Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #46 of 1,112
Just like the M2, Shanling nailed gapless playback with M5. Absolutely no gap is noticeable when playing a FLAC copy of Lifeforms by Future Sounds of London.

That's good to know. So overall, I guess its safe to say the M5 still has excellent imaging and timbre like the M2, only enhanced by a wider soundstage and more power for earphones and battery.
Sounds like a winner to me..

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #47 of 1,112
If i may ask, how is it compare to Xduoo X3 :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #48 of 1,112
That's good to know. So overall, I guess its safe to say the M5 still has excellent imaging and timbre like the M2, only enhanced by a wider soundstage and more power for earphones and battery.
Sounds like a winner to me..

Yes, it's safe to say this is a winner. If M3 had this form factor and UI, I think Shanling would be more common around Head-Fi. I'm glad M2 is getting more attention and am sure M5 will, too.

If i may ask, how is it compare to Xduoo X3 :)

Unfortunately, Xduoo is one of the brands I haven't heard yet...

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #49 of 1,112
Yes, it's safe to say this is a winner. If M3 had this form factor and UI, I think Shanling would be more common around Head-Fi. I'm glad M2 is getting more attention and am sure M5 will too...

I think the biggest thing is people see the output impedance, and get scared away.. I don't have any issues with noise floor. For me and my equipment, it's a jet black noise floor. And the sound isn't altered too warm or bright for any of my earphones. So, I have no issues with it.. Plus the single Sdcard is a deal breaker to a lot of head-fiers. For me, I only have roughly 60 gigs, so the Single Sdcard isn't an issue for me..

The only issue I have with the M2, can be resolved with a software update. Rather than a battery symbol that shows the battery status, I'd prefer a battery percentage over a battery symbol. With the battery symbol, I feel myself getting "outlet anxiety " I look at the battery symbol half full, and I start freaking out. Even though that means I still have a good 4 hours to go.. Lol..

So if you all at Shanling can add that feature to the status bar as found on the M5, I know this proud owner will be grateful.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #50 of 1,112
Rather than a battery symbol that shows the battery status, I'd prefer a battery percentage over a battery symbol. With the battery symbol, I feel myself getting "outlet anxiety " I look at the battery symbol half full, and I start freaking out. Even though that means I still have a good 4 hours to go.. Lol..

So if you all at Shanling can add that feature to the status bar as found on the M5, I know this proud owner will be grateful.

+1
I own M3 and have been suggesting this since I got battery issue a while ago. Having a percentage rather than battery symbol is less anxious.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #53 of 1,112
  Jamming this bad boy with the Unique Melody Miracle and Maestro tonight. Listened to Bjork and some solo work from Bruce Dicksinson so far. Can't wait for more people to get their hands on the M5!

I almost jumped on the M5 but couldn't get my hands on one of those sweet limited Ali coupons that you pay $60 and get $120 on an order over $ 399 
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #54 of 1,112
I almost jumped on the M5 but couldn't get my hands on one of those sweet limited Ali coupons that you pay $60 and get $120 on an order over $ 399 :frowning2:

I was just posting in the NuForce HEM thread that I was listening to HEM6 and HEM8 last night. The M5 totally blew the sound wide open with them, espe ially with the HEM8. I think it's the best combo with the HEM8 out of all I've tried so far, including smartphone, Cayin N5, and Lotoo PAW Gold. That really surprised me because I usually find PAW Gold demolishes any other DAP I put up against it. Now, I'm not saying M5 > PAW Gold. I'm just saying there was some great synergy with M5 + the4-driver HEM8. Good news considering M5's higher than typical output impedance.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #55 of 1,112
I was just posting in the NuForce HEM thread that I was listening to HEM6 and HEM8 last night. The M5 totally blew the sound wide open with them, espe ially with the HEM8. I think it's the best combo with the HEM8 out of all I've tried so far, including smartphone, Cayin N5, and Lotoo PAW Gold. That really surprised me because I usually find PAW Gold demolishes any other DAP I put up against it. Now, I'm not saying M5 > PAW Gold. I'm just saying there was some great synergy with M5 + the4-driver HEM8. Good news considering M5's higher than typical output impedance.

Glad you clarified the fact that it's not necessarily better 100% than the PAW Gold, but that depending on the gear you pair it with can give you relatively = SQ. That's really what it's all aout. Finding what works best for you and your equipment. I know I love the M2 with the RHA MA-600's since they are a little on the dark side. They pair better than the MA-750's, however, the T10's are my favorite at home when I'm not having to fumble around with the earhook system.. lol.. It's great in theory, but in real world usage, a little cumbersome. Oh well. Anyways.. lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back