Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #316 of 1,112
  looks like fw 1.2 was released for public

really?  where would i find it?

i copied 1.2 from the shanling website.  put it on my sd card.  put the sd card into my brand new M5 and tried to update.  it says "file system not support".  so i take out the sd card. i get a black screen with small white letters at the bottom saying "awaiting sd card".  reset does not work, power off does not work, so now my M5 seems to be useless.

any ideas how to fix this?

EDIT - i just tried using firmware 1.1, and same thing.  can't do a reset, can't power down.  can't do anything.  same thing if i put in the sd card with some music files on it.  same black screed and messages when i put in an sd card, or take out the sd card.

i know the card works because it is the same one i used with my old shanling M2 two weeks ago and it worked perfectly.

so far, this thing seems to be a real piece of ^$&#

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #320 of 1,112
SD card must be in fat32. use the formatting program that is bundled with the firmware to format it and put only firmware on it.

Not sure what you are talking about. I formatted card with my computer, exactly like I did with shanking m2.

How do I use software bundled with firmware. Do I put exe file on card and run it, then put firmware on card?

EDIT the exe file is all Chinese so not sure how to run it.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #322 of 1,112
The .exe file is a PC program for using the M5 as a DAC It is not the M5 FW file.

Actually in the firmware I downloaded it is the fat 32 format tool. I found an English version online and looks exactly the same, but in English. Shanking need to get their act together in terms of instructions and languages. This is a joke.

For the allocation unit size is 512 enough or I should do 1024?

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #323 of 1,112
Well it seems to be updating now so hopefully I am good. The exe file is definitely the fat 32 format tool. Thanks all.

I hope Shanling pay attention to these threads, and take appropriate actions.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #326 of 1,112
Ok, so now at least it turns on, but when I go to about m5 to see the firm ware version it locks up. So is 1.2 buggy or what?

I've been a little busy recently, looking for a new job, hence why I haven't posted a review of it yet.. But, I would recommend just sticking with FW 1.1.. It's been ultra stable for me, more so than the DX80, M2, and Plenue D.. So I'm very happy with it..

One last thing, I know what separates the M5 from other players.. It handles sustain perfectly.. Most other players cut sustained notes off just a smudge too early, the M5 just lets those notes ring on perfectly.. I LOVE IT!!.. If I get a chance to download the 1.2 FW I will.. Today is my birthday, so I may be busy again.. But I will try my best to figure something out.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #327 of 1,112
Actually in the firmware I downloaded it is the fat 32 format tool. I found an English version online and looks exactly the same, but in English. Shanking need to get their act together in terms of instructions and languages. This is a joke.

For the allocation unit size is 512 enough or I should do 1024?

Brac - Where did you find an English version?  I received my M5 last night and having same issues with player not seeing SD card.  I've tried 64 and 128gb. both Fat 32.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #329 of 1,112
more than 32gb might not be good option for fat32, maybe it would be better to try ntfs instead for 64/128gb cards. I use 128 card formatted with ntfs with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back