Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Jan 31, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #301 of 896
Hi, any one can tell how the sound character of EM5 via headphone out? I used to be shanling M0 and M6 user and I found they are warm sounding and does the headphone out are clean and silent ?
This is the first Shanling product I've owned, so I can't reliably compare it to their other products. However, according to their product page, the EM5 has the Shanling "house sound", so I'd expect it to sound like their DAPs.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #302 of 896
This is the first Shanling product I've owned, so I can't reliably compare it to their other products. However, according to their product page, the EM5 has the Shanling "house sound", so I'd expect it to sound like their DAPs.
thanks I appreciate it, look forward to hear from others feedback/perspectives...

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #303 of 896
Hi, i want use EM5 as (Fixed Volume) Line-Out DAC mode with RCA out..

i do not touch to volume knobe.. but sound is not stable.. volume increase and decreases..

i guess.. my Nuprime DAC-10 is to protect circuits from high voltage from EM5 RCA out (at Turbo Gain Mode fixed)..

i can not change Turbo-Gain at Line-Out mode..

i want change Low, Medium, High or Turbo gain over Line-Out mode..

soo.. this is very important for preamp compatibility.

you can work with this..

and other bad thing is remote control at "Wireless Project" when my Apple Tablet screen at standby.. Wireless Project is disconnected..
and i have to enter EM5 projection at start point again.. its annoying thing..

Wireless Project shouldn't disconnect unless I want or i choose...

its your second homework.. :)

and its your 3rd homework is Digital Outputs..

when i'm listening to Qobuz.. Coaxial Digital Output Fixed 44KHz.. did not send 48KHz, 96KHz or 192Khz..

SPDIF Optical Output even did not send a data.. There is no sound at all..

at serious streamer products.. all Digital outputs must send audio withot any implamentation..

its must be Pass-Through transfer..

we are audiophilles.. do not want resampling or replay-gain etc.. over original audio signal..

its very very annoying thing.. for such a good quality streamer like EM5..

sorry for my bad english and thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #304 of 896
BTWA i can use with my DAC over EM5 "USB-A Input".. Folks!

this is something very precious!

Cos EM5 USB-A input acting like a USB DAC-Out..

and sound performence more better then Coax and Optical Digital outputs..

did you know this thing?

i'm really happy with this "USB-A DAC out" thing.. :)

My EM5 Firmware version is v1.27

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #305 of 896
Hi, got the EM5 for few days.
Really happy with it but i found at least one bug.
I'm using the latest firmware (V1.27), upgrade it with local file cause shanling's server seems unreachable from France.
  • Gain mode "low" is higher than "medium". It seems to be "high" but not "turbo".

I have another issue but with Eddict Player, i tried to reach the support but never got an answer.
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20+ running latest android 12.
Also tried on a Poco X3 running android 11.
Whenever i launch it, i have the Eddict Player logo and then, it shut down.

Also, i have two questions :
  • Is it possible to adjust volume with the sceen off ?
  • Is it normal that even if i play a mqa file it still show PCM 44.1KHz ?
Thanks.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #308 of 896
I'm using the latest firmware (V1.27), upgrade it with local file cause shanling's server seems unreachable from France.
  • Gain mode "low" is higher than "medium". It seems to be "high" but not "turbo".

I have another issue but with Eddict Player, i tried to reach the support but never got an answer.

Thanks.
I have the same experience with your issue on eddict player. Using samsung S8.

@Shanling any solution to this?
My phone recognizes the em5 as well as my em5 recognizes my phone but when I try to connect it wont allow me. Sometimes it will show the play screen but freezes for 3 seconds then disconnects. Tried to reboot the em5 and eddict app several times but to no avail. It’s totally unusable. Also 1 time the eddict app crashes. Attached a screenshot for reference. EM5 on 1.27 version.

Attachments

• 24AC909A-42E8-4544-97A7-E907C1C7EB49.jpeg
    24AC909A-42E8-4544-97A7-E907C1C7EB49.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 09355747-4542-41FB-93B9-B6CE19ED3231.jpeg
    09355747-4542-41FB-93B9-B6CE19ED3231.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #309 of 896
Ever since the latest firmware update to 1.27 for my EM5, all of my favorite artists I have bookmarked have disappeared in Qobuz. But when I use Qobuz on my Shanling M6 21, they are all there. Not sure why this is happening, but it is rather annoying.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #311 of 896
Hi, i want use EM5 as (Fixed Volume) Line-Out DAC mode with RCA out..

i do not touch to volume knobe.. but sound is not stable.. volume increase and decreases..

i guess.. my Nuprime DAC-10 is to protect circuits from high voltage from EM5 RCA out (at Turbo Gain Mode fixed)..

i can not change Turbo-Gain at Line-Out mode..

i want change Low, Medium, High or Turbo gain over Line-Out mode..

soo.. this is very important for preamp compatibility.

you can work with this..

and other bad thing is remote control at "Wireless Project" when my Apple Tablet screen at standby.. Wireless Project is disconnected..
and i have to enter EM5 projection at start point again.. its annoying thing..

Wireless Project shouldn't disconnect unless I want or i choose...

its your second homework.. :)

and its your 3rd homework is Digital Outputs..

when i'm listening to Qobuz.. Coaxial Digital Output Fixed 44KHz.. did not send 48KHz, 96KHz or 192Khz..

SPDIF Optical Output even did not send a data.. There is no sound at all..

at serious streamer products.. all Digital outputs must send audio withot any implamentation..

its must be Pass-Through transfer..

we are audiophilles.. do not want resampling or replay-gain etc.. over original audio signal..

its very very annoying thing.. for such a good quality streamer like EM5..

sorry for my bad english and thank you.

When enabled Line-Out mode, all gain settings and volume settings are disabled.
If you need to adjust volume for your amplifier, please keep EM5 in Pre-Out mode and set fitting volume.

We are aware of issue of disconnecting when turning off screen. So far no fix for this.

Will check on the digital outputs in combination with Qobuz.

Thanks.

Testing gain, I see no issues with it. As I change to higher gains, it's getting louder.
Did you use it with local files or some streaming service? Which headphone output?

App was the V1.1.18 version? Wouldn't be the first time it was crashing on some devices.

At current time it's not possible to adjust volume with screen off. I know, it's quite stupid and we asked software team to adjust this.

MQA files should be displayed as 8X unfolded, so 352.8/384 should be visible in status bar. Keep in mind that MQA playback is supported only for local playback and Tidal, not for USB DAC.

noticed that if you have 2 different albums with the same album title, the tracks from both albums will mixed up. @Shanling , pls include a fix on your next firmware update. thanks!

This is standard problem of our music software, not sure if it will be adjusted.

I have the same experience with your issue on eddict player. Using samsung S8.

@Shanling any solution to this?
My phone recognizes the em5 as well as my em5 recognizes my phone but when I try to connect it wont allow me. Sometimes it will show the play screen but freezes for 3 seconds then disconnects. Tried to reboot the em5 and eddict app several times but to no avail. It’s totally unusable. Also 1 time the eddict app crashes. Attached a screenshot for reference. EM5 on 1.27 version.

Please what app version you were using?

been couple of days and no sign of @Shanling appearance, it really affecting my POV and decision in getting EM5, please

We had nationwide holidays, for us it was almost 3 weeks. Today is first day back in office.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 16, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #312 of 896
Testing gain, I see no issues with it. As I change to higher gains, it's getting louder.
Did you use it with local files or some streaming service? Which headphone output?

App was the V1.1.18 version? Wouldn't be the first time it was crashing on some devices.

At current time it's not possible to adjust volume with screen off. I know, it's quite stupid and we asked software team to adjust this.

MQA files should be displayed as 8X unfolded, so 352.8/384 should be visible in status bar. Keep in mind that MQA playback is supported only for local playback and Tidal, not for USB DAC.
So i tested with local/tidal/usb i have no problem using the 6.35mm output using a Philips Fidelio X3 and Meze 99 Classic (4.4mm balanced cable for Meze is on its way and sadly doesn't have any XLR stuff).

But the rear RCA output is acting like this (again no XLR stuff so can(t test it) :
  • Low => Turbo
  • Medium => Medium
  • High => High
  • Turbo => Turbo
I find others bugs.

Doesn't know why but the EM5 have lost wifi signal, so i wanted to reconnect it, but no network was shown.
Turn off the wifi on the EM5. Tried to turn it on again. But it never worked.
I had to reboot it.

When using Tidal, if you want to access system settings (to change gain for example) you have to scroll down from the top of the screen no other way to access it, but so far not a reel problem. However, instead of using all the width of the screen, the drop down menu is a tiny thing in upper right corner, so you should have good eyes and little fingers to touch the setting shortcut.

About Eddict Player, it was indeed version 1.1.18. But is there any way to give you some input to fix this bug ?
As i explained i tried it on Samsung and Poco (so Xiaomi), if you combined the last Q4 2021 they represent 43% of market share.
So it's highly probable that i'm not the only one who have troubles.
But if can provide you any input, i work as a software developper for almost two decade, so if you want me to use adb to help you ton find out, i will be glad to help.

Thank you for your feedback on the volume adjustement, it's not a must have thing, but it will improve the "woman acceptance factor" for me.
I have so many stuff, and for my wife and my son having to deal with pre amp and amp is quite difficult some times.
So when i explained my wife she has to press the knob then turn it to adjust the volume, she looked at me : "Why ???!!!".

For the MQA, i understand and it work perfectly.
But can i ask you why ? I use Tidal on my desktop computer and Tidal app have an option : "Passthrough MQA" (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005773698-Optimizing-HiFi-).
  • Passthrough MQA disables software decoding of MQA. When this is selected TIDAL will leave the unfolding up to your connected DAC. This should only be selected if you have an MQA compatible DAC.

Thank you for your answers and time, and happy new year :wink:

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #313 of 896
Please what app version you were using?
Eddict app is V1.1.18

Today much worse is happening.
The EM5 just stopped working. When I turned it on it shows a message “Shanling Music Keeps Stopping “. And the background keeps rebooting. So literally I can’t play anything.

The EM5 when I recieved it is at version 1.27.

Attachments

• 5EC863B2-929D-4A6A-8090-5D389B9262F4.jpeg
    5EC863B2-929D-4A6A-8090-5D389B9262F4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • D0A039F2-4A10-4D8B-AFF2-BFC38B3E1919.jpeg
    D0A039F2-4A10-4D8B-AFF2-BFC38B3E1919.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #314 of 896
So i tested with local/tidal/usb i have no problem using the 6.35mm output using a Philips Fidelio X3 and Meze 99 Classic (4.4mm balanced cable for Meze is on its way and sadly doesn't have any XLR stuff).

But the rear RCA output is acting like this (again no XLR stuff so can(t test it) :
  • Low => Turbo
  • Medium => Medium
  • High => High
  • Turbo => Turbo
I find others bugs.

Doesn't know why but the EM5 have lost wifi signal, so i wanted to reconnect it, but no network was shown.
Turn off the wifi on the EM5. Tried to turn it on again. But it never worked.
I had to reboot it.

When using Tidal, if you want to access system settings (to change gain for example) you have to scroll down from the top of the screen no other way to access it, but so far not a reel problem. However, instead of using all the width of the screen, the drop down menu is a tiny thing in upper right corner, so you should have good eyes and little fingers to touch the setting shortcut.

About Eddict Player, it was indeed version 1.1.18. But is there any way to give you some input to fix this bug ?
As i explained i tried it on Samsung and Poco (so Xiaomi), if you combined the last Q4 2021 they represent 43% of market share.
So it's highly probable that i'm not the only one who have troubles.
But if can provide you any input, i work as a software developper for almost two decade, so if you want me to use adb to help you ton find out, i will be glad to help.

Thank you for your feedback on the volume adjustement, it's not a must have thing, but it will improve the "woman acceptance factor" for me.
I have so many stuff, and for my wife and my son having to deal with pre amp and amp is quite difficult some times.
So when i explained my wife she has to press the knob then turn it to adjust the volume, she looked at me : "Why ???!!!".

For the MQA, i understand and it work perfectly.
But can i ask you why ? I use Tidal on my desktop computer and Tidal app have an option : "Passthrough MQA" (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005773698-Optimizing-HiFi-).

Thank you for your answers and time, and happy new year :wink:

We tested it in the office this morning and we are unable to replicate this issue with gain and RCA outputs. It behaves as it should. Not sure what might be causing it on your unit.

When you enable Tidal, it has to shift player to special landscape mode, to fit the app. Which then causes other menus to also be shifted to this mode. So far there is no way how to avoid this.

Ok, will report these phones to software team. We are seeing quite a bit of these crashing issues.

MQA is not supported over USB input due to the EM5 being Android device, not a simple USB DAC. It works with the USB input in different way, which doesn't allow for MQA playback.

Eddict app is V1.1.18

Today much worse is happening.
The EM5 just stopped working. When I turned it on it shows a message “Shanling Music Keeps Stopping “. And the background keeps rebooting. So literally I can’t play anything.

The EM5 when I recieved it is at version 1.27.

Sent you PM to check on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back