Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #181 of 5,808
@Redmasta why do you sell it?

Because i like the warmer Sound signature of the M6 Pro in duad DAC mode more than at M8 and also the size of the M8 is really big.
But don't get me wrong, the M8 sounds great and it's a very nice device with much better screen and much more highend look and feel.
And the second thing is, that it's too expensive and to big to use it at work in dirty dusty environment.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #185 of 5,808
Gasp* just noticed the size of M8 is almost as large as Dx220Max! No wonder why @Redmasta is selling lol!

Bigger than the M15, and feels far more dense in the hand. TBH it's a big DAP not something I'd want to carry about for any length of time. I'm going to have another session with the M8, as right now I don't feel that it offers anything special or shines out amongst the competition. The M8 is competent as a DAP, yet similar to many lacks the attention to detail that Sony & A&K have mastered.

In all fairness I need more time with the M8 to really form a more solid opinion, given I'm currently in Shenzhen it's not an issue to listen to one :) Also think at these price points 128GB should be the bare minimum, as 64GB simply comes across as being cheap. The upgrade cost for my A&K SR25 from 64GB to 128GB was negligible, if the M8 had 128GB as a default it would have helped to elevate the DAP to some extents above the competition, as it stands, just one of many...

As for "less is more" one port solution, remain to be convinced as the DAP is large, even the diminutive SR25 has more flexibility with a single 3.5 SE - 2.5 balanced to 4.4 balanced adapter...

Next on the list to try is A&K Kann Alpha & Hiby R8, former again seemingly straddled with artificially limited storage, although first A&K with 4.4, the latter has a 128GB option, however only in stainless steel & 4G which ramps up the price and weight.

Q-6

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #186 of 5,808
Bigger than the M15, but feels far more dense in the hand. TBH it's a big DAP not something I'd want to carry about for any length of time. I'm going to have another session with the M8, right now I don't feel that it offers anything special or shines out amongst the competition. The M8 is competent as a DAP, yet similar to many lacks the attention to detail that Sony & A&K have mastered.

@Queen6 which Sony and A&K models?

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #187 of 5,808
@Queen6 which Sony and A&K models?

Owning WM1A. ZX300 and A&K SR25 (128), looked at all the Sony range and A&K barring the new Kann Alpha. They simply come across as being more polished, with attention paid to the small details, I'd also be first to say that A&K are overpriced as is the WM1Z, yet the SR25 & Alpha are a step in the right direction.

Where I'm based it's pretty easy to view and audition the vast majority of DAPS and headgear. Of recent just DAP's. A&K SA700, SE200, SR25, Kann Cube, Shanling M8, L&P L5 Pro, QLS 361, Hifiman R2R2000 Red & Black, iBasso DX220 Max, LPGT, LP6K, Sony ZX500, FiiO M15 and many more. Problem being is I like all too many :)

Q-6

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #188 of 5,808
Where I'm based it's pretty easy to view and audition the vast majority of DAPS and headgear. Of recent just DAP's. A&K SA700, SE200, SR25, Kann Cube, Shanling M8, L&P L5 Pro, QLS 361, Hifiman R2R2000 Red & Black, iBasso DX220 Max, LPGT, LP6K, Sony ZX500, FiiO M15 and many more. Problem being is I like all too many

SE200 is interesting but someone said sound awful compared to SA700 and or SP1000m.
I’d like to test Hiby R8 and Shanling M8 but even here if M8 isn’t a big step over my M6 pro I’ll give up.
Also iBasso DX300 is coming...

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #191 of 5,808
@Redmasta you should listen A&K SA700 or Hiby R8

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #192 of 5,808
@Queen6 can You compare M8 vs SA700 and SR25? Just sound signature and sound quality

M8 I need more time with, off the cuff M8 sounds like many other players utilising AK DAC's, it's by no means bad, however I've yet to find the M8 to be engaging or special. SR25 impressed enough for me to purchase one, SR25 has a nicely balanced tonality, plays very smoothly, is engaging and easy on the the ear. SA700 is more mid focused, resolves to a higher level, not as stratospheric as the SE200. The boost in the mid's was clearly discernible above and beyond A&K typical house sound. Maybe with differing IEM/HP would be better, overall seemed a little unnatural. All on CFA Andromeda 3.5 SE, next trip I'll listen on 2.5/4.4 balanced, likely Dunu DK 3001 PRO.

SQ is very difficult to capture as we all have differing tastes. Personally I prefer a more natural sound than a forced one that some players present. DAP's I also take into account the device as a whole as for me they need to work with me, not against me.

Q-6

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #193 of 5,808
The size is really not the problem. I love the sound signature of the M6 pro more, that's the one and only reason. I will loose some details, but i have to go back to the M6 Pro.
Agreed, sometimes too much resolutions can be problematic. I don’t like Samsung phone for this exact reason, everything is too saturated and too much artificially looking, Eventhough it is a much better resolution than the iPhone

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #194 of 5,808
Agreed, sometimes too much resolutions can be problematic. I don’t like Samsung phone for this exact reason, everything is too saturated and too much artificially looking, Eventhough it is a much better resolution than the iPhone
You can just change the screen mode from vivid to natural if you don't like the saturated look.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #195 of 5,808

No, for sure not!
Don't get me wrong, The M8 is and sounds extreme nice. I only said i like more the warmer sounding of the M6 Pro. Staging and resolution is much better at the M8, Display is much better. All is better than M6 Pro. I only don't like the more neutral sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back