build is very good, and the hardware seems good. But the app and interface are really second rate and weigh down the overall experience. All in all I am happy though. :)

This turned in to a looong post, but hopefully this might be of assistance to anyone with similar struggles to mine. And hopefully Shanling can look at the EQ issues, elaborate on whether there are any differences between running Tidal from the app and via the streaming service on the unit, and regarding the android app not being able to run Tidal from cloud service.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #725 of 899
Hi all

I've been guest reading through this whole thread, and finally got round to posting my first post. Thanks to everyone who have contributed! And I must say that I am quite impressed by who frequent Shanling have followed up in this forum.

Here are some bullet points a couple of weeks into my ownership of the Shanling EM5. Disclaimer: This is my first streamer/server. I've only used a mac through dac and amp previously.

- As sooo many already have commented: The interface is at best mediocre. Messy, a bit slow. I do however like the way local files are shown, with album art etc. I don't use this much, so don't take my word if you're a pro. :)

- Whyyyyy can't the opening screen be the source selector, rather than local music scan?!

- Several places there are typos and dodgy translation. Would have thought this was fixed by now.

- As a Hifiman Sundara user, I prefer a little EQ tweeking to lift the bass slightly, especially for pop, rock, triphop, hiphop. So the EQ was one of the reasons I got the Shanling. My disappointment was huge when I opened Tidal from the streaming source menu on the EM5 and noticed that the EQ didn't affect the sound at all. I later found the comment from Shanling in this thread stating that the EQ doesn't apply to the streaming apps. More on this in the next bullet.

- I did some testing that really baffles me. You can open Tidal from the unit itself, through pull-down menu -> streaming services, and from Cloud service on the Eddict app. The strange thing is that using Tidal from Eddict on my iphone by using Cloud service, the EQ actually works! Sounds like the sound quality is unaffected. The interface on the unit is also different when using the two different methods. Does anyone know if there's any difference between these two sources?

- And then there is the EQ itself. Something is very strange with it. It seems as if 0 on the -12 to 12 scale - which should be neutral - is not neutral. I put all the sliders to 5, which actually sounds more neutral. I tested by switching the EQ on and off, and couldn't hear a difference. So I believe the EQ levels are programmed wrongly.

- The EQ presets are probably the worst piece of craft I've ever seen/heard. This might also be due to the wrong base programming. Then again, once finding out about the base level being so off, I managed to tweek a good profile.

- The first couple of days I had an annoying issue when using Tidal. Loading new songs, or jumping within a song was very slow. There was also an underlying digital sound when loading. Digital hissing and clicking. I played around with the network settings, changing to music quality first, which seemed to help on some occations. But it was still present other times. I finally tried changing my wireless source to a different (and quicker) router. This solved the issue. A HUGE relief!

- And a final minor issue. When running Eddict from my android Galaxy tab, Tidal is not available in the Cloud service menu. Only Spotify. Both are available in the iphone app. Is this expected or a local bug?

After two days use, I was quite underwhelmed to be honest. But by figuring out the mentioned kinks, I am enjoying it a lot! The build is very good, and the hardware seems good. But the app and interface are really second rate and weigh down the overall experience. All in all I am happy though. :)

This turned in to a looong post, but hopefully this might be of assistance to anyone with similar struggles to mine. And hopefully Shanling can look at the EQ issues, elaborate on whether there are any differences between running Tidal from the app and via the streaming service on the unit, and regarding the android app not being able to run Tidal from cloud service.

Thanks!

Forgot to tag @Shanling. Thanks for a nice product. Here is some constructive feedback. :)

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #726 of 899
Hello,
I'm a (reasonably) happy owner of an EM5, purchased earlier this year.
This is mainly a question for @Shanling (or for anyone who experienced my same issue).
Like @Gift posted earlier, I suddenly discovered that my Amazon Music app was out of date and it was no longer playing anything. I made a couple of attempts to make it working: I cancelled the app from the application list and add it again, then I cleaned the data in the internal storage and I registered again myself on the app: everything without results. So I finally unistalled the app. According to @Gift this was the thing to do.
Unfortunately, I don't really know how to reinstall the latest version of the Amazon App.
I tried to find instructions on the user manual or on the Shanling website, but I had no success.
Please, don't tell me I have to make a factory reset and reinstall everything...
... And, in case, please give me the instructions step by step... I'm not an expert.
In addition, I think such instructions will be precious any time an app turns to be out of date.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #727 of 899
Hi all

Thanks!

Thanks for feedback.

On EQ, when enabled, it applies negative gain, so the EQ all set at 0 and normal sound will be at lower volume than normal.

The way the Tidal is integrated on the iPhone Eddict player is different than our Android app or on EM5 itself. That's why it's missing from Android Eddict app and why the EQ make no effect on Tidal on EM5.

Tidal app on EM5 is heavily outdated and it can cause playback issues. The main change was in August, with release of Tidal Max. We are still waiting for our software team to release update for this.

Hello,
I'm a (reasonably) happy owner of an EM5, purchased earlier this year.
This is mainly a question for @Shanling (or for anyone who experienced my same issue).
Like @Gift posted earlier, I suddenly discovered that my Amazon Music app was out of date and it was no longer playing anything. I made a couple of attempts to make it working: I cancelled the app from the application list and add it again, then I cleaned the data in the internal storage and I registered again myself on the app: everything without results. So I finally unistalled the app. According to @Gift this was the thing to do.
Unfortunately, I don't really know how to reinstall the latest version of the Amazon App.
I tried to find instructions on the user manual or on the Shanling website, but I had no success.
Please, don't tell me I have to make a factory reset and reinstall everything...
... And, in case, please give me the instructions step by step... I'm not an expert.
In addition, I think such instructions will be precious any time an app turns to be out of date.
Thank you in advance for your help.

You need to run factory reset if you manually uninstall the apps from the system.

When the app causing issue due to it being outdated, our software team needs to release firmware update with updated app inside.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #728 of 899
You need to run factory reset if you manually uninstall the apps from the system.
When the app causing issue due to it being outdated, our software team needs to release firmware update with updated app inside.
Thanks for your reply.
The only thing that bothers me is either:
- if the Amazon Music app available in the existing firmware is effectively outdated, the factory reset will be useless;
- if the factory reset will make the preinstalled Amazon App playing, the former uninstalled app stopped working because of a system fault...
What am I missing?

Rgds

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #729 of 899
The only thing that bothers me is either:
- if the Amazon Music app available in the existing firmware is effectively outdated, the factory reset will be useless;
- if the factory reset will make the preinstalled Amazon App playing, the former uninstalled app stopped working because of a system fault...
What am I missing?
"Catch 22" Situation: Reset to default not working app or not having the app at all? Hmm, what is better? :deadhorse:

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #730 of 899
The main reason why I have not returned the EM5 when I experienced all the software bugs in the first few days of listening, aside from the good sound, was that the Shanling is one of the very few devices on the market to have Apple Music application natively installed, and Apple Music is what I mainly listen.
If Apple Music should ever stop working (and every now and then I have to restart it because of the software uncertainties, I will use the device to block a door.
You must be very patient if you want to keep this device home.
Had I knew all the troubles at the time of purchasing, I would have certainly chosen a straight DAC+AMP and I kept on playing music form my computer.
So, let's wait for the next firmware update.
Thanks

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #731 of 899
Hi guys. I've just started looking into Roon. Haven't signed up yet. Any tips on how to get best value for it, running Roon integrated with Tidal on the EM5? The editorial part of Roon is most important for me, so I don't mind controlling the music through Tidal.

Edit: Tested it for an evening. Works fairly well to send the music through bluetooth from the mac to the EM5. But that will most likely affect bit and sample rate. So not sure I'll bother go for Roon.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #734 of 899
Shanling made excelent hardware equipment , very musical.( daps, streamers,dacs) but have two HORRIBLE FLAWS :

1- Bad software implementation. we always use a final software version but look like a beta software instead. (Other users , like me that follow Shanling over time know that)

2- Terrible customer service. (Almost all people in Shanling must be deaf or blind , because they never listen or read our complaints)

Shanling
Hello! The last software update for EM5 was released 11 months ago and, despite obvious flaws in the software and errors pointed out by users and your loyal fans, not a single patch was released.
Please tell me, is the device support completed?

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #735 of 899
Hello! The last software update for EM5 was released 11 months ago and, despite obvious flaws in the software and errors pointed out by users and your loyal fans, not a single patch was released.
Please tell me, is the device support completed?
Software team was planning one for end of October, but it got delayed due to dealing some issues with Tidal MQA playback. It should be coming out soon.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back