Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Aug 18, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #496 of 896
My Shanling EM5 arrived at my house yesterday. Almost everything is perfect! I got a surprise! The USB B input port supports connection to Smartphone and portable DAPs. And I thought that this functionality didn't exist, I almost choose to buy the Fiio K9 Pro because of that! All you need is an adapter or a Type B to Type C cable and the audio will be transmitted in Bit Perfect mode through programs such as USB Audio Player, Neutron Music and Hiby Music. That was a great surprise! On the other hand, the coaxial input failed, from USB C to coaxial there is no audio coming, likewise from 4.4mm or 3.5mm outputs to coaxial there is no sound again from the EM5. I need to find out if there's a way to fix this! If anyone can help me I would appreciate it! Another problem, Tidal and Spotify do not connect, indicate that there is no internet connection and logging in becomes practically impossible. it must be a software glitch and hopefully the next update can get around this issue. For now, Tidal and Spotify can only be used in bluetooth or Airplay mode! For a while I need to wait patiently for a solution!
Try to upgrade firmware...

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #498 of 896
My Shanling EM5 arrived at my house yesterday. Almost everything is perfect! I got a surprise! The USB B input port supports connection to Smartphone and portable DAPs. And I thought that this functionality didn't exist, I almost choose to buy the Fiio K9 Pro because of that! All you need is an adapter or a Type B to Type C cable and the audio will be transmitted in Bit Perfect mode through programs such as USB Audio Player, Neutron Music and Hiby Music. That was a great surprise! On the other hand, the coaxial input failed, from USB C to coaxial there is no audio coming, likewise from 4.4mm or 3.5mm outputs to coaxial there is no sound again from the EM5. I need to find out if there's a way to fix this! If anyone can help me I would appreciate it! Another problem, Tidal and Spotify do not connect, indicate that there is no internet connection and logging in becomes practically impossible. it must be a software glitch and hopefully the next update can get around this issue. For now, Tidal and Spotify can only be used in bluetooth or Airplay mode! For a while I need to wait patiently for a solution!
Sorry to hear that, Iam using latest update (did factory reset too) Tidal, Apple Music, Qobuz works well - steaming and sounds well, i am using LAN connection.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #499 of 896

Please what device you are using as coaxial transport?
I'm not really sure what you mean by "USB-C to Coaxial"?

We are not seeing other reports of issues with Spotify or Tidal. Do you have your EM5 connected over cable or Wi-Fi? Other internet functions (like OTA update, wi-fi file transfer) seems to connect?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #500 of 896
1660887483151.png

USB C to Coax (2 types that I know)

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #502 of 896

We are not seeing other reports of issues with Spotify or Tidal. Do you have your EM5 connected over cable or Wi-Fi? Other internet functions (like OTA update, wi-fi file transfer) seems to connect?
I'm trying to output audio with Hiby R6 2020, but coaxial in Shanling EM5 doesn't works. I tryed to log in spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and Deezer by Wifi 2.0, Wifi 5.0 and Lan Cable Internet connection and nothing works! I made the firmware update and I don't understand why only in my Shanling EM5 this problem is happening!

Attachments

• 20220819_075205_HDR.jpg
    20220819_075205_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_075123_HDR.jpg
    20220819_075123_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #505 of 896
I made a second

I made a second factory reset and streaming services are connecting and working now. But... The issue with coaxial no sound still remains!

Attachments

• 20220819_123147.jpg
    20220819_123147.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_122916_HDR.jpg
    20220819_122916_HDR.jpg
  • 20220819_122452_HDR.jpg
    20220819_122452_HDR.jpg
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #506 of 896
I made a second

I made a second factory reset and streaming services are connecting and working now. But... The issue with coaxial no sound still remains!
Are you able to try any other coaxial source apart from the Hiby?
On your HiBy, I see the "Direct 384kHz. Do you have any upsampling enabled? Coaxial is limited to 192.
Also, on second picture, are you playing MQA file at full 705 kHz unpacking??

It would explain the crazy messages on EM5 (32 kHz?? PCM format not supported?)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #507 of 896
Hello @Shanling,

I am a recent owner of the EM5 and I am very impressed and happy with the device, I do have a issue though.

The issue only seems to be when streaming music via Apple Music (I only use Apple Music, so not sure about others). Music via networks service NAS is ok.

Issue: When I play a playlist or album (downloaded or online, normal order or shuffle, lossy and lossles) it happens that the end of the song is cut short for a few seconds and the next song is starting a couple seconds later in the song.

Firmware is latest (1.41) and factory resetted.

Is this a know issue?

Best regards

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #508 of 896
Are you able to try any other coaxial source apart from the Hiby?
On your HiBy, I see the "Direct 384kHz. Do you have any upsampling enabled? Coaxial is limited to 192.
Also, on second picture, are you playing MQA file at full 705 kHz unpacking??

It would explain the crazy messages on EM5 (32 kHz?? PCM format not supported?)
Not at the moment because I don't have another audio device that uses coaxial cable. I tried playing files in 16bit 44Khz resolution and still no audio. I tested it with several players like Bubbleupnp, Neutron Music Player, 432 Player, and nothing works with coaxial cable for EM5. Maybe is a problem in EM5!

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #509 of 896
@Shanling , Can I connect Shanling EM5 analog outputs to two devices simultaneously ? (like two amps or an amp and sub) . I dont know if the outputs of Shanling EM5 are shared . I saw that if XLR output is true balanced I may consider a custom cable as the following diagram to 'split' the XLR output to positive and negative phase into two pairs of RCA. (see the picture). thks

Attachments

• how to connect EM5 to two amps.jpeg
    how to connect EM5 to two amps.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #510 of 896
I recently connected a WiiM Mini to the EM5 via the optical input. I stream Tidal (up to 24/48, no MQA). Streaming through the WiiM results in a big improvement in sound quality compared to streaming via the EM5's built-in Tidal app or Bluetooth. And using the EM5 as the DAC is vastly superior than simply plugging the WiiM into my stereo. The WiiM Home app is an excellent controller; besides Tidal, I can use it to stream files stored on my phone up to 24/192. The WiiM enabled me to group my stereo speakers to my Amazon Echo in the next room, and I can control everything with Alexa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back