Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 2,497
Hmmm, subscribed - very intriguing...

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #36 of 2,497
Probably something I can't afford!

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #39 of 2,497
I’m sure this is out of my budget. Can you guys direct me towards a player less than $500

If you want to stay with Shanling, both the M3s and the M0 offer excellent quality, sound wise, and very very good quality/price ratios. M3s offers more, and costs more. M0 has a few different strengths/unique selling points: touch screen, very tiny size. The Sony NW-ZX300a from JD/Joybuy is another easy possibility that comes to mind (the ZX300A is the same as the ZX300, but with 16gb onboard storage instead of 64, it's aimed at the chinese market, and costs a lot less than the ZX300).

M3s and ZX300A are similar level in sound reproduction, with the M3s offering 2.5mm balanced and being more neutral with maybe a hint of dryness and the ZX300(A) offering 4.4mm balanced and being a little warmer (but not overly so). From the user interface point of view, I very much prefer the ZX300, tbh :) . Either of them would be a good candidate as main DAP, IMO.

The M0 is an amazingly small device with an amazingly nice sound... no balanced output. GREAT as a portable device (the others would be portable too, they're not bricks :) - but this sort of really disappears:) ).

I'd advise you to go to each device's specific thread to understand better each of them. All 3 are good, IMHO, and well within your budget.

Edited to add: there's currently a shortage of M3s around... Shanling has said that the M3s should be available again in September with limited quantities at select vendors.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #45 of 2,497
3.5 Pro balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back