Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #106 of 2,219
While I'm thoroughly satisfied with the sound quality of Fiio's X3 III, I'm still considering this to add to my little DAP collection.

Sadly with this hobby, spending more is inevitable. :ksc75smile:
Yes. I was all set on getting the X3 iii, and then I was sidetracked by the Sony A45 (which I will probably get), and now, another spanner is thrown in the works, with the introduction of the M3S.

Still, if the M2S is anything to go by, the M3S will be just as good, if not better. I'm a big fan of the Shanling sound, and with a few tweaks, they could very well have a mid-range champ on their hands.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #107 of 2,219
Not sure about the timing yet Brother @Ang Probinsyano. I look forward to giving it a listen and letting people know what I think, though!
I think your impressions will be the final trigger to get people to hit the "Buy" button.:joy:

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #109 of 2,219
I do like my Fiio X5 3rd Gen and found it to be stable throughout the past few months so I was strongly inclined to buy the Fiio x3 3rd Gen for travel & holiday, but I now believe the X3 will be a lemon so will give it a miss. Hopefully, the Shanling M3s will prove a good DAP & maybe teamed with Fiio F5 or F9 iem's?

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #111 of 2,219
Just to be clear, am I right in thinking the M3s will not be able to handle Playlists and cannot load apps like Media Monkey etc?
You're correct. It's not an Android based DAP.

ETA: I'm not sure about playlist, but I'd imagine you can create them on your PC and play them on the DAP just like others.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #112 of 2,219
You could make playlists within the device itself with Shanling players like Fiio DAPs, right? That is definitely a requirement of mine.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #114 of 2,219
You could make playlists within the device itself with Shanling players like Fiio DAPs, right? That is definitely a requirement of mine.
Well, I've never used the playlist function before, so I gave it a try on my M2S. You can add songs to already created playlist names, which are sorted by category. Some examples include Genre (Dance, Rock..) and Language. There doesn't seem to be an option to create your own playlist title.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #115 of 2,219
I think your impressions will be the final trigger to get people to hit the "Buy" button.:joy:

Hahahaha! You think I have much power and influence, lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just to be clear, am I right in thinking the M3s will not be able to handle Playlists and cannot load apps like Media Monkey etc?

Playlists, yes. Apps, no.

It's probably too late for that @Shanling but perhaps consider to add dust caps for the USB-C port to the accesories. Actually all DAP and phone makers should consider that.

Why specifically for USB C ports?

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #117 of 2,219
Hahahaha! You think I have much power and influence, lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Well.. your impressions convinced me to get the M2S without trying it. And I don't often buy products without auditioning them first. Thankfully, they sound fantastic! :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #118 of 2,219
Hi All, couple of basic questions. pretty new to portable DAP's. Does m3s need to be always used with a Amplifier, my ears hurt with IEMs, so have to use over the ear headphones like HD650 and HD700? can it play a Bose Qc35 bluetooth heaphone when i am travelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back