Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #676 of 899
I could be interested of the EM5 if the price is right. I'm from EU, i.e. it needs to be the 220v version.
The right price in Europe is EUR 799,- (incl. VAT), 230V*) version and fast delivery). :thumbsup:

*) Voltage levels
Most of the world population (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and much of South America) use a supply that is within 6% of 230 V. In the United Kingdom and Australia the nominal supply voltage is 230 V +10%/−6% to accommodate the fact that most transformers are in fact still set to 240 V. The 230 V standard has become widespread so that 230 V equipment can be used in most parts of the world with the aid of an adapter or a change to the equipment's plug to the standard for the specific country.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #677 of 899
Thanks for the information. I just want to be extra sure that the DIGITAL outputs have the adjustable output as I've already gone through two devices that didn't support it (Audiolab M-DAC+, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen) and M-DAC+ was sold to me especially caliming it had this feature.
Since you haven't gotten an answer to this question specifically yet, I'll answer it for you.

From what I can find, you CANNOT control volume with the EM5 when using a DIGITAL output.

Here's my test... I connected my EM5 to my Fiio K9 Pro with a Toslink optical cable. The signal was passed to the K9 regardless of what output setting I tested (Phones, Line-out, and Pre-out) and the volume setting for the EM5 had no effect on the K9.

So yea, if you want to use a device to output digitally and also control the volume, the EM5 is not it. I'm also not aware of any devices that support that. As far as I know, digital audio information doesn't usually contain volume information. (EDIT: I guess some computers have a digital out and you can still control the volume through the computer software, so in theory it's possible, but I'm still not aware of any standalone devices that support this.)

As a side note, if you care about MQA, the EM5 cannot output MQA files digitally through the digital outputs, even if the receiving DAC supports MQA rendering. I tested this with local MQA files as well as playing MQA through Tidal. All MQA songs were silent, but non-MQA songs played fine.

I hope you were able to see this before wasting any money.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #678 of 899
Since you haven't gotten an answer to this question specifically yet, I'll answer it for you.

From what I can find, you CANNOT control volume with the EM5 when using a DIGITAL output.

Here's my test... I connected my EM5 to my Fiio K9 Pro with a Toslink optical cable. The signal was passed to the K9 regardless of what output setting I tested (Phones, Line-out, and Pre-out) and the volume setting for the EM5 had no effect on the K9.

So yea, if you want to use a device to output digitally and also control the volume, the EM5 is not it. I'm also not aware of any devices that support that. As far as I know, digital audio information doesn't usually contain volume information. (EDIT: I guess some computers have a digital out and you can still control the volume through the computer software, so in theory it's possible, but I'm still not aware of any standalone devices that support this.)

As a side note, if you care about MQA, the EM5 cannot output MQA files digitally through the digital outputs, even if the receiving DAC supports MQA rendering. I tested this with local MQA files as well as playing MQA through Tidal. All MQA songs were silent, but non-MQA songs played fine.

I hope you were able to see this before wasting any money.
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.
I guess digital attenuation is an edge case and seems to have bit of a bad rep too. My opinion is that when do correctly (24/32-bit space) it is as good as possible. Well, my quest continues...

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #679 of 899
Dzięki za informacje. Chcę tylko mieć pewność, że wyjścia DIGITAL mają regulowane wyjście, ponieważ przeszedłem już przez dwa urządzenia, które go nie obsługiwały (Audiolab M-DAC+, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen), a M-DAC+ został mi sprzedany, szczególnie caliming, który miał tę funkcję.

Mógłbym być zainteresowany EM5, jeśli cena jest odpowiednia. Jestem z UE, tzn. musi to być wersja 220v.
Wyjścia DIGITAL nie mają regulacji.

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #680 of 899
Thanks for the information. I just want to be extra sure that the DIGITAL outputs have the adjustable output as I've already gone through two devices that didn't support it (Audiolab M-DAC+, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen) and M-DAC+ was sold to me especially caliming it had this feature.

I could be interested of the EM5 if the price is right. I'm from EU, i.e. it needs to be the 220v version.
DIGITAL are not adjustable. RCA and balanced only, in preamp mode.

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #681 of 899

RCA and balanced is adjustable, Digital is not. Digital are not regulated in any equipment.

May 1, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #683 of 899
RCA and balanced is adjustable, Digital is not. Digital are not regulated in any equipment.
My understanding is that adjustable digital outputs are rare, but they exist. For example Bluesound NODE (N130) has adjustable COAX output, but the device lacks physical volume control wheel which makes it not desirable for me.

May 2, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #684 of 899
My understanding is that adjustable digital outputs are rare, but they exist. For example Bluesound NODE (N130) has adjustable COAX output, but the device lacks physical volume control wheel which makes it not desirable for me.
Am incorrect in assuming that lowering volume in Windows/Mac/iOS/Android is similar to lowering gain in an EQ app? I know a lot, but I’m not 100% sure about everything 😂

May 2, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #685 of 899
I have the Shanling M8 player which is very good and keeps going strong to this day. Had the iBasso's before it and the Cayin which I liked it had transferable 'engines' for different sounds and had a few other too. In order I liked the Shanling M8 first, the Cayin N6 Mk2 (an older one) and the iBasso. The Shanling M8 did everything that the Cayin and the iBasso could do and was even more musical and transparent. I still have it and the Cayin too, but not the iBasso. Curious to how this streamer stacks up to the Shanling M8 which I can't find a reason to sell. It's good.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #686 of 899
Hi,
As I am offered an EA5 for a really stunning price (OK, used but comes with full warranty) I would like to know if Shanling put some efforts in improving the software for this device that I already owned, that could do everything I wanted, which ofered superb sound but was plagued with a horrible and intolerable software flaws.
Those flaws were :
- totally closed Android (not possible to install third party app, with the ridiculous reason that they focused on sound... M8 is then less focused on sound ?)
- device has to be used with third party app as the in-house app is simply not even capable of displaying a cover art wall when browsing...
- device would mostly refuse to jump to next track with most third party apps
- device would simply stop playing tracks after first or second track when driven by third party apps...

Have those problems been adressed (if it is now more compliant with DLNA standard and plays nicely from something like BubbleUPnP it will be enough already :wink:

If not, I'll stick to current solution (which is quite handy) : Music stored on NAS running Emby and/or Plex => Music controlled by Android software called "Symfonium" or "BubbleUPnP" => rendered is Neutron App installed on Fiio m11 Pro : advantage : it has integrated Parametric EQ and can retrieve preset for my headphones.

Problem : it is not trivial to use it as USB DAC for computer audio :frowning2: But I have more or less figured it out...

Thanks for your answers (despite this channel looking dead... probably because of the totally flawed device software).

EDIT : just checked the Shanling official website. The firmware for the EA5 is still at version 1.4. Is there really nothing more recent ?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #687 of 899
Hi,
As I am offered an EA5 for a really stunning price (OK, used but comes with full warranty) I would like to know if Shanling put some efforts in improving the software for this device that I already owned, that could do everything I wanted, which ofered superb sound but was plagued with a horrible and intolerable software flaws.
Those flaws were :
- totally closed Android (not possible to install third party app, with the ridiculous reason that they focused on sound... M8 is then less focused on sound ?)
- device has to be used with third party app as the in-house app is simply not even capable of displaying a cover art wall when browsing...
- device would simply stop playing tracks after first or second track when driven by third party apps...

Have those problems been adressed (if it is now more compliant with DLNA standard and plays nicely from something like BubbleUPnP it will be enough already :wink:

If not, I'll stick to current solution (which is quite handy) : Music stored on NAS running Emby and/or Plex => Music controlled by Android software called "Symfonium" or "BubbleUPnP" => rendered is Neutron App installed on Fiio m11 Pro : advantage : it has integrated Parametric EQ and can retrieve preset for my headphones.

Problem : it is not trivial to use it as USB DAC for computer audio :frowning2: But I have more or less figured it out...

Thanks for your answers (despite this channel looking dead... probably because of the totally flawed device software).

EDIT : just checked the Shanling official website. The firmware for the EA5 is still at version 1.4. Is there really nothing more recent ?
there were no changes that radically changed the situation. all errors plus / minus in their places. it was naive to believe that a product that was worked on by a large number of developers and released to the market is essentially raw software that someone will fine-tune after it hits the market. no one is catching bugs anymore, and the qualifications of employees who provide support for the device after the start of sales of the device are indicated by the release of updates that break some previously working functions or bring devices to bricks, as I did.

If the price is really good and you can use the device through the projection of the screen in the official application, then of course take it.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #688 of 899
there were no changes that radically changed the situation. all errors plus / minus in their places. it was naive to believe that a product that was worked on by a large number of developers and released to the market is essentially raw software that someone will fine-tune after it hits the market. no one is catching bugs anymore, and the qualifications of employees who provide support for the device after the start of sales of the device are indicated by the release of updates that break some previously working functions or bring devices to bricks, as I did.

If the price is really good and you can use the device through the projection of the screen in the official application, then of course take it.

Hi,
The price is about 35% of the regular price when the device came out.
Sold by a shop and with full 2 years warranty...
For that price, some flaws are maybe more forgivable.
And in case they're not, I should be able to sell the device without loosing too much money (I hope).

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #689 of 899
Hi,
Those flaws were :

- System is still closed, our software team has no plans to open it up.

- Eddict Player app in Synclink mode is unable to display the art from MicroSD card while browsing. It loads up after you play some file from the given album.
If you use Screen mirroring, it will show the album cover, same as on the device.

- This issue can still sometimes happen, but should be less common, according to our software team.

Can confirm that V1.4 is the most recent firmware update for EA5, released at the end of December.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 26, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #690 of 899
- System is still closed, our software team has no plans to open it up.

- Eddict Player app in Synclink mode is unable to display the art from MicroSD card while browsing. It loads up after you play some file from the given album.
If you use Screen mirroring, it will show the album cover, same as on the device.

- This issue can still sometimes happen, but should be less common, according to our software team.

Can confirm that V1.4 is the most recent firmware update for EA5, released at the end of December.
Hi,
Thanks for the answers.
Do I understand that there will be no further support for this device ?
I would be a pity as it was a really great idea and has a really nice price.

If there is no support to expect I really see no reason to keep the system closed.
Open it up would probably allow existing customers to stay loayl to Shanling as they won't feel abandoned.
I know you say that you're focuysing on sound, but I do not think that a Shanling M8 can be blamed for bad sound and that one allows to install custom apps...
As you already have that one, porting it to EA5/EM5 should be something quite trivial.

That would allow to have apps that would support parametric EQ, which the EA5 does not support I think :frowning2:

Or at leaast it would be nice to enable full compliance with DLNA protocol.
That would allow an app like Neutron to control the EA5 and have Parametric EQ transmitted directly to renderer.

Anyways, I may take the device as it is offered for a brilliant price (350€ directly from a dealer) to put in my holiday house...
Would allow to have a nice device in my holiday location.

Regards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back