May 12, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,286 of 5,808
Good night, sleep well, sweet dream. 😍

Attachments

• 20210513_003952.jpg
    20210513_003952.jpg
    1,001 KB · Views: 0
May 12, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #3,287 of 5,808
Hey chaps, hi @Shanling
M8 should work as digital source for external DACs, right?
Anything specific to be configured for that?
Planning to attach an L&P W2 dongle...

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,288 of 5,808
Hi shanling and all, may I know if anyone has issue with bitrate display after updating to the latest firmware? Previously it displayed like 768khz while playing wav/dsd songs in the default shanling app but when I play them now, it displays only 44khz. Youtube plays at 48khz which I believe should be normal. My Apple Music songs also play at 44khz which I believe should be normal too but for tidal, it shouldn’t display 44khz while playing hi-res songs at the very least. What should I do in this case so I can get my high res bitrate back?

May 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,289 of 5,808
Hi shanling and all, may I know if anyone has issue with bitrate display after updating to the latest firmware? Previously it displayed like 768khz while playing wav/dsd songs in the default shanling app but when I play them now, it displays only 44khz. Youtube plays at 48khz which I believe should be normal. My Apple Music songs also play at 44khz which I believe should be normal too but for tidal, it shouldn’t display 44khz while playing hi-res songs at the very least. What should I do in this case so I can get my high res bitrate back?
Hi
Can you provide some example screen shots?
Native Tidal Hifi is 16/44 always and Master goes up to 368
Same with UApp
Cannot comment on DSD...
The only App where I am having inconsistency issues with is Hiby
Flac files being played with 48 khz are raising concerns regarding Android processing rather than direct DAC processing...

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,290 of 5,808
My display seems to work fine...

1.jpg
2.jpg

May 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #3,291 of 5,808
Hmm regarding DSD I cannot comment but for FLAC it seems there's nothing displayed in top status bar right?
I had this behavior once and it disappeared with next reboot...

May 12, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #3,292 of 5,808
Replacement battery can be ordered through our international distributors.

Then exchanging it, easier than modern smartphone, but needs bit of experience and heatgun. Remove back plate, get rid of the old battery(on glue stripes to back panel), put new battery in and just click back panel back into its place.
I'm assuming this wouldn't void the warranty(?). I wouldn't try to service it myself anyway if it's still within the warranty period, but for those of us more inclined to...

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #3,293 of 5,808
Does anyone here use their Shanling M8 as their desktop set up ? I will be using it as a standalone for now for listenign to my laptop connected ....will this deliver a decent sound ?

May 12, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3,294 of 5,808
@Shanling For those of us not so adept with such things, we can send it back via your distributors for such exchange? Thanks
Yes, you can send in products for out of warranty repair in our factory. If using distributor or shipping it directly, that depends more on the exact distributor.

Whats the big deal with replacing the battery, am I missing something?
Right to repair is recently big topic and we made our players to be quite serviceable. It's good thing to know that you have such option when purchasing product.

Hey chaps, hi @Shanling
M8 should work as digital source for external DACs, right?
Anything specific to be configured for that?
Planning to attach an L&P W2 dongle...
Yes, it can work with USB DACs. If using Shanling app or basic streamers(Spotify, Tidal,etc), there is no additional setting. When you connect DAC, it will automatically switch to USB output, in this mode it will not show the sampling rate in status bar.

Compatibility with random DACs is bit different topic. There is so many of them in the world, that we can't promise compatibility.
Is your Wav file 768kHz? If not, something was showing wrong.
DSD should show as a DSD64/128/256 if you are playing in Shanling app. It fill show as PCM if playing in third party apps.
Tidal, if you have the latest version of firmware and latest app, it then depends on files. MQA/Master should show up as a 352.8kHz. Normal files shows up as 44.1kHz.

Hmm regarding DSD I cannot comment but for FLAC it seems there's nothing displayed in top status bar right?
I had this behavior once and it disappeared with next reboot...
Anytime you are playing file through M8 using its analog output, it should show sampling rate. Flac of course included.

I'm assuming this wouldn't void the warranty(?). I wouldn't try to service it myself anyway if it's still within the warranty period, but for those of us more inclined to...
Changing battery yourself with void warranty.
If something happens with battery while player is under warranty, please contact your seller for warranty repair/replacement.

Does anyone here use their Shanling M8 as their desktop set up ? I will be using it as a standalone for now for listenign to my laptop connected ....will this deliver a decent sound ?
M8 is using XMOS on USB input, so it can act like quite a good USB DAC.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 13, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #3,296 of 5,808
May 13, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #3,298 of 5,808
Hi chaps
as this this was discussed in another thread, I am personally hearing clear differences between the different gain settings even volume matched on MEST MKII like
- Turbo
More forward, dynamic, into your face, faster transients, good for engaging EDM etc
- High / Low
More laid back, slower transients, tad more decay, good for more relaxing, musical experience

I read people are liking different gain settings for different IEMs which is of course from general synergy and impedance approach clear, but do you agree there are audible differences between the gain settings using the same IEM volume matched?

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #3,299 of 5,808
Hi chaps
as this this was discussed in another thread, I am personally hearing clear differences between the different gain settings even volume matched on MEST MKII like
- Turbo
More forward, dynamic, into your face, faster transients, good for engaging EDM etc
- High / Low
More laid back, slower transients, tad more decay, good for more relaxing, musical experience

I read people are liking different gain settings for different IEMs which is of course from gegeral synergy and impedance approach clear, but do you agree there are audible differences between the gain settings using the same IEM volume matched?
I have a rule.
If I have to A/B more than one time to hear the difference , it probably isn't worth obsessing over something and I'm not gonna pretend that tiny differences are going to make a difference to my experience. Same goes with tips, cables etc. YMMV

May 13, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #3,300 of 5,808
Hi chaps
- Turbo
- High / Low

I read people are liking different gain settings for different IEMs which is of course from gegeral synergy and impedance approach clear, but do you agree there are audible differences between the gain settings using the same IEM volume matched?
I haven't accurately volume matched, but in the past I've definitely appreciated different technicalities going to turbo mode that fit with your observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back