Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,403 of 5,808
could this be more of a hardware issues, regarding tidal and thr clicking before the start of the track? Possible a defective unit?

I imagine it has something to do with MQA. I actually did hear a faint clicking when switching tracks on Tidal on the M8.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #2,404 of 5,808
It’s very bizarre, I get one faint click on Qobuz but it doesn’t have any impact on the track or playing an album.

Tidal with mqa will miss out 3/4 second of a song when going to the next track because it does the resampling.

I’m just a bit worried that it’s more hardware because if some people don’t experience this at all then I can’t think what else it could be.

my only option at the moment it to get rid of Qobuz , keep tidal but not use the mqa

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,405 of 5,808
Tidal with mqa will miss out 3/4 second of a song when going to the next track because it does the resampling.

I’m just a bit worried that it’s more hardware because if some people don’t experience this at all then I can’t think what else it could be.

I do have this issue as well with Tidal. I had to think about it for a second since usually without thinking, I usually skip back to the beginning of the song whenever that happened.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,406 of 5,808
Finally just received my M8 after 3 weeks. Thank God it doesn't sound like the X5iii from all the thick/warm comments. But wow the M8 gets real hot and toasty after just 20+ mins.

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,407 of 5,808
Finally just received my M8 after 3 weeks. Thank God it doesn't sound like the X5iii from all the thick/warm comments. But wow the M8 gets real hot and toasty after just 20+ mins.

That's some serious burn-in bruh. Welcome to the club.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,409 of 5,808
It seems to me that the DAP product category has the widest range of 'use-cases' of any Head-Fi product category. In light of this diversity, I humbly ask the following questions:

Is it possible to make a TOTL Android-based DAP be the 'best sounding', and if so, is it a matter of overcoming limitations imposed by using Android at all, vs, a lean, more proprietary OS like Lotoo or L&P use, for example. IOW, is there an "Android tax" over and above any licensing fees in order to bend Android to the audiophile sensibilities?

In what sense, if any, are Android-based DAPs just smartphones without 4G or 5G radios in them? Does the omission reduce cost and/or improve sonic performance, or tdo smart phones really sound just as good, amp driving capabilites aside?

Neither of these questions is meant in any way other than the literal meanings-- I am not judging, just curious what people think - with specific gear examples. I am thinking that it might be a great idea to have two DAPs, to draw an analogy - the bespoke master craftsperson chef's knife, and the multi-tool knife, to cover all bases in a horses-for-courses way.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,410 of 5,808
I'm going to ask the same question that has been asked a million times in this thread. DX300 or M8. One of my requirements hasn't been asked or addressed so that kinda makes this fresh.

I'm looking for a DAP for personal enjoyment of course but I also want to use it as a high fidelity source in my 3 automobiles. Each car system has a digital signal processor with a Spdif input. Two have optical inputs, which I believe would need an adapter. I believe I can also just run a digital on through rca's as well.

So, can anybody tell me which unit would be better as a digital source?

I ask this question in this thread because I had actually ordered a M8. I ordered it through APOS Audio and then I read that they aren't an authorized U.S. dealer. Luckily they refunded my money.

What I like about the M8... Socket on the top. Size. Physical shape. Admiration of most of the people on this thread... Your adjectives are just so, so enticing! D*mn adjectives!!!

What I like about the DX300... Android 9! My primary source has been Spotify and Tidal for years. I own CD's but never copied them in their digital form. That's something that will change but Spotify and Tidal are just so darn handy!

Since streaming is my primary source, I'm afraid that support won't be there, long term on the M8. I'm the type of buyer that holds onto their stuff until it dies. I definitely won't be buying the latest and greatest next month or next year.

I've already purchased a set of Fiio FD5 iem and a pair of 58X Jubilee phones. They can both be returned if need be.

I don't listen to much, if any classical or rap but otherwise, the audio world is my oyster!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #2,411 of 5,808
I'm going to ask the same question that has been asked a million times in this thread. DX300 or M8. One of my requirements hasn't been asked or addressed so that kinda makes this fresh.

I'm looking for a DAP for personal enjoyment of course but I also want to use it as a high fidelity source in my 3 automobiles. Each car system has a digital signal processor with a Spdif input. Two have optical inputs, which I believe would need an adapter. I believe I can also just run a digital on through rca's as well.

So, can anybody tell me which unit would be better as a digital source?

I ask this question in this thread because I had actually ordered a M8. I ordered it through APOS Audio and then I read that they aren't an authorized U.S. dealer. Luckily they refunded my money.

What I like about the M8... Socket on the top. Size. Physical shape. Admiration of most of the people on this thread... Your adjectives are just so, so enticing! D*mn adjectives!!!

What I like about the DX300... Android 9! My primary source has been Spotify and Tidal for years. I own CD's but never copied them in their digital form. That's something that will change but Spotify and Tidal are just so darn handy!

Since streaming is my primary source, I'm afraid that support won't be there, long term on the M8. I'm the type of buyer that holds onto their stuff until it dies. I definitely won't be buying the latest and greatest next month or next year.

I've already purchased a set of Fiio FD5 iem and a pair of 58X Jubilee phones. They can both be returned if need be.

I don't listen to much, if any classical or rap but otherwise, the audio world is my oyster!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Roughly what would be your split in music listening? Car 50% personal home listening 50%? OR will it be more car or more personal home?

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,412 of 5,808
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Roughly what would be your split in music listening? Car 50% personal home listening 50%? OR will it be more car or more personal home?
That's a good and fair question that I hadn't really considered. To answer the question honestly... Android Auto is extremely convenient and I have it in two of my vehicles. If I find out that the SQ is supremely better with the DAC, I'll use it more.

With that said, on the face of it, probably 50/50. If the SQ blows my mind, it'll probably lean more towards the automobiles. I have to drive every day. Not a long commute but I'm always driving somewhere. Even though I'm home most every day, I may not set aside the time to listen to music as anything other than background chatter.

I've just recently gotten back into enjoying quality audio again after a 3-4 year hiatus. I even fired up my home system this week!

And, thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,413 of 5,808
All three of these elements working together to produce the best sound I’ve ever experienced.
VE Elysium, Eletech Plato, Shanling M8
How did you come to the idea to use exactly this cable? Is it so much better than the stock 2,5mm balanced cable?

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,414 of 5,808
How did you come to the idea to use exactly this cable? Is it so much better than the stock 2,5mm balanced cable?
First off, I'm a cable adherent.. I come from a background in 2 channel where cabling isn't really questioned. Sure there are hugely overpriced cables but quality cables are integral to the system..
That said, I had 2 daps for a short while, the DX228ex and the M8 and was trying to decide. The DX228ex had a treble clarity and delicacy that sometimes got a bit strident but had wonderful "air". The M8 had a thicker presence and more musical timbre but a slower transient attack. The DX was strings to the m8's body resonance in a cello for instance. This was with the stock cable. I decided to look for a cable to try and bring in the "air" and transient speed of the DX and in asking questions and recommendations I settled on the Plato and am thrilled at the result. I have tried lots of cables and wanted to try Eletech and the reviews of the Plato being a silver cable without the drawbacks I had experienced with silver cables in the past was intriguing. It's not a simple case of getting what I asked for but there is an overall "cleaning" up of the sound. Everything seems to have a bit more individual presence and clarity. The resonance of the cello's body is there after the bite on the string, just as it should be.
I would never suggest a cable will magically fix something that is "broken" but to eke out that last refinement... for me the Plato has done that.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,415 of 5,808
Preach
First off, I'm a cable adherent.. I come from a background in 2 channel where cabling isn't really questioned. Sure there are hugely overpriced cables but quality cables are integral to the system..
That said, I had 2 daps for a short while, the DX228ex and the M8 and was trying to decide. The DX228ex had a treble clarity and delicacy that sometimes got a bit strident but had wonderful "air". The M8 had a thicker presence and more musical timbre but a slower transient attack. The DX was strings to the m8's body resonance in a cello for instance. This was with the stock cable. I decided to look for a cable to try and bring in the "air" and transient speed of the DX and in asking questions and recommendations I settled on the Plato and am thrilled at the result. I have tried lots of cables and wanted to try Eletech and the reviews of the Plato being a silver cable without the drawbacks I had experienced with silver cables in the past was intriguing. It's not a simple case of getting what I asked for but there is an overall "cleaning" up of the sound. Everything seems to have a bit more individual presence and clarity. The resonance of the cello's body is there after the bite on the string, just as it should be.
I would never suggest a cable will magically fix something that is "broken" but to eke out that last refinement... for me the Plato has done that.
Preach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back