Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #391 of 5,808
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #392 of 5,808
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #393 of 5,808
Just got a new toy; the Noble Audio M3! The bass on the M8 really makes the M3 come alive! Great synastry... M3 is unusual...not much info about it on the internet, but I love the sound!

20201130_100134_HDR.jpg
20201130_100138.jpg
20201130_100249_HDR.jpg
20201130_100721_Burst01.jpg
20201130_100809_HDR.jpg

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #394 of 5,808
Nice, was actually looking at those because I like the Noble products in general. Couple reviews I came across basically said they punch above their price point for sound.

I had a question for yourself and other owners as to Battery life. What are you getting so far and is it as stated by Shanling. More, less, the same, and have you made any tweaks in Android besides just using the player factory defaults.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #395 of 5,808
Nice, was actually looking at those because I like the Noble products in general. Couple reviews I came across basically said they punch above their price point for sound.

I had a question for yourself and other owners as to Battery life. What are you getting so far and is it as stated by Shanling. More, less, the same, and have you made any tweaks in Android besides just using the player factory defaults.
On balanced out with Flac, I'm getting ~10 hours.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #396 of 5,808

I bought it yesterday for $450 at audio46. They had 1 open box unit left, and one new. I demoed the open box and it was perfect, I bought the sealed unit. If you want it, I suggest you grab the open box.

https://audio46.com/products/noble-audio-m3

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #398 of 5,808
The sub bass is amazing on the M8, and especially after burning in for more than 250 hours or so. The details on low and high extensions shine better!
I lost count, it's basically been running non stop since I got it 11 days ago, minus a day or 2.

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #399 of 5,808
I bought it yesterday for $450 at audio46. They had 1 open box unit left, and one new. I demoed the open box and it was perfect, I bought the sealed unit. If you want it, I suggest you grab the open box.

https://audio46.com/products/noble-audio-m3
Thanks for the suggestion but the Shanling ME700 have been a pleasant surprise / great sound stage and superb mids / once they and the M8 get more burn in time should only improve I think.

DFFA46B3-1A60-4319-AF7D-874A4E2A2226.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #400 of 5,808
Thanks for the suggestion but the Shanling ME700 have been a pleasant surprise / great sound stage and superb mids / once they and the M8 get more burn in time should only improve I think.

Mmmm.. looks juicy! But I think the M3 may be better bass (based on reviews I've read of ME700).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #402 of 5,808
depends ? My ex1000 sounds pretty crazy with M8 and that I am using upgraded Litz copper cables. Did the review mention M3 with the IEM? ME7000
I base that on Headphonia review: Bass: deep but shy. Like the ME500, the ME700 isn’t expansive on the lower end. Bass is there, well-defined, with good extension, yet it always seems to shy off compared to the usual chi-fi IEM I’m accustomed to.

The noble M3 has the 10mm dynamic driver plus the Balanced Active Membrane: A magnetized membrane suspended between 2 magnets. The M3 moves a lot of air! Bass is uber deep and layered, and world unto its own. The soundstage is vast, it reminded me of my planar cans, the HE1000v1. Kind of shocking when I pull the M3 out of my ears. The sound is HUGE from such a little thing!

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #403 of 5,808
Such a curiosity: I made a comparison of a 24-bit disc from the card and from Tidal (Steven Wilson “To the Bone”). While on my previous player there was a definite difference in favor of the card, the MQA decoding method on the M8 or the operation of this lossless android patent, which Shanling boasts (I do not know what exactly), means that I did not hear the differences. Maybe even the streaming had a slightly more spacious sound.

Overall, I have rediscovered Tidal - the sound quality on the M8 feels like it is on the card - I think this is an excellent achievement. Listen to the first Tracy Chapman album in the Tidal Master version. I didn't think Tidal could play like that.

I don't want to do an advertisement, but I'm really happy with the sound (it's quite a euphemism) that comes out of the player. I do not know how they did it, but the sound is dense, juicy, but at the same time clear, resolving and spacious. It is clearly audible that the instruments play in their own clusters, even with very "packed" recordings, you can hear everything exactly.

M8 is not sterile and dry. There are players that provide a similar amount of information, but not in a coherent way, i.e. everything sounds separately. M8 with a similar amount of information is musical and friendly. The sound does not tire during long listening sessions. It is very addictive to play.

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #404 of 5,808
M8 is not sterile and dry. There are players that provide a similar amount of information, but not in a coherent way, i.e. everything sounds separately. M8 with a similar amount of information is musical and friendly. The sound does not tire during long listening sessions. It is very addictive to play.
yes! I agreed

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #405 of 5,808
The M8 would make any orchestra and classical music sound wonderfully emotions and full of expressions. It would move any souls to moves and flow with the music.
I remembered reading this post and I think you said somewhere something about the M8 and violins too (the search function here is crap, so couldn't find the comment). I have been working on a review series specifically about classical music and so had to try the M8 for violins using the DITA Dream XLS... I have to say, Paganini never sounded quite so good. More accurate and more expressive than with the PAW6000 I usually use. I will definitely include the M8 in the series and explore how it helps to convey emotions and nuances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back