Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Sep 13, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #241 of 873
I borrowed the M6 Ultra from a close friend, and fortunately he is selling it to me :)

This device is awesome guys, freaking great from a sound quality perspective. Also, the OS is smooth and nice.

The sound is very detailed, and i think that these new AKM chips have nothing to do with the old 4493. Maybe the fact that there are four of them add to this nice detailed sound. The tonality is quite neutral, maybe a little midrange focused with intimate and charming voices. The soundstage is wide, and everything is very natural. Was getting tired of ESS chips, these new AKMs really rock, I really missed them.

As a comparison, I would say that this is like a FiiO M15, but with a more neutral and clean sound. It is as musical, as fun and as charming, definitely not sterile.

For sure it is better than M11Plus, no discussion.

My friend (who is very very experimented and heard a shitload of daps and much more) also says that this is his favourite DAP under 1k.

Shanling really did it again.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #242 of 873
I borrowed the M6 Ultra from a close friend, and fortunately he is selling it to me :)

This device is awesome guys, freaking great from a sound quality perspective. Also, the OS is smooth and nice.

The sound is very detailed, and i think that these new AKM chips have nothing to do with the old 4493. Maybe the fact that there are four of them add to this nice detailed sound. The tonality is quite neutral, maybe a little midrange focused with intimate and charming voices. The soundstage is wide, and everything is very natural. Was getting tired of ESS chips, these new AKMs really rock, I really missed them.

As a comparison, I would say that this is like a FiiO M15, but with a more neutral and clean sound. It is as musical, as fun and as charming, definitely not sterile.

For sure it is better than M11Plus, no discussion.

My friend (who is very very experimented and heard a shitload of daps and much more) also says that this is his favourite DAP under 1k.

Shanling really did it again.
Is the sound more on the cool analytical side or more warm and musical? Does He Have Strong Stressed Higher Mids? And how are the highs ?? Gentle or rather harder? I sold DX 320 because I hate the heavily stressed upper mids. Under it wasn't really musical for me, rather too analytical. M 7 was too bright and too high for me. I bought a used M8. It's fantastic!! When I hear it I want to tap my feet and preferably dance. However, he's not that good for jogging or anything. It gets very hot in the pocket and switches itself off. Is more for at home. how is it when the M6 Ultra is in the bag?? Does he get very hot?? Does it turn off??? Thank you for your reply. Would help me a lot in my decision to buy the M6 Ultra or not.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #243 of 873
For many months I have been researching the forums, Youtube, and other sites in trying to choose a DAP as my first such device. I am an audiophile with about 40 years experience and knowledge so I didn't take this task lightly. I didn't set a hard price point, so my primary choices were narrowed down to the Fiio M11 Plus, the Sony NW-WM1AM2, the iBasso DX170, the soon to be released FiiO M11S, and the Shanling M6 Ultra. I actually own a Shanling CDT-100 from 20 years ago and even though it's no longer used, I was very impressed with its quality and aesthetics.

I had researched many other options, but I have just ordered the Shanling M6 Ultra from MusicTeck during the Labor Day sale, and it should arrive soon. As mentioned, this will be my first DAP, there are several reasons I decided to add a DAP to the iPhone-dongle-(or dac/amp)-IEM listening experience so I am excited to have this as a further enriched listening experience.

Any followup impressions I might have to be posted here would be very limited given my novice status in the DAP domain. That said, I will continue to follow this thread closely.

Welcome to the Forum! It’s a great place to share and read impressions, and build relationships. The focus is generally more on user impressions than objective measurements - though I always appreciate the systematic way our reviewers make comparisons, ie @twister6, @gLer, @ngoshawk - looking at you (hint hint- any impressions of this device coming?) Some of the best reviewers in the hobby are regular posters, and of course Head-Fi organizes the CanJam meetups (one in SoCal this coming weekend).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #244 of 873
Welcome to the Forum! It’s a great place to share and read impressions, and build relationships. The focus is generally more on user impressions than objective measurements - though I always appreciate the systematic way our reviewers make comparisons, ie @twister6, @gLer, @ngoshawk - looking at you (hint hint- any impressions of this device coming?) Some of the best reviewers in the hobby are regular posters, and of course Head-Fi organizes the CanJam meetups (one in SoCal this coming weekend).
Thank you for the warm welcome, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot about the Shanling M6 Ultra. I had my first direct contact, via email, with Shanling here on the forum and I received very prompt and helpful replies. I had a question about SD card downloading and was given exact recommendations which remedied my issue. I'm hoping someone will do a thorough YT review.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #245 of 873
Thank you for the warm welcome, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot about the Shanling M6 Ultra. I had my first direct contact, via email, with Shanling here on the forum and I received very prompt and helpful replies. I had a question about SD card downloading and was given exact recommendations which remedied my issue. I'm hoping someone will do a thorough YT review.
Can you tell us something about the sound?? Thank you

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #246 of 873
I bought a new cable with a pentagon connector for my Mod House Argon T60’s to try out the balanced connection on my M6u. Superb warm sound, very enjoyable Listening at between 55 and 75 out of 100 (depending on recording) on volume.
Tried a friend’s Senn 800s, again balanced, listening at 50 was pretty loud. Sound didn’t lack anything and I felt the warm sound signature was a good match with 800s and it’s moderate bass.

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #247 of 873
Ich habe ein neues Kabel mit einem Pentagon-Stecker für meine Mod House Argon T60 gekauft, um die symmetrische Verbindung an meinem M6u auszuprobieren. Hervorragender warmer Klang, sehr angenehmes Hören bei Lautstärke zwischen 55 und 75 von 100 (je nach Aufnahme).
Versuchte den Senn 800 eines Freundes, wieder ausgeglichen, das Hören bei 50 war ziemlich laut. Dem Sound fehlte nichts und ich hatte das Gefühl, dass die warme Soundsignatur gut zu 800ern passte und ihr moderater Bass.
Goes it very hot??

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #251 of 873
Warm, not hot.
My M6 has covid. :relieved:
20220913_124703.jpg

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #254 of 873
Does this include a WiFi WPA2 encryption fix?
It doesn’t fix it. My iPad currently records 336mbps and my M6u shows 49mbps.
have M6U users tried streaming with qobuz, tidal, etc. how are the results.
I stream Qobuz. Because of the WPA2 issue, if my internet is slow (say 60mbps) then the download speed for the M6u was not quite quick enough to stream hi res. I switched to streaming at cd quality for when my internet is slow but most of the time it’s not a problem. Personally I have no problem with cd quality on a mobile device anyway. Apart from this issue, Qobuz works faultlessly. It’s quick and snappy.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #255 of 873
Does this include a WiFi WPA2 encryption fix?

There was so far no fix for this issue. Our software team says it works fine on our WPA2 Wi-Fi, so they didn't changed anything yet.

I would like to ask, anybody who faces issue with Wi-Fi speed, please send me in private messages info on what exact router you using. Hopefully our software team can investigate further on it.
Hi, which of M6 Ultra and M7 is better for listening to classical music and opera?

It depends what type of classical you listening to. If you are like me and prefer big and complicated orchestral works, I think the M7 with its more technical focused sound is better choice. If you go for smaller strings or piano pieces, the warmth in M6 Ultra might work better.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back