Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #4,396 of 5,808
I would just to buy a LTD wood Auteur version 😬. But my main gripe with the Auteur is that I find it a bit too heavy… I love the tonality though..

Nope, doesn’t require PSU. But you can buy the additional PSU to use with it which I didn’t.
What voltage does the PSU put out do you know ?

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #4,397 of 5,808
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,399 of 5,808
Thanks, is there any info on the voltage output if it is 12V or 24V kind of ? Just out of curiosity
The seller description mentioned rated power at 7w and another up to +/- 17v.
Not sure how accurate that is though lol

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #4,400 of 5,808
The seller description mentioned rated power at 7w and another up to +/- 17v.
Not sure how accurate that is though lol
What is a PSU? what tube amp is that? Looks nice. I enjoy my ba300s with the m8. Doesn't need more power with my headphones/IEMs, but the tonal changes are nice.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4,401 of 5,808
What is a PSU? what tube amp is that? Looks nice. I enjoy my ba300s with the m8. Doesn't need more power with my headphones/IEMs, but the tonal changes are nice.

Power Supply Unit (better known as Linear Power Supply). The argument is that the PSU provides regulated clean and consistent power hence reducing noise floor. That usually makes more sense for plugged in desktop amps. For portables, a good quality built in battery should perform just as well because it is unaffected by inconsistencies from the wall plug current so I didn’t find a PSU necessary.

The tube amp is KAEI TAP-1, it’s a hybrid fully balanced tube amp which is quite rare for a portable of its size and price. And unlike newer portable tube amp models that uses Korg Nutubes, this uses real subminiature vacuum tubes which gives a more realistic tube tonality than the Korg ones.

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #4,402 of 5,808
Power Supply Unit (better known as Linear Power Supply). The argument is that the PSU provides regulated clean and consistent power hence reducing noise floor. That usually makes more sense for plugged in desktop amps. For portables, a good quality built in battery should perform just as well because it is unaffected by inconsistencies from the wall plug current so I didn’t find a PSU necessary.

The tube amp is KAEI TAP-1, it’s a hybrid fully balanced tube amp which is quite rare for a portable of its size and price. And unlike newer portable tube amp models that uses Korg Nutubes, this uses real subminiature vacuum tubes which gives a more realistic tube tonality than the Korg ones.
Yeah. The ba300s uses mini vacuum tube as well. Clean warm sound. Pocketable in size, but I use it at home when I'm sitting relaxing with my DAPs. Thx for the info

Aug 15, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #4,403 of 5,808
Yeah. The ba300s uses mini vacuum tube as well. Clean warm sound. Pocketable in size, but I use it at home when I'm sitting relaxing with my DAPs. Thx for the info

No prob. BA300S is more than enough for IEMs. The KAEI would be more useful if you need more power for more demanding headphones.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #4,405 of 5,808
Has anyone just used M8 and micro SD card without streaming and have you had any glitches doing that???? :thinking::thinking::thinking:
Me, so far no issues. I also don’t regularly monitor for updates. Since I’m not streaming music, I feel (perhaps wrongly) to just let the software be, if it’s stable and the sound signature works fine for me :)

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #4,406 of 5,808
Me, so far no issues. I also don’t regularly monitor for updates. Since I’m not streaming music, I feel (perhaps wrongly) to just let the software be, if it’s stable and the sound signature works fine for me :)
Thank you, I'm on the fence about getting an M8. Everyone says they sound great but all the software problems worry me. :deadhorse::L3000::L3000:

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #4,408 of 5,808
Thank you, I'm on the fence about getting an M8. Everyone says they sound great but all the software problems worry me. :deadhorse::L3000::L3000:
Well, most of the players on the market seem to have their own issues with FW or SW.

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #4,409 of 5,808
I use streaming apps, but I also have 130 albums stored on the phone from my computer that I use with the Shanling music. I've had no issues there, or with anything else on the device. 4gb of ram, If i try to scroll extremely fast from top to bottom of my folders, the images will take a sec to populate, but that is as expected. No issues with the device from my end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back