Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jun 11, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #1,096 of 1,352
Anyone using LO from their M9? I got the Arya Stealth and love it. Thinking about jumping back into desktop setup again. Was planning on to just use the M9 as DAC and get standalone amp.
I've only had M8 and loved its sound signature connected to desktop amps like Flux FA-10 back then.
The downside of Shanling DAP implementations is that they don't provide real LO so using either M8 or M9 with a balanced cable into dual XLR will result in double amping

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #1,097 of 1,352
I just realized that my M9 using their playback app is lumping 3 albums all titled 'Live' into one artist - even though it is Cassandra Wilson, it also is lumping in a Shadowfax album and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Live as well. The tags are correct

Help!

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,098 of 1,352
I have seen this same behavior in my M9...but conceptually it may make sense. I had about 200 tracks under the album "Greatest Hits," but it's because I have so many hits collections from so many different artists on my DAP...and all of them are tagged with the album title "Greatest Hits." Sadly, it looks like the Shanling app does not offer secondary sorting (i.e. sort by album title first, then by artist)--or if they do, I simply haven't found that option myself. If you are experiencing this issue in the playback app in the same way I am (and you might not be if I have not understood you correctly), the easiest thing to do would simply be to adjust the "Live" tags in the album metadata to include the name of the band as well; then the sort should be appropriate regardless of whether you are viewing your files by album or artist.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,099 of 1,352
just installed the Hiby plaer app - it gets it right.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,100 of 1,352
oddly enough, i thought Hiby wrote the Shanling app in the first place. The Shanling player, under artist, lists albums using the cover art as the thumbnail for each album. The Hiby app lists all the songs by an artist, but has tiny thumbnails of the ablum art, and you can select an option to 'show album xxx' (don;t remember the exact verbigae), but that pulls up the album, so you can play all the tracks in the correct (i.e., the way the artist intneded them to be sequenced) order.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #1,101 of 1,352
I just realized that my M9 using their playback app is lumping 3 albums all titled 'Live' into one artist - even though it is Cassandra Wilson, it also is lumping in a Shadowfax album and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Live as well. The tags are correct

Help!

Yeah, this is one of issue of Shanling App, it's not able to distinguish different albums with same album tag. :frowning2:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 28, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #1,102 of 1,352
Wrong post.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,104 of 1,352
Yesterday, I was listening to Tidal in headphone mode with Arya. It started to crackle after about 30 minutes of listening. Initially I thought it was my Arya, but when I use other streaming apps like KKBox, there is no crackling. After I restart M9, the crackling seems to be gone. This is not specific to MQA tracks. Anyone else has this experience?

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #1,105 of 1,352
Got the Arya stealth to pair with M9. I think it sounds pretty good with Susvara as a reference point. I feel M9 can drive Arya to its potential, but maybe with better amp, the bass can tighten up some and stage may open up more. I don't listen to headphones much anymore, I bought it more for M9, and see what it can do.
My Sundaras sounded bery bright with the M9. The bass was almost non existent, don't know why. After plugging them into 170e worth ifi zen dac v2, the bass was back, and what a bass! For me the M9 sounded best with iems.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,106 of 1,352
My Sundaras sounded bery bright with the M9. The bass was almost non existent, don't know why. After plugging them into 170e worth ifi zen dac v2, the bass was back, and what a bass! For me the M9 sounded best with iems.
I realized M9 sounds better with headphones in high gain mode but not in headphone mode. Which mode were you playing on with Sundara?

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,107 of 1,352
I realized M9 sounds better with headphones in high gain mode but not in headphone mode. Which mode were you playing on with Sundara?
The highest output available on the M9. I've tried everything available. So it didn't do the trick with planars for me but it was beautiful with iems.
Now I'm rocking the dx320 with the amp 13 (korg tubes) and for me they are on the same level, but the dx323 has even more bass.
Anyways I'm considering coming back to the M9 some day, as it was a very special implementation of the SS amp.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #1,109 of 1,352
The highest output available on the M9. I've tried everything available. So it didn't do the trick with planars for me but it was beautiful with iems.
Now I'm rocking the dx320 with the amp 13 (korg tubes) and for me they are on the same level, but the dx323 has even more bass.
Anyways I'm considering coming back to the M9 some day, as it was a very special implementation of the SS amp.
It sounds pretty good with Arya SE. It is enjoyable for me to listen to it. I actually bought the Arya for the M9. Lol. I agree IEMs is there best I have heard. Ibasso usually hisses with my westone.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #1,110 of 1,352
It sounds pretty good with Arya SE. It is enjoyable for me to listen to it. I actually bought the Arya for the M9. Lol. I agree IEMs is there best I have heard. Ibasso usually hisses with my westone.
Which IBasso hisses? Have you heard the dx320? Man its a different world. Best dacs on the market + Amp13 Korg Tube. This is a beast. Im using Thieaudio Monarch MkII and they arent very sensitive but my other iems <16 Ohm dont hiss at all.
I still think that the M9 is an AMAZING sounding dap, its a top class! But the dx320 paired with the amp13 is st least on the same level! AT least! And this tube sound flavor, its a beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back