Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 13, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #3,316 of 5,816
I got a similar impression. I was asked in a PM what I think about the different gain settings and last night made some comparisions.
First I have to admit, I was drawn to Turbo since I liked the energy. But when I managed to find the right volume adjustment for the different gain settings, I found it taking away some details. Tested with Elysium.
Therefore I will stay with High Gain.
If I had a "boring" sounding IEM that doesn't give so much details anyways I would maybe use Turbo Gain.
+1 exactly the same as I heard.

May 13, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3,317 of 5,816
Thx chaps for the feedback and I also got the point about chasing the tail.
1620907816870.jpeg

May 13, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #3,318 of 5,816
Just received the M8. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::heart_eyes:
I don't have to do an A/B with M15.
This is clearly better , I know the sound of my Semper . It sounds much better to my ears. This is no new toy syndrome, lol. Super stocked about it. Thanks to everyone who suggested and raved about it.
The wifi is surprisingly good too, better than the M15 to my surprise.
:beerchug:

May 13, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,319 of 5,816
+1 exactly the same as I heard.
For the record my impression is the same. Lol.
Seriously though I'm not sure how this thing sounds this much better than the M15. I feel it somehow highlights the difference between my IEMs much better.

May 13, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,320 of 5,816
I have a rule.
If I have to A/B more than one time to hear the difference , it probably isn't worth obsessing over something and I'm not gonna pretend that tiny differences are going to make a difference to my experience. Same goes with tips, cables etc. YMMV
I hear the diferemces. It's quite clear. You don't need more than one pass.
I am a recovering audio nihilist, mind you. (all you need are proper use of the 0's and 1's, burn in isn't a thing, cables can't be measured as dif from one another, so don't matter. Amps just increase power and volume, etc)
I am not expecting or looking for minute audio changes, but when they are there, they are there. To my ears (brain), the gain stages subtlety raise and lower transient peaks and, depending on the phones resistance, the control magnitude. Effortless or forced, etc.
So as much as it pains me to believe in the man in the sky, I have seen him with my own eyes.

May 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,321 of 5,816
Seriously though I'm not sure how this thing sounds this much better than the M15
It's all about those amp stages.

May 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,322 of 5,816
I hear the diferemces. It's quite clear. You don't need more than one pass.
I am a recovering audio nihilist, mind you. (all you need are proper use of the 0's and 1's, burn in isn't a thing, cables can't be measured as dif from one another, so don't matter. Amps just increase power and volume, etc)
I am not expecting or looking for minute audio changes, but when they are there, they are there. To my ears (brain), the gain stages subtlety raise and lower transient peaks and, depending on the phones resistance, the control magnitude. Effortless or forced, etc.
So as much as it pains me to believe in the man in the sky, I have seen him with my own eyes.
I was talking in general.

May 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,323 of 5,816
Try this:
Charge your DAP to 100% battery. Play a track you are quite familair with at a comfortable volume level. Listen to it for a few minutes. Then, leave it playing on repeat for an hour or so, at that specific volume setting - perhaps even connected to a charger so the battery is still at pretty mucyh 100% sfyter the hour or so. Then listen to the track again - start it back a the beginning.

Hear any difference? I think warmed-up gear sounds much better.

see what you think.

May 13, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,324 of 5,816
As I am still in burn in phase Martha is always warm so sound is always good 😉😎

May 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,325 of 5,816
As I am still in burn in phase Martha is always warm so sound is always good 😉😎

Hmmmm, my M8 was called Martha...

Can you find a new name so I don't worry that my lover is being unfaithful...!

May 13, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,326 of 5,816

Martna, Pat, or Patty are all synonyms for Martha.

May 13, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,327 of 5,816

Reminds me of some advertisement dunno what for.
Man and woman meet in a bar and introduce themselves to each other and hearing each other's names caused immidiate sympathy.
Name's don't matter but let's say she's called Veronica and his name is Arthur.
When they start kissing in the car you could see some Tattoos appearing on his arm and her leg - from their ex-Partners: Veronica and Arthur
So names can matter...
😉

May 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,329 of 5,816
May 13, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,330 of 5,816
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back