Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,947 of 5,808
Jun 10, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3,948 of 5,808
D'oh! A magician never reveals his secret! You just ruined the illusion!
I would rather ruin the illusion than let people be running around with ideas of special circuits or settings. In Audio it's better to keep it simply when it can be.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 10, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #3,949 of 5,808
I would rather ruin the illusion than let people be running around with ideas of special circuits or settings. In Audio it's better to keep it simply when it can be.

its okay, I trust my ears :wink: whatever you guys have got going on for turbo mode is clearly very good.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #3,950 of 5,808
Whatever the case may be, kudos to the team on great implementation in terms of sonic quality. :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #3,952 of 5,808
I imagine I'd have to change my underwear after hearing Trailli through the M8 on turbo gain.
Interesting: My 3DT I like on Turbo, very dynamic, but my custom Valkyries sound 'shouty' on Turbo (unless the vol. is set at the perfect notch, even then it's fatigueing)...so I like them on High gain, so it's subtle in a way.... :thinking:

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #3,953 of 5,808
Interesting: My 3DT I like on Turbo, very dynamic, but my custom Valkyries sound 'shouty' on Turbo (unless the vol. is set at the perfect notch, even then it's fatigueing)...so I like them on High gain, so it's subtle in a way.... :thinking:
Likely has to do with the impedance curves of the individual IEM's, which would add to the perceived tone swings. But I am no expert.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #3,954 of 5,808
One thing I noticed is that a higher gain tends to accentuate the upper mids slightly which may become even more apparent with speakers that measure higher in the 1k to 2kish area
Turbo with the Odins straight up shredded my ears if I was wanting a bit of treble zing, and even the legend x's can become shouty at very high gain if you turn it up enough thanks to the pinna gain but you really have to blast them. With other iem's such as the mests, Atlas's, or other relative v shaped ones it can be quite complementary though- it really comes down to compatibility and preference at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #3,955 of 5,808
Anyone know float from borg audio, a German based brand? Do you think float can beat M8? For me, definitely no.

Attachments

• 1623401174600.png
    1623401174600.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,956 of 5,808
Anyone know float from borg audio, a German based brand? Do you think float can beat M8? For me, definitely no.
very exotic device/manufacturer - they provide 5 years warranty!
design is very special too :wink:
reading through the manual I am wondering if that device can play local content / access streaming content without Roon core at all?
On the other hand it seems to have 2 Micro SD card slots, so that would speak for local play capabilities.
Headfi thread for it is 1 page long, no review.
So how it sounds is quite a mystery :wink:

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #3,958 of 5,808
I don’t have the M8 (yet), but this sounds similar to the R8, which also has LMH gain, and Turbo. As you, I do not know specifically what Turbo does. I believe it sounds better with R8, so I have it on. I am sure someone here can provide more insight into what’s going on technically with Turbo mode.
It is similar to that mode with the R8, although I prefer the M8 Turbo. To my ears, the reason the Turbo mode on M8 works so well, is it appears to increase dynamics, although sometimes sacrificing air and stage accuracy. Things are more dynamic and a hair forward, so that contributes to the upper mid, lower treble angst some feel. For the Traillii, whose stage is already massive, this is most certainly not an issue and actually excels in Turbo. For some of my gear I prefer High with a volume nudge, but 99% of my listening is Turbo

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,959 of 5,808
Has anyone tried using the USB DAC function with an iPad as digital source? Thanks

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,960 of 5,808
Has anyone tried using the USB DAC function with an iPad as digital source? Thanks
Not yet but I thought IOS isn't officially supported?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back