Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #61 of 1,112
M5 is def one of my gave DAPs right now. I'll try to write up a comparison between M5 and some other DAPs I've got on-hand this weekend.
beerchug.gif

Sounds promising:)

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #62 of 1,112
Yes, I've been very busy at a new job. Not as much listening time as I usually have. It'll be nice to sit down and just listen for awhile today. I'll be getting in a DX80 on Monday to take to the Portland in early May, so I can throw that in the mix once I've burned the DX80 in a bit.
:beerchug:

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #63 of 1,112
Yes, I've been very busy at a new job. Not as much listening time as I usually have. It'll be nice to sit down and just listen for awhile today. I'll be getting in a DX80 on Monday to take to the Portland in early May, so I can throw that in the mix once I've burned the DX80 in a bit.
beerchug.gif

Cool:) Anyway, just have a good time listening to music...

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #64 of 1,112
Ok, i just listened to Cayin N5, Shanling M2, and Shanling M5 with my trusty FLC8S configured with max sub, med bass, max mids, med treble.

Shanling M5 has a fuller sound with more impactful, detailed bass, smoother highs, and better transients than the other two. Soundstage is natural but not as open probably due to the fuller sound. I'd definitely pick M5 over N5. Not as clear cut with M5 vs M2, though. M2 has a more open/airy sound but is brighter. Not bright vs other DAPs considered bright, just vs M5. M5 sounds more refined. Personally Im leaning towards M5 but could see some being happier with M2, depending on personal preference.

Will compare to iBasso DX90 and FiiO X7 with FLC8S later...

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #65 of 1,112
Ok, i just listened to Cayin N5, Shanling M2, and Shanling M5 with my trusty FLC8S configured with max sub, med bass, max mids, med treble.

Shanling M5 has a fuller sound with more impactful, detailed bass, smoother highs, and better transients than the other two. Soundstage is natural but not as open probably due to the fuller sound. I'd definitely pick M5 over N5. Not as clear cut with M5 vs M2, though. M2 has a more open/airy sound but is brighter. Not bright vs other DAPs considered bright, just vs M5. M5 sounds more refined. Personally Im leaning towards M5 but could see some being happier with M2, depending on personal preference.

That's good to know about the M5 vs M2.. Good to know that it is more refined M2, yet interesting how it's not as airy as the M2.. And since I primarily use darker IEMs (RHA MA-600 & RHA T-10), you're probably right about the M2 being a better choice for me to stick with. Even though curiousity always gets the better of me.. Lol..

Looking forward to your impressions of the M5 vs the DX80..

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #66 of 1,112
That's good to know about the M5 vs M2.. Good to know that it is more refined M2, yet interesting how it's not as airy as the M2.. And since I primarily use darker IEMs (RHA MA-600 & RHA T-10), you're probably right about the M2 being a better choice for me to stick with. Even though curiousity always gets the better of me.. Lol..

Looking forward to your impressions of the M5 vs the DX80..

Perhaps you'd describe it differently, but to me it doesn't sound as airy as M2 - at least with FLC8S. That's an interesting piece of the puzzle because it's a low impedance triple hybrid and the Shanling DAPs are all relatively high impedance. That could definitely be impacting the sound, but I love my FLC8S so much I have to test them with all of the new DAPs I get. I'll try the M2 and M5 with RHA T20 later, too. That way I can try and separate out any impedance mismatch issues.

As far as DX80, Paul told me to wait 100hr before judging, so I'm in for a long haul, lol.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #67 of 1,112

Thank you very much for your brief but informative experience description (just the way I like it)! Do I get it right that the iBasso DX 90 will also be among the DAPs compared? Or was that the DX 80 you meant?

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #68 of 1,112
Perhaps you'd describe it differently, but to me it doesn't sound as airy as M2 - at least with FLC8S. That's an interesting piece of the puzzle because it's a low impedance triple hybrid and the Shanling DAPs are all relatively high impedance. That could definitely be impacting the sound, but I love my FLC8S so much I have to test them with all of the new DAPs I get. I'll try the M2 and M5 with RHA T20 later, too. That way I can try and separate out any impedance mismatch issues.

As far as DX80, Paul told me to wait 100hr before judging, so I'm in for a long haul, lol.

Yes absolutely, the DX80 takes a about 80- 100 hrs of burn in with supplied burn in cable to be just right.. It sounds good out of the box.. But due to the capacitors they used, they need a while to form. Which is a good thing though.. Good sign of quality.

And as for the FLC8's they are only 11ohm impedance so not as low like the Sony XBA-4's (8ohm) that are very source dependant.. The RHA line up are pretty much all 16ohm, and I find them to be perfect with the M2. Same goes with my Sony XBA-3's which are rated at 12 ohms... So perhaps Shanling is using a different method of measuring the impedance or something.. Or perhaps as you stated.. The higher impedance of the M2 and M5 is playing better for darker headphones by brightening them up a notch.. Either way.. It works for me! Lol..

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #69 of 1,112
Bellyworshipper: Both, eventually...

I own DX90 and am being sent a DX80 for a Head-Fi Meet in my city.

sledgeharvy: Yes, I've found Shanling DAPs have less impact on multi-BA IEM, but it could still be a factor. The Soundaware Esther, which has a comparable OI (both are 10ohm OI IIRC), really put the whammy on several multi-BA IEM I tried with it. Shanling, not so much.

Still, 10ohm 6ohm OI into 11ohm hybrid IEM certainly isn't ideal. It's something that's holding several prominent headfi'ers from trying them. I know because I've asked them to try the M2 & M3, but I usually get turned down because they see the high OI and are afraid their multi-BA IEM's SQ will be compromised.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #70 of 1,112
@Bellyworshipper: Both, eventually...

I own DX90 and am being sent a DX80 for a Head-Fi Meet in my city.

@sledgeharvy: Yes, I've found Shanling DAPs have less impact on multi-BA IEM, but it could still be a factor. The Soundaware Esther, which has a comparable OI (both are 10ohm OI IIRC), really put the whammy on several multi-BA IEM I tried with it. Shanling, not so much.

Still, 10ohm OI into 11ohm hybrid IEM certainly isn't ideal. It's something that's holding several prominent headfi'ers from trying them. I know because I've asked them to try the M2 & M3, but I usually get turned down because they see the high OI and are afraid their multi-BA IEM's SQ will be compromised.

As far as I know, the M5 has an OI of 6.3 Ohm (http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable/Shanling-M5%20?sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=50), which is less than 10 Ohm but is big enough in comparison to DX 90's <1 Ohm OI

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #71 of 1,112
As far as I know, the M5 has an OI of 6.3 Ohm (http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable/Shanling-M5%20?sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=50), which is less than 10 Ohm but is big enough in comparison to DX 90's <1 Ohm OI

Yes, you're right. I just looked up the value from a PM exchange with Shanling. M5 OI is ~6ohm. Unfortunately, that's still enough to make many prominent hybrid and multi-BA IEM HF'ers stay away from these fantastic Shanling DAPs.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #72 of 1,112
Yes, you're right. I just looked up the value from a PM exchange with @Shanling. M5 OI is ~6ohm. Unfortunately, that's still enough to make many prominent hybrid and multi-BA IEM HF'ers stay away from these fantastic Shanling DAPs.

Which is strange, because honestly, the sound the Shanlings produce is fantastic, which allows you to use more affordable earphones.Furthermore lets be honest, usually the more expensive CIEMs are the culprits for having low impedances. So to spend a couple hundred on a portable set-up vs a couple thousand would be beneficial.. right??.. lol.. Oh well.. I guess to each his/her own.. I think $400 for the player then another $100-$350 for a pair of IEMs is fantastic and be done for a few years.. but of course, that's just me... even though I buy DAPs like they are going out of style. but I buy them because I'm curious to see a couple of things:
1) Is it better for me and my equipment?
2) What does it sound like in comparison to what I have?
3) How does it operate?
4) Is it more user friendlier?
Stuff like that.. Honestly, as far as bells and whistles, the Cowon Plenue D has been one of my favorite DAPs..I just wish it had a more open tone to it like the M2.. or crisp sound like the DX80.. but once again, that's usage with my equipment. So of course, everyone will have their own outcomes.

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #74 of 1,112
Could someone with the experience write a few words of comparison between DX100 and Shanling M5 , Dx100 Aune M2, Shanling m5 and Aune m2, and any of these to the Esther M1 Vitality Edition ?

I needs it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back