Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #301 of 1,112
Wow the detail the m5 provides is amazing. Going from the c5dac to this is a huge difference for the better! It's driving my Alpha dogs on high gain around 100-112 for "loud" listening. Which is pretty impressive actually, as the planers are a hard can to drive!

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #302 of 1,112
Hmmm. Seller on eBay has M5 for $399 but $30 in shipping. I suppose if I get desperate I can try that....at least I would be protected by eBay and PayPal. I still am not sure why aliexpress hates me, shy of providing my birth certificate and social I'm not sure what else I could have done!

Sorry to hear that Twib.. I'm super glad I stuck with it to get the amazing deal I got on it thought AliExpress (BrightAudio). I've completely spoiled myself with how good it sounds. It's worth the $30 shipping through eBay (DHL) or at least my opinion.. For example, look at any other player in that $377 range and below.. Or the $430 range.. My opinion by using a lot of those players, it sounds better that all those. (Once again, my opinion and usage with my equipment and music preferences etc etc) Closest thing is either the Fiio X7 which in most people's mind very good, but you will still have to buy an additional Amp module to be satisfied with the power, so now you're up to $600.. So that kind of sucks..

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #304 of 1,112
Has anyone compared Shanling M5 and Cayin N6? I'd be interested to know which one gives more detail and resolution.

I'm giving this one to the N6. That said, I don't really enjoy the N6 very much. I find it too bright for my taste. The M5's fuller, smoother sound signature is much more to my taste, and I find its detail retrieval more than adequate at this price point.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #305 of 1,112
I'm giving this one to the N6. That said, I don't really enjoy the N6 very much. I find it too bright for my taste. The M5's fuller, smoother sound signature is much more to my taste, and I find its detail retrieval more than adequate at this price point.

One positive thing to note, for those who do have DAPs in this price point and above, it seems as though future proof ability on these devices is pretty good, as it's beginning to plateau. Where "Mid-Fi" daps are performing at the $1,000 mark and budget DAPs are performing where the $500 mark used to perform just 2 years ago.. Interesting to see what the TOTL DAPs do to sound their price point.. For example, the iBasso DX200 or the upcoming Shanling Android variant upcoming. Even A&K AK300 is supposed to be phenomenal at $1,600 vs their AK380 ($3,500), which begs the question, is it worth twice as much?? Where as I don't have a problem justifying the extra cost from a DX80 to the M5.. Or even the Shanling M2 to step up to the M5.. Yes, it's still almost doubling the price of the M2; however, it's still less that $500 for an amazing player.. I guess it's all relative..

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #311 of 1,112
Shanling M5 available again on massdrop for $375 plus shipping. Woohoo!! Ordered! Got lucky here...that wasn't much of a wait at all.
Just need some help from you all to get to 7 buyers.

Awesome Twibmassa, glad you finally got one:smiley:

:beers:

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #313 of 1,112
Can't wait! This will be my 1st DAP though other than several iPods and smartphones so I don't have a knowledgeable background for comparison...but I will for sure give my overall impressions as there are many other newbies like myself out there I'm sure. I think most of the appeal to me at this point is having just ONE device that sounds great connected to my headphone/IEM of choice. Not multiple amps/DACs/phones/PCs all thrown together...just one single pocketable device playing sweet music to my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back