Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #616 of 873
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #618 of 873
Let the testing and comparison begin :)

20230316_143905.jpg

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #619 of 873
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #621 of 873
I'm VERY curious to get your thoughts on this comparison!!!
First impressions are that they are closer than I expected (which definitely speaks for the M3 Ultra and the insane amount of musicality that Shanling has managed to put into such a small footprint. @Shanling Absolute compliments for this)

Having said this, the M6 Ultra definitely operates at a level that's audibly above the M3 Ultra. Much more coherently balanced and musically engaging.. More drive, more subtle details and layering, more emotion. But for me a €500,00 difference in quality it might not be ... For that the M3 Ultra potentially brings too much to the table (or the M6 Ultra too little?)

I am not sure yet whether I will ultimately favor the M3 Ultra for its portability or the M6 Ultra for its musicality and drive...

Ironically I come from a level up (Shanling M9, Cayin N8ii) because I initially wanted to focus on desktop amplification.. And I purchased the M3U only to be a Bluetooth source for my travel cans 🙈😅

The fight is on...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #623 of 873
Hi, Can Shanling or anyone confirm if Tidal downloaded music can be stored on the SD card? Thanks,
Yes, we can!
Works on my M6U with a 256 GB SD-card.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #625 of 873
First impressions are that they are closer than I expected (which definitely speaks for the M3 Ultra and the insane amount of musicality that Shanling has managed to put into such a small footprint. @Shanling Absolute compliments for this)

Having said this, the M6 Ultra definitely operates at a level that's audibly above the M3 Ultra. Much more coherently balanced and musically engaging.. More drive, more subtle details and layering, more emotion. But for me a €500,00 difference in quality it might not be ... For that the M3 Ultra potentially brings too much to the table (or the M6 Ultra too little?)

I am not sure yet whether I will ultimately favor the M3 Ultra for its portability or the M6 Ultra for its musicality and drive...

Ironically I come from a level up (Shanling M9, Cayin N8ii) because I initially wanted to focus on desktop amplification.. And I purchased the M3U only to be a Bluetooth source for my travel cans 🙈😅

The fight is on...
oddly enough I did a comparison between the M6 ultra and M8 and while the M8 is somewhat better subjectively. The trade offs in heat, size and available outputs without swapping out headphone input modules make me lean to the M6 ultra. The M8 wins for SQ with a warmer slightly more inviting sound with harder hitting bass, slightly better miss and better layering. The M6 ultra is faster, lighter, smaller, less heat and 85%+ the sound of the M8. Percent variance intended as subjective SWAG on how close or far the M6u is to the M8.

looks like the venerable M8 may hit the classifieds

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #626 of 873
oddly enough I did a comparison between the M6 ultra and M8 and while the M8 is somewhat better subjectively. The trade offs in heat, size and available outputs without swapping out headphone input modules make me lean to the M6 ultra. The M8 wins for SQ with a warmer slightly more inviting sound with harder hitting bass, slightly better miss and better layering. The M6 ultra is faster, lighter, smaller, less heat and 85%+ the sound of the M8. Percent variance intended as subjective SWAG on how close or far the M6u is to the M8.

looks like the venerable M8 may hit the classifieds

Been swerving around between DAPs for quite some time now, up and down the entire spectrum... Shanling M3x M3U M6U M8 M9, Cayin N6ii-R01 N8ii, Hiby RS6 R8, various AK and FiiO... And in retrospect, for me only the M6U and the RS6 were able to really strike the perfect balance between portability and musicality.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #627 of 873
Been swerving around between DAPs for quite some time now, up and down the entire spectrum... Shanling M3x M3U M6U M8 M9, Cayin N6ii-R01 N8ii, Hiby RS6 R8, various AK and FiiO... And in retrospect, for me only the M6U and the RS6 were able to really strike the perfect balance between portability and musicality.
yup I'll take the M6U for portability and my DX320 for transportable

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #628 of 873
Opinions anyone? What's you top 3 Over-Ear (or IEMs) matching with the M6 Ultra?

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #629 of 873
I enjoy my Hifiman Ananda's with my M6 Ultra. I listen to Apple Music and don't even need to EQ them. The naturally warm sound of the M6 Ultra helps to make up for a bit of what may be lacking. I have also used my Sennheiser 58X on this unit. It has a nice mellow sound, very enjoyable. Even my Apple AirPods Pro 2 sound good with this unit!

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #630 of 873
Opinions anyone? What's you top 3 Over-Ear (or IEMs) matching with the M6 Ultra?
I thought the M6 Ultra + Fiio FH9 was endgame for me, then I tried the IER Z1R and had that definition reset. The smooth presentation of the M6 Ultra really let both of these IEMs do their thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back