Shanling M3s impressions. Not the official thread.
Aug 31, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #31 of 67
I really want to buy one of these Shanling devices, but I'm not a fan of the UI. Here's hoping to a change in UI.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #33 of 67
actually it's one of the best UIs and works decently right out of the box. You cannot say that from most Chinses makers.
UI obviously will be more or less same than from M1 and M2s
It definetly could use some work. It would be nice if it let you sort by more file tags(album artist, recently added...) and lyrics would be nice. Also I hate that it auto connects to Bluetooth every time you start it up. Its still my favorite DAP but the UI is not its strong suit.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #34 of 67
well, then switch BT off if not needed. Album artist sorting would be nice, but only very few DAPs have that function unfortunately.
Lyrics agree would be nice, but only if lyrics are read from tags. Some DAPs support lyrucs lrc-files, but who on earth is seriously doing that?

Just learned only 1 MicroSD slot is no issue anymore as SanDisk released a 400GB-MicroSD card.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 67
actually it's one of the best UIs and works decently right out of the box. You cannot say that from most Chinses makers.
UI obviously will be more or less same than from M1 and M2s

Totally agree, but I'm sure most already know that
:laughing:

It definetly could use some work. It would be nice if it let you sort by more file tags(album artist, recently added...) and lyrics would be nice. Also I hate that it auto connects to Bluetooth every time you start it up. Its still my favorite DAP but the UI is not its strong suit.

Disagree for the same reasons @BartSimpson1976 mentioned below...

well, then switch BT off if not needed. Album artist sorting would be nice, but only very few DAPs have that function unfortunately.
Lyrics agree would be nice, but only if lyrics are read from tags. Some DAPs support lyrucs lrc-files, but who on earth is seriously doing that?

Just learned only 1 MicroSD slot is no issue anymore as SanDisk released a 400GB-MicroSD card.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #36 of 67
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 67
We just created new official thread for M3s and we would be glad, if you would focus discussion into that thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...tx-bt-hiby-link-usb-out.859241/#post-13694334

Big thank you to @HombreCangrejo for starting this thread, but we don't want to put any preassure on you to keep this thread updated. As a sponsor, we can have our own official, fully updated thread.

Oh, it's great now, as sponsor, you can create your own thread. Congrats! I've seen specs... and price, all are really really tempting. Let's go to that thread.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #38 of 67
Size looks pretty comparable to i5, X7, etc...

Touchscreen isn't a big deal for me at least. The scroll knob thingie Shanling is using now are really darn good. Allow you to navigate quickly and efficiently.
I don't think the size is an issue in use, actually. It just looks weird at first glance, especially from an M2S user. It just looks like a spaghettified version. :D

In any case, I too am a fan of the scroll knob/wheel. It was very well implemented in the M2S.

In its core, M3s is M2s with the best audio circuit we could squeeze in.
That doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. You've got me interested! :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #43 of 67

Any pricing yet on the 400 GB microsd card? Given that 256 GB cards are around $200.00 in Canada I would guess I could almost afford two M3S's for what a 400 GB card would cost. Not to mention the chances a DAP releasing this year will support a 400 GB card that was literally just announced. I think I will stick with a 200 GB card for now as it seems to be the current sweet spot price wise.

I am intrigued about the M3S though as it wasn't even on my radar. I was a little disappointed in the battery life of the M2S so better battery life is a definite plus. I am interested to see how the price compares with the Sony A45 as the A35 is about $30.00 more than the M2S and the A45 is expected to be the same price as the A35.

I am also hoping that all this new competition in this price from the likes of Cayin and Shanling will force Sony to release their DAP's sooner.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #44 of 67
Pre-order price on amazon is around 250 USD now. It will work on all Shanling players (actually they must work on all DAPs from all makers
, if it doesn't work that means a standard is violated). On Shanling 512GB SD cards are working fine via adapter, so 400GB MIcroSD directly will be no issue.

Yeah, battery life of the M2s is a thing... especially the battery icon is one of the very few things that needs some work for next FW update. It shows full bars
for ever, and then suddenly while still two bars it shuts down. Maybe next FW should implement percentage to be shown instead of bars.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #45 of 67
Yeah, battery life of the M2s is a thing... especially the battery icon is one of the very few things that needs some work for next FW update. It shows full bars
for ever, and then suddenly while still two bars it shuts down. Maybe next FW should implement percentage to be shown instead of bars.
Yup, this is something that I've recently discovered myself. It's been twice now that the battery indicator shows 2 bars or so, and after half an hour, it suddenly shuts off. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back