Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #361 of 5,808
D9F28149-4514-4030-8749-033C458036FC.jpeg
My Shanling Black Friday care package from Musictek showed up today. Looking forward to long listening session after update and some burn in hours.
I am coming from Sony daps (WM1A, ZX300) looking forward to be able to drive a larger variety of headphones. From what I have read so far there seems to be little issue there and some good pairings suggested.
For those who have been using theirs for a a little while I am curious if you were using a different music app or just Shanling app.
What has worked out best for playback and for you to transfer and manage your music files.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and all the previously posted experiences with your units as you have all aided me in my choice for an upgrade.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #362 of 5,808
Congratulation! And welcome to the club! I use Neutron players when I like to see upscaling 705-768khz displayed. The player can do it without breaking sweat. I use Shanling player most of the time. The side buttons are great, it would stick to the latest apps as a mean to control. Double tap to wake function, and volume lock when screen off are all pretty useful.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #363 of 5,808
D9F28149-4514-4030-8749-033C458036FC.jpegMy Shanling Black Friday care package from Musictek showed up today. Looking forward to long listening session after update and some burn in hours.
I am coming from Sony daps (WM1A, ZX300) looking forward to be able to drive a larger variety of headphones. From what I have read so far there seems to be little issue there and some good pairings suggested.
For those who have been using theirs for a a little while I am curious if you were using a different music app or just Shanling app.
What has worked out best for playback and for you to transfer and manage your music files.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and all the previously posted experiences with your units as you have all aided me in my choice for an upgrade.
Honestly it sounds great before during and after burn in...

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #364 of 5,808
D9F28149-4514-4030-8749-033C458036FC.jpegMy Shanling Black Friday care package from Musictek showed up today. Looking forward to long listening session after update and some burn in hours.
I'm curious how the ME700 sounds. Just went to MusicTek and they sold out already...

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #365 of 5,808
My Shanling Black Friday care package from Musictek showed up today. Looking forward to long listening session after update and some burn in hours.
Congratulations on your M8! I got mine from Musictek
Awesome! Just got my M8 package from MusicTeck today as well and Andrew is awesome as always. I am using the Shanling app and I am running into an issue where most of my songs are played without their respective album arts. Instead, Shanling app displays some random abstract pattern arts when playing these files. My M5s player has no problem displaying the correct album art cover for these same songs. Can somebody or @Shanling help me with this on my M8 using the Shanling app? This problem occurs in both Android and Prime modes. Thank you in advance for your help.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #366 of 5,808
my songs are played without their respective album arts. Instead, Shanling app displays some random abstract pattern arts when playing these files. My M5s player has no problem displaying the correct album art cover for these same songs. Can somebody or @Shanling help me with this on my M8 using the Shanling app? This problem occurs in both Android and Prime modes. Thank you in advance for your help.

Are you using embedded album covers or separate file, in which case do you use "Cover", "Folder" or "Front"?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 26, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #368 of 5,808
Are you using embedded album covers or separate file, in which case do you use "Cover", "Folder" or "Front"?
Hi @Shanling. All my music files use embedded album covers in themselves and my M5s handles them just fine. The second issue I am facing is there is at least a 10 seconds lapse before the next song is played. This happens either when I wait until the current song finishes or when I press the next button to play the next song while the current song is still playing. I can see that the Shanling app gets to the next song when I press the next button, but the song does not play until at least 10 second later. This happens either in shuffle mode or non-shuffle mode. The third issue I am seeing is the total number of songs randomly changes whenever I go back and forth to main selection screen to choose among the main six options for playing all songs and so on. Sometime the shanling app displays the correct number of songs, 13398, and some other times it displays some random numbers like 3000, 2000, or even 3300. Thank you so much for your kind help with these issues.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #369 of 5,808
Hi @Shanling. All my music files use embedded album covers in themselves and my M5s handles them just fine. The second issue I am facing is there is at least a 10 seconds lapse before the next song is played. This happens either when I wait until the current song finishes or when I press the next button to play the next song while the current song is still playing. I can see that the Shanling app gets to the next song when I press the next button, but the song does not play until at least 10 second later. This happens either in shuffle mode or non-shuffle mode. The third issue I am seeing is the total number of songs randomly changes whenever I go back and forth to main selection screen to choose among the main six options for playing all songs and so on. Sometime the shanling app displays the correct number of songs, 13398, and some other times it displays some random numbers like 3000, 2000, or even 3300. Thank you so much for your kind help with these issues.

2. I have 1-2 seconds cut every time next track starting to play, never more than this.

3. Yes, it's a known issue reported earlier. Just try to start the same track three times and the count should be correct. Always work for me in all tracks mode.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #370 of 5,808
The one criticism I have of the M8 is that it runs very warm......

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #372 of 5,808
The one criticism I have of the M8 is that it runs very warm......
Probably down to the dual 4499’s. They take a lot of juice.
Not only that, as I have been mentioning previously. The M8 is the First player to have implemented a “proper cooling techniques“. It has 3 main chips sitting directly on the chassis with Graphene cooling thermal paste. The aK4499EQ is a Desktop IC chip. It consumes a lot of power in both forms Currents and voltages swing depends on task, and so it “heats up” very quickly. It was meant to be in a “proper cooling design”. It should have Coolant fins, or sitting directly on top of Metal surfaces that can help it dissipate the heats during operations.

I have yet to see any Portable Player to have incorporate such design on the chassis like the M8. All I have seen is that a “thermal Stripes” were inserted and route toward the chassis to help it cool down (Cayin N8). Or just leave it alone with a lot of Ground plane to cool itself (Sony DMP-Z1), or just leave it as is, and possibly “throttle down” (the SP2K or possibly FiiO M15).

So, The M8 being heated up, it is just an indications that the chassis are conducting the generated heats efficiently and away from both AK4499EQ and the SnapDragon 440 main chips.
Take it this way, if you are cooling down something by the chassis, but your chassis is not heated up enough, then you have failed at doing it.

One example of Desktop Class IC being cooled down within a Desktop DAC, the picture is showing the coolant fins sitting atop of ES9038Pros
0579DC9D-CF3B-45AA-80AF-8E613CB5AAE0.jpeg
So, do not worry about the M8 being warmed up. It is warmed up just because the AK4499EQ are running as it should. The more heat generated is the harder the ak4499eq are at work, and the better the chassis as a whole are dissipating the heats

This picture shows the Red circle that has 2X AK4499EQ sitting on top with thermal paste and the Blue large circle is for cooling 440 CPU. They also act as direct shielding as well, and away from the LCD display on top
426638CE-18F4-422C-BE38-B3F4595896AD.jpeg
To better dissipate the heats, you could also use it without the Leather case to expose as much Chassis surface as possible. Even thought the case is well designed and has as much exposure as possible, the 4 corners are still retaining and trapping it back. It should be best to use M8 as is with just a screen or glass protections

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #373 of 5,808
Not only that, as I have been mentioning previously. The M8 is the First player to have implemented a “proper cooling techniques“. It has 3 main chips sitting directly on the chassis with Graphene cooling thermal paste. The aK4499EQ is a Desktop IC chip. It consumes a lot of power in both forms Currents and voltages swing depends on task, and so it “heats up” very quickly. It was meant to be in a “proper cooling design”. It should have Coolant fins, or sitting directly on top of Metal surfaces that can help it dissipate the heats during operations.

I have yet to see any Portable Player to have incorporate such design on the chassis like the M8. All I have seen is that a “thermal Stripes” were inserted and route toward the chassis to help it cool down (Cayin N8). Or just leave it alone with a lot of Ground plane to cool itself (Sony DMP-Z1), or just leave it as is, and possibly “throttle down” (the SP2K or possibly FiiO M15).

So, The M8 being heated up, it is just an indications that the chassis are conducting the generated heats efficiently and away from both AK4499EQ and the SnapDragon 440 main chips.
Take it this way, if you are cooling down something by the chassis, but your chassis is not heated up enough, then you have failed at doing it.

One example of Desktop Class IC being cooled down within a Desktop DAC, the picture is showing the coolant fins sitting atop of ES9038Pros
0579DC9D-CF3B-45AA-80AF-8E613CB5AAE0.jpeg
So, do not worry about the M8 being warmed up. It is warmed up just because the AK4499EQ are running as it should. The more heat generated is the harder the ak4499eq are at work, and the better the chassis as a whole are dissipating the heats

This picture shows the Red circle that has 2X AK4499EQ sitting on top with thermal paste and the Blue large circle is for cooling 440 CPU. They also act as direct shielding as well, and away from the LCD display on top
426638CE-18F4-422C-BE38-B3F4595896AD.jpeg
To better dissipate the heats, you could also use it without the Leather case to expose as much Chassis surface as possible. Even thought the case is well designed and has as much exposure as possible, the 4 corners are still retaining and trapping it back. It should be best to use M8 as is with just a screen or glass protections
Epic post. You da man. Yes, I noticed yesterday when i took the case off it cooled down. I love the case, but I also love holding the M8 in my hand and feeling the metal and glass..

So let me ask you Whitigir, your obviously in the industry somehow, a technician or engineer?

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #374 of 5,808
Epic post. You da man. Yes, I noticed yesterday when i took the case off it cooled down. I love the case, but I also love holding the M8 in my hand and feeling the metal and glass..

So let me ask you Whitigir, your obviously in the industry somehow, a technician or engineer?
:) I am just enthusiastic about these devices and my background is related to this field in some degrees as well.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #375 of 5,808
:) I am just enthusiastic about these devices and my background is related to this field in some degrees as well.
So, the first thing you do when you buy something like the M8 is you take it apart? LOL,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back