Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #871 of 5,808
Thanks for the link!

It's not that R8 is more relaxed, it's that R8 is MUCH MORE relaxed, M8 is dynamic as hell and commanding your attention I don't know if it's headfonics review that said it's great for late night listen but I beg to differ!

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #872 of 5,808
Thanks for the link!

It's not that R8 is more relaxed, it's that R8 is MUCH MORE relaxed, M8 is dynamic as hell and commanding your attention I don't know if it's headfonics review that said it's great for late night listen but I beg to differ!

Haha maybe headphonics was in a clubing mood lmao

I have the Symbiote and calms the sound a little so so sometimes I even blast into Turbo mode and go wild and crazy on the bass hehe and dynamics!

Woow R8 is that relaxing to you? Dang. I felt R8 to be very natural and lifelike sounds. Very neutral natural presentation but I got bored lol

M8 will bring you fun and its hiss free! Yayyy

How you like the volume wheel do you feel that super tactile precision? I am in love with this wheel its really made my life enjoying my music more as I can.on the fly get the exact volume I want!

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #874 of 5,808
I like to see how it evolves and I am not of the patient kind so I listened straight out of the box after the firmware update...
Why would I be scared? Aside from a notable energy in the lower treble with some pairing I am pretty with the sound already and it will get better :)

First impression this is a DAP that has outstanding dynamics (macro is most impressive, micro is excellent as well) it almost feels like compressed albums suffering from the loudness war regain some much appreciated dynamics! Aside from DX220 Max and WM1Z I have not heard this anywhere else, and the M8 has much more driving authority than the 1Z which makes all the difference IMHO. Contrary tot the Max I have not suffered any harshness but I really feel dynamics is really in the same elite vicinity it's awesome!

Despite the R8 featuring 1088mW at 32ohm in high gain turbo mode vs 840mW for M8, I feel the M8 has more authoritative bass and overall better drive. The M8 is a much more dynamic DAP where R8 feels understated in its own way, both are equally refined that I can hear at least at this stage I'll wait on burn in. There is definitely more lower treble energy and the polite Volt for example come alive with the M8. On the flipside some pairings become a bit too much for me right now, we'll see how it evolves. One thing for sure, the combination of sheer power and physicality along with full mids and fabulous detail retrieval is something to behold but I sure don't hear the mellow and smooth character that I have read about the M8. This baby commands your attention, it's smooth but everything but laid back yes that seems contradictory but that's what I hear.

It think it's a superb upgrade for 1Z lovers, I have tried the new firmwares on 1Z though just the 2.x and 3.x

I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to the burn in phase :)

I keep getting the "Google Play Services require your attention" notification with a message saying that Device is not certified by Google. Does that require factory reset? I can work with APK Pure Tidal works perfectly with it...

Last but not least I expected the M8 to be significantly slower than the R8 but strangely it's quite snappy in operation...

Great first impressions! Glad you're enjoying it, it will only get better from here on. I'll be interested in what you think of the Fibae 7 with the M8, I've just sent my Uni F7 to be turned into a custom as was loving it with the M8 and thought the custom should sound even nicer.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #875 of 5,808
Woow R8 is that relaxing to you? Dang. I felt R8 to be very natural and lifelike sounds. Very neutral natural presentation but I got bored lol. M8 will bring you fun and its hiss free! Yayyy How you like the volume wheel do you feel that super tactile precision? I am in love with this wheel its really made my life enjoying my music more as I can.on the fly get the exact volume I want!

Yeah R8 is smooth and relaxing for sure and not boring by any means to me : its beauty lies in its subtlety and nuances which are exquisite, I can see how the M8 can wow you and it does also have subtleties and nuances but paradoxically I'd say they're pushed back by the power of bass and the detail retrieval that the M8 pushes to your ears although it's done in a very musical way.

Yes the volume wheel is more resistive vs the R8 and responsive and I like that.

And thanks Play Store installed, Google Device registered

Great first impressions! Glad you're enjoying it, it will only get better from here on. I'll be interested in what you think of the Fibae 7 with the M8, I've just sent my Uni F7 to be turned into a custom as was loving it with the M8 and thought the custom should sound even nicer.

Yeah F7 was going to be one of the first thing I tested and it's a wonderful pairing the sub bass and bass is simply outstanding for a balanced armature IEM wow! The F7 do sing with M8 :heart_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #876 of 5,808
having M6 pro and compared with Max I felt same your impressions about dynamic sound so my natural choice was to chose M8 and I’m very happy with it even if I listened only 15hours

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #879 of 5,808
Unfortunately I’ve had to put mine up for sale .lovely player but I need the cash for something urgent ,so if anyone is looking to buy this in mint condition, hit me up and save some money .

Sad to hear... maybe buy it back later I hope!

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #880 of 5,808
Yeah R8 is smooth and relaxing for sure and not boring by any means to me : its beauty lies in its subtlety and nuances which are exquisite, I can see how the M8 can wow you and it does also have subtleties and nuances but paradoxically I'd say they're pushed back by the power of bass and the detail retrieval that the M8 pushes to your ears although it's done in a very musical way.

Yes the volume wheel is more resistive vs the R8 and responsive and I like that.

And thanks Play Store installed, Google Device registered

Yeah F7 was going to be one of the first thing I tested and it's a wonderful pairing the sub bass and bass is simply outstanding for a balanced armature IEM wow! The F7 do sing with M8 :heart_eyes:

Cool, thanks. That's music to my ears :). Got a bt of a wait now for the customs to come back but have Dune SA6 to keep me company, that also sounds really nice with M8.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #881 of 5,808
Burn in is smoothing things out in a great way, the M8 is an intoxicating DAP to say the least, I am running iBasso SR2 headphone it's pretty amazing how they scale up... I haven't plugged the Zen Can to the M8 yet :p

Vocals are really intoxicating it's amazing...

And the PRaT is off the charts... listening to

Django (Bande originale du film) : Various Artists – TIDAL 2021-01-06 17-41-04.png

https://listen.tidal.com/album/72234417

with a big smile on my face

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #882 of 5,808
The more I listen to the M8, the more I feel it's like the illegitimate child of the WM1Z and DX220 Max, I find the combined qualities of both... this is insanely good stuff I am hooked! Burn in does improve things yet further... wow!

I think I won't even sleep tonight... I am hypnotized!

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #883 of 5,808
Hmmm I must say I didn't realize M8 was built upon Android 7.x... @Shanling is there any future plan to upgrade Android version?

This is making me a bit nervous honestly, I am not sure how long Tidal, Qobuz or Spotify are going to maintain 7.x support... and 85% of my usage is streaming from Tidal Master.

Our software team is still looking into possibility to update to Android 8 or 9, but so far we have no further information on this.

i don’t see the point of it, while shanling don’t see the point of coax and or optical when I do. Whatever it is, I love M8 sound and glad of a direct hardwired connection lol. I think if given choices then we would know which is more welcomed then :wink:

Adding coax or optical would demand additional circuits inside. This is just a new socket module.

And why RCA module? Because Audiophiles likes their expensive RCA cables and do not want to use some extra cheap jack to RCA adapter.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #884 of 5,808
I found more lively sound on M8 rather than DX200, but I found similarities on mids flow, liquid, polite and never grainy.
If M6 sometimes can be harsh, M8 never, you can’t stop to listen it, except for charge battery OFC😂
Yes true I never ended daps battery without notice it before🙈

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #885 of 5,808
And why RCA module? Because Audiophiles likes their expensive RCA cables and do not want to use some extra cheap jack to RCA adapter.
Here I am 😂
Where can I find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back