Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 1,112
Along those lines, I went to test out the Campfire Audio IEM at ALO HQ here in Portland last summer. I used an AK380 they had. Browsing through the music, I noticed Steely Dan's Gaucho album. I'd never heard this "audiophile approved" album before, so I tried listening. I couldn't even make it through one song. It was just godawful for my tastes. I commented on it being on there, and one if the guys there said it's just on there because it's one of those albums people expect to test with not because they enjoyed it. That's definitely not my style. I didn't have Fleetwood Mac in my library until a DAP came around for testing and someone had left it in the internal memory. It was actually pretty sweet, so I got a copy for myself.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 1,112
I'd compare them if I had both on hand theMUKe...

Jamming some old skool Rush with M5 + HE400 right now. I've got it cranked to 70/120 on High Gain and it's a med-loud listen for me, so plenty of headroom. Sounds like HE400 typically sounds out of most mid-tier portable gear. Compared with desktop gear with more current, they don't sound as full. I'm happy to say that the M5 does help tame the upper end peakiness. With some gear, I can't listen at med-loud levels for fear of unleashing piercing blasts. This listen is crisp but not overblown and piercing.

Moving on to some Eagles, again sounds pretty darn good but I'm missing some of the warmth I get with desktop gear - especially in the vocals.

Cranking out some solo Bruce Dickinson, this setup is exposing what sounds like compression-induced congestion. Man, I wish metal producers weren't so heavy-handed with the compressors. Sheesh!

That's all for now. All in all, I'm very impressed with the M5. I just got the M2 back and popped it open. I'll do some comparative listening soon...

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #35 of 1,112
 I wonder if the M5's output impedance would have any problems with my Dunu 2000's 16 ohm load? 

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #37 of 1,112
That would be awesome to find out, since my Alien died/went missing, I've been researching a replacement without too much luck, having a fairly resolving speaker set up makes me a little jaded so my X3's lack of clarity in the vocal range is frustrating

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #38 of 1,112
   I wonder if the M5's output impedance would have any problems with my Dunu 2000's 16 ohm load? 

It should be fine.  I used the DN-2000 to listen to nmatheis' M2 and it sounded fantastic!  Is the impedance that different from the M5?  Of course, that's why he couldn't do a M5/M2 comparison until I shipped it back...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #41 of 1,112
If I had Aune M2 on hand, I'd let you know. From memory, I think I'd prefer the M5, but the Aune M2 is a very nice DAP, too. I just really like the Shanling house sound a lot. Honestly, if I were trying to get the Aune sound, I'd recommend starting with the 2016 revision of their B1 amp. This will get you Aune sound with a Class A amp and let you use a DAP with a more sophisticated UI. Just a thought.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #42 of 1,112
Been listening to the M5 with the new NuForce HEM multi-BA IEM. Very nice listening experience. Warm / analog yet detailed and spacious. Very happy with the total package of great sound + mature user interface. And now I just read that Shanling is working on a wifi-enabled DAP, which is something I've been waiting for. It's nice to see more streaming capable DAPs in the mix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back