Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #947 of 1,112
It should be. I don't know that Shanling's priority is to honor it.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #950 of 1,112
Just curious, why do you say that?

The warranty card is sorta non-specific about what my next steps should be. I did send them an email but I have no idea what their response time is so I'll just hope for the best.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #951 of 1,112
The warranty card is sorta non-specific about what my next steps should be. I did send them an email but I have no idea what their response time is so I'll just hope for the best.

Well, it's Chinese New Year right now, so don't expect a speedy response. Where did you buy it from originally?

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #952 of 1,112
Hmm.. go to...
16463862_1294357063992103_1408873014784236831_o.jpg

Oooooh sexy... Will look more into this one, thanks

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #954 of 1,112
Well, it's Chinese New Year right now, so don't expect a speedy response. Where did you buy it from originally?

That's a very good point. I forgot about the holiday! Originally bought it from Massdrop. I don't think they act as middleman for the vendor, so I'll have to deal directly with Shanling.

Not gonna lie, this recent fumble has me seriously considering the Cayin N3, as long as the output is neutral/warmish. No matter what happens with my M5, I don't want to go back to the brighter DX90 sound. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #955 of 1,112
My M5 died. I love the sound but I don't know if I'll replace it with another considering how quickly it died and how little the warranty apparently matters. How's the Cayin N5 sound compared to the M5? I don't like bright sound balance- I prefer dead neutral or warmish with slightly forward vocals. I like that the N5 also uses the AKM4490 DAC chip, but implementation matters.

How did it die ?
Mine is still ok, but it crash a lot :frowning2:

When it happens, my M5 is fully unresponsive with a black screen.

To bring it back to life, I have each time to press 10-15sec on the power button, release it, then press it again a few seconds until it starts.

Hope this is only a firmware bug...

PS: already tried a factory reset and even with different SD cards with no success.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #956 of 1,112
That's a very good point. I forgot about the holiday! Originally bought it from Massdrop. I don't think they act as middleman for the vendor, so I'll have to deal directly with Shanling.

Not gonna lie, this recent fumble has me seriously considering the Cayin N3, as long as the output is neutral/warmish. No matter what happens with my M5, I don't want to go back to the brighter DX90 sound. 

Shanling and Cayin are two of my favorite DAP companies. As I said in the N3 thread, I'll get one in for testing ahead of the North American launch and will certainly let people know what I think. I doubt it will compete with Shanling M5 for audio quality, but maybe Cayin will surprise me.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #957 of 1,112
Judge584, I've tried a few different things and the DAP just won't turn on. It's been acting funny recently anyways, so I had a sneaking suspicion something was up. It do tend to jump from track to track a lot so I hope that's not what caused the problem.

nmatheis, looking forward to the review! Tbh, the upcoming FiiO Q5 has some appeal to me for streaming & other stuff, so the idea of a cheaper DAP/transport is also not so terrible.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #958 of 1,112
Judge584, I've tried a few different things and the DAP just won't turn on. It's been acting funny recently anyways, so I had a sneaking suspicion something was up. It do tend to jump from track to track a lot so I hope that's not what caused the problem.

nmatheis, looking forward to the review! Tbh, the upcoming FiiO Q5 has some appeal to me for streaming & other stuff, so the idea of a cheaper DAP/transport is also not so terrible.

FiiO's transport-only device doesn't appeal to me, so I won't be covering that...

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #960 of 1,112
FiiO's transport-only device doesn't appeal to me, so I won't be covering that...

I think I got my message mixed. I just meant that because FiiO's new portable DAC sounds so good on paper, I might be convinced to get a DAP that maybe isn't AS nice as the Shanling because I can always use it as a transport when at work or somewhere I can appreciate a better output. Also that would help me save a few bucks. Either way, I'm still hoping the Cayin N3 steps up and delivers something great because options are always a good thing for consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back