Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #331 of 1,112
more than 32gb might not be good option for fat32, maybe it would be better to try ntfs instead for 64/128gb cards. I use 128 card formatted with ntfs with no problem.

You used ntfs format and everything works? Weird since they say to use fat 32. I can attest that ex fat does not work.

When I go to about m5 with no SD card in the unit it works so it seems maybe the SD card in fat 32 is the problem

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #337 of 1,112
So a couple noob questions on this M5

-  What is the purpose of the USB Driver and the Shanling Software that comes on the thumb drive?  Drivers seem to be worthless.  The software doesn't detect a USB music device.  Had to pull the dust of my Win 7 laptop since there aren't drivers for W10 yet. Without drivers I can access device just fine like any other normal USB HDD and copy music straight to it.

- Any idea on how to setup a playlist?  Don't see any way to do it on device other than the "favorites" that has been mentioned

- is there "Shuffle" feature?  I haven't found one unless I'm totally missing it.

- Also the manual mentions that holding the center button gives you additional menu features but the only one I get is Delete no matter what function I'm in.  Not something I want to accidentally do from the player :-/

I'm currently on v1.2

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #338 of 1,112
golov17: sledgeharvy and I have posted some casual comparisons of M2 and M5. Basically you get the same overall form factor. Slightly larger. Fuller sound. Nice improvement.

Zemone: USB drivers are for DAC capability. All the fussing around with drivers makes me wonder why more peeps don't just use Mac where drivers are baked into the OS. I've never had to download and install divers to use my DAPs as a DAC. They all "just work".

AFAIK playlists need to be set up in an external media player. Not somethings ever want (or care) to do. Maybe someone else can help here. If not, check the FiiO X3 or X5 threads. I'm guessing it's basically the same operation.

Yup, there certainly is Shuffle. Sane icon every other DAP / smartphone / music player uses for it.

Center button from Now Playing screen gives me multiple choices for browsing files, favoriting a song, or deleting. Not sure what's going on with you.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #340 of 1,112

Couple of questions. I filled up a 128 gig sandisk ultra with mostly hd tracks and some 24-192 tracks inserted the disc everything read and plays fine, sounds awesome album art is there, flawless ! Now I have another 128 gig sandisk I want to fill up with wav. and mp3 files. My question is first, to eject the disk do I push in and it pops out or do you just pull it out? It was tough to get out of the card reader and I wondered if there is a better way to get it out other than just grabbing it with my finger nails. Second if I load up another card will it just add the songs to the player and clear the previous songs so you can use as many different cards as you like? And lastly what was the usb drive in a previous post? I did not get one, just the card reader and cords.
I am new to this and so far extremely happy with the player.
Thank you
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back