Shanling M3
Jul 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #92 of 567
someone to know what is "Playing Surfaces" in the sound menu of the M3 ?

Yes, it switches between two display modes for the "Now Playing" screen.

fb4264dd_NowPlayingScreens.png

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #93 of 567
Hey I´m thinking about getting this one as my first "audiophile" DAP, I listen to music on my iPhone. Would you recomend it over the DX90 and the X5ii?

I´m thinking about using it with the HiFiMan HE-400i and the EF2A(220V) USB Headphone Amplifier. What are your toughts on this?

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #94 of 567
  Hey I´m thinking about getting this one as my first "audiophile" DAP, I listen to music on my iPhone. Would you recomend it over the DX90 and the X5ii?

I´m thinking about using it with the HiFiMan HE-400i and the EF2A(220V) USB Headphone Amplifier. What are your toughts on this?

Can you tell us what you're looking for in a DAP?  I've tried all three of the DAPs you mentioned and could recommend any of them for different reasons.  Knowing a bit more about your particular preferences and use case would help.  And if you haven't, please check out the reviews for the M3 here and on headfonics.  

[size=1.2em] Pros: High-quality sound with hardware EQ. Solid build. Unique design. Very stable UI. Good battery life.
Cons: Large. Lacks gapless, play through folders, and playlist support. No protective case.
[/size]
[size=1.15em]

BACKGROUND

A bit of information about Shanling excerpted from their Website:

Shenzhen Shanling Digital Technology Development Co., Ltd. is a joint-venture high-tech enterprise specializing in research and development, manufacture, marketing and sales of audio products.  Shanling began as a developer of audio products in 1988, producing its first Hi-Fi stereo power amplifier.  Since then, Shanling has grown and now manufactures a wide range of products – SACD/CD player, high fidelity solid-state and vacuum tube amplifier, advanced mini music center, tuner, audio/video amplifier, etc.

Today, we'll be looking at their first entry into the ever-expanding Chinese DAP market, the Shanling M3.  

Before moving on, I'd like to point readers to two reviews that piqued my curiosity:

1. @YoYo JoKeR's M3 review
  2. @marcusd's M3 review on headfonics.com
Both reviews captured the essence of the M3 very well and have a different point of view than I do, so please hit those reviews up for a couple different perspectives.

Here's a LINK to the dedicated M3 thread, where you can look for previous and upcoming impressions, links to firmware updates, etc.

DISCLAIMER

I was provided the Shanling M3 as a review sample as part of a U.S. + Canada Review TourI'm coordinating.  There is no financial incentive from Shanling in writing this review.  I am in no way affiliated with Shanling, and this is my honest opinion of the M3.  I would like to thank @Shanling for giving several Head-Fi community members a chance to test drive the M3!

ABOUT ME

I'm a 43 year old father who loves music.  From electronic (Autechre, Boards of Canada) to modern/minimalist composition (John Cage, Philip Glass) to alternative rock (Flaming Lips, Radiohead) to jazz (John Coltrane and Miles Davis) to metal (Behemoth, King Diamond) to classic rock (Eagles, Rush), I listen to a wide variety of genres and artists. 

My portable music journey started with the venerable Sony Cassette Walkman and then progressed to portable CD players, minidisc recorders (still have my Sharp DR7), and finally on to DAPs like the Rio Karma, iRiver IHP-1xx, iPod 5.5, iPhones, and the newer crop of DAPs from Fiio and iBasso. 

I typically listen with IEMs from my ever-growing collection from budget to mid-fi. Less often, I grab a pair of full-size cans.  Recently, I've been listening a lot with my AKG K553 and HiFiMan HE400, as well as the Alpha & Delta AD01 and RHA T20 IEM I had in for testing.  I do have a lot of other gear, though.  You can always check my profile for a reasonably up to date gear list. 

As with a lot of people my age, I've got some hearing issues.  I've got mild tinnitus and suffer from allergies, which often affect hearing in my right ear.  I'll admit it, I'm not blessed with a pair of golden ears.  That said, I've been listening to portable gear for a long time and feel confident in assessing audio gear - just wanted to be transparent up front. 

REVIEW

SPECIFICATIONS
  1. Frequency response: 20Hz~20kHz
  2. THD: <0.004%
  3. Nominal power: 250mW @ 32Ω; 16mW @ 300Ω
  4. Battery charging time: ~6 hours @ 2 amps (power off); ~10 hours (power off) via typical USB computer port
  5. Battery Life: >10 hours (volume 30, screen off)
  6. Battery: 3600mAH rechargeable lithium polymer battery
  7. Recommended impedance: 16 - 300Ω
  8. Storage: 8 GB internal storage + TF card (up to 64 GB)
  9. Dimension: 69 x 21 x 125.5 mm (2.7 x 0.8 x 4.9 inches)
  10. Net weight: ~220 grams

FEATURES
  1. Broad support for audio files including DSD
  2. DAC functionality
  3. Unique joystick / command dial operation
  4. Hardware Bass / Treble Controls
  5. SRC Upsampling

MSRP: $450

STREET PRICE: $360

PACKAGING

The M3 comes in a classy matte black hinged box with embossed writing on the lid with an outer sleeve that mimics the inner box.

Upon opening the hinged box, you find the M3 nestled in a foam cutout.  When you first get it, the M3 will have thin protective plastic covers over the command dial / joystick and over the screen.  The protective cover over the screen has directions for using the command dial / joystick.

Under the protective foam, you'll find a thin black cardboard box with what looks like a warranty card in Chinese, a user manual in Chinese and English, a couple screen protectors, and a USB cable for charging and data transfer.  I'm glad the manual has an English section now and also that screen protectors are now included, as there were called out in the reviews I referenced above.  

Surprisingly for this price point, you won't find a carry pouch or silicon case.   I'd suggest Shanling at least consider a carry pouch for storage when your M3 isn't in use.  Even better yet, it would be fabulous if they included their very attractive leather case with the M3.  They come in black, red, and tan.

BUILD & ERGONOMICS

My first reaction after opening the box was, "Wow, that command dial / joystick thing looks pretty cool.  I hope it works well!"  I'd already seen a few comparison pics with other DAPs, so I wasn't surprised when I picked it up and fond it to be a bit larger than my other DAPs.  It felt quite solid with a full metal case.  The command dial / joystick is also metal and feels like it's built to last.  No way you're going to accidentally boost the volume into ear implosion territory with that dial.  No way!

There was a question in the tour thread about the command dial / joystick's durability, so I shot Shanling an email.  The reply was quick, and Shanling let me know that the command dial / joystick is manufactured by Alps and is rated for 50,000 presses in each direction.  Shanling also said that they haven't received any reports of a faulty command dial / joystick yet.  With that out of the way, let's take a tour of the M3.

The top has the knurled command dial / joystick, power button, screen, and a lot of black metal casing.  The bottom has the usual information.

The left and right sides are pretty sparse, with just a shallow groove to make gripping your M3 easier.

The bottom edge of the M3 has combined Line / SPDIF In & Out ports, USB port for charging and data transfer, and the sole micro SD slot.  Interestingly, this is the only DAP I have where the mSD card inserts with the writing side up and contact side down, which seems more natural to me.  I'm always trying to insert them that way on my other DAPs, can get them inserted, and then have to try again with the mSD card upside down.  Not so with the M3!  (BTW: I added the jack plugs, since I knew I wouldn't be using those ports much).

The top edge just has the headphone jack and a reset hole (which I never had to use).  In one of the previous reviews, it was noted that the headphone jack had bearings inside and wasn't the most secure connection.  I didn't find this to be the case.  All of the headphone plugs I inserted clicked in firmly and securely.

Here are some comparison pic with my other DAPs.

L-R: Shanling M3, Fiio X5, Fiio X3, iBasso DX90

Here's a stock photo of how it fits in your hand.  (BTW: I think they found someone with exceptionally large hands!)

To sum up: The M3 is solid, has a very modern, industrial appearance, and feels good in your hand.  But compared to my other DAPs, its larger size made it less pocket-friendly.  It's certainly possible, but it is a tight fit.  Of course, the most intriguing aspect from a design perspective is the command dial / joystick and lack of buttons beyond the power button.  Read on to find out how this works...

USER INTERFACE / FIRMWARE

User Interface (UI) can make or break your experience with any piece of technology.  In this case, the Shanling M3 makes a pretty radical departure from the physical interface most of us are used.  Let's be honest, it looks like it shouldn't work, doesn't it?  I mean, how are you supposed to navigate through the menu, music, skip tracks, and adjust volume all with that one command dial / joystick?  In practice, I found it pretty easy but admit that I did get a few tips from the reviews I referenced earlier.  

Ok, so how do you get around the M3?  It's all about the joystick, and all you old iRiver IHP users will feel right at home.  I know I did!  But unlike the tiny iRiver joystick, this one has some heft.  The joystick has a very solid click when you press it in any of the five directions that drive the M3's navigation (left, right, up, down, and straight in).  The knurled dial makes adjusting volume very easy.  Is it foolproof?  No.  But I'll cover that later on...

Here's your simplified guide to navigating the M3:

Power Button: Turns the M3 On / Off AND turns the screen On / Off

Click Up: Skip to beginning of the current track if more than 10 seconds have passed OR skip to the beginning of the previous track if less than 10 seconds have passed (same as Fiio's DAPs)
Hold Up: Rewind through track

Click Down: Skip to the end end of the current track
Hold Down: Fast-forward through track

Hold Right: Activate the Main Menu on the right side of the scree

Click Left: Navigate back through files
Hold Left: Activate the Quick Menu

Click Straight In: PLAY / PAUSE

Turn Dial Clockwise: Volume Up
Turn Dial Counter-Clockwise: Volume Down

That's basically it.  Navigating through menus and files is basically just clicking up, down, right, left to drill down and back out of the various sub-menus and to select something. I did have the occasional misfire during playback where I wanted to press straight in to pause the music but clicked up or down instead and ended up skipping tracks instead.

Here's what it looks like in practice, and if you looked over @marcusd's review on headfonics.com, you'll see that Shanling has refreshed the firmware with a much more modern-looking GUI.  Nice job, Shanling!

POWERING UP (Only takes a few seconds!)

MAIN MENU (HOLD RIGHT)
Top - Bottom: Now Playing, Music Center, File Directory, Play Settings, System Settings

SUB-MENUS 
Top L - R: Music Center + File Directory
Bottom L - R: Play Settings + System Settings

LEFT CLICK (File Navigation) + LEFT HOLD (Quick Menu)

Once you get used to it, it's really easy to navigate through the menu system.  In fact, I was a bit surprised when I found myself stumbling a bit when I moved back to my trusty X5 Classic!

The M3 has a screen lock feature that completely disables the command dial / joystick if you're worried about accidental clicks or volume adjustments while the M3 is in your pocket.  That's a mixed blessing, and the one time I wished there were more buttons on the M3 was when it was in my pocket!  With controls disabled, you basically have to take it out of your pocket to unlock the screen and skip tracks or adjust the volume.  With controls enabled, I got some accidental track skipping but never once had accidental volume adjustments.  This makes it feel better as a "set it and forget it" DAP where you select and album to play and throw it in an accessible location in your bag with lock screen controls enabled.  Then you can just sneak your hand in to skip tracks or adjust the volume as needed with worrying to much about accidental presses.  If only there were a few control buttons near the top of the M3 for more pocket-friendly operation.

Is it perfect?  Nope, it's not.  As an earlier reviewer pointed out, the main menu is a bit of a jumble with things you wouldn't use very often placed in the middle of the last instead of at the bottom.  This is confusing at first glance, but after getting used to the menu structure it begins to make sense because the M3 has wrap-around lists.  This means when you first enter a menu, you can click up to get to the bottom of the menu and start navigating up the menu.  So once you get used to where things are, it actually makes sense to put rarely used settings in the middle.  At least that's my thinking on this after using he M3 for awhile.  

Other gripes are a bit of lag and no Gapless, Play Through Folders, or Playlist support.  The lag isn't really any worse than my X5 Classic, bit its there nonetheless.  More important, there are no settings for Gapless or Play Through Folder playback.  What this means is you will get a very small gap between songs that should be seamless (which drives me batty!).  And there's no way to get the M3 to keep playing not the next folder after the current one is finished.  This isn't that big of a deal for me, as I tend to listen to one album at a time, but I know it's going to drive some of you out there crazy and might be a deal breaker.  The lack of Playlist support will also be a deal breaker for some of you.  Instead, you get a Favorites feature that's stuck on the M3.

Final gripes are that you can't skip tracks when you're navigating lists, since the Up / Down clicks are then relegated to menu navigation instead of skipping through tracks.  And I desperately wanted to be able to use the dial to quickly scroll through lists like an old school jog dial, but alas no joy!

Okay, I do have one last grip.  It's that darn 5800 track limit.  What is it with Chinese DAPs and a 5800 track limit?  Of course, the easy workaround is to just use the File Directory like I do on the rest of my Chinese DAPs.  The bonus in this is that you get to organize your music however you want to!

I've got to leave you with a positive because I do like this DAP.  Unlike most of my Chinese DAPs (and even my phone and tablet), the screen is bright enough to use in daylight conditions!

To sum up: No it's not perfect, but it is rock solid, pretty intuitive, and quite enjoyable to use.

BATTERY LIFE

I got ~10 hours at volume 20 with a little bit of fiddling around with the M3 - pretty spot on with Shanling's specs!

DAC

This isn't a feature I see myself using, as I typically just buy large capacity cards and listen straight out of my DAPs.  I gave it a spin for the review and found it to work flawlessly with my MacBook Pro running Yosemite and El Capitan, easily connecting to my Mac for use as a DAC at 192/24 resolution.  Easy-peasy!

THEMES

If you don't have album art, there are plenty of themes to choose from.

You can even simplify the Now Playing screen a bit if you want.

SOUND

During my time with the M3, I used a variety of headphones and IEM and listened to a wide variety of music in mostly AAC and FLAC formats.  I performed critical listening with M3 vs. my iPhone 5s + Shanling H3 DAC/Amp, my Fiio X5, and my iBasso DX90, volume matching across the three DAPs using a 1kHz test tone and the Decibel 10th iPhone app.

I typically switch off between my DX90 and X5, but as soon as the M3 arrived I started using it as my sole DAP and sound-wise found nothing to be lacking. It drove all of my HP / IEM well.  I used Low Gain for most of my HP and IEM, saving High Gain for my HE400 planars. 

I'll be completely upfront here and state that I think there are a lot of other reviewers who are much better at describing what they're hearing than me.  Please check out the reviews I referenced above for more eloquent / elaborate descriptions.  With that disclaimer out of the way, here's what I thought of the M3... 

Volume
  1. 60 steps, with a bit more volume increase between steps than I'd like.  I'd much prefer it to have 120 steps for finer-grained control with sensitive HP / IEM.

Driving Power with AKG K553
  1. M3: 21 LG, 17/18 HG
  2. X5: 50 LG, 38 HG
  3. DX90: 188 LG, 183 MG, 175 HG

Driving Power with HE400
  1. M3: 26 HG
  2. X5: 71 HG
  3. DX90: 207 HG

Soundstage
  1. M3 vs. H3: Comparable width.  Less depth and height.
  2. M3 vs. X5: Comparable width and depth but taller.
  3. M3 vs. DX90: Less width and depth, comparable height.

Lows
  1. M3 vs. H3: More linear.  Less impactful.  More relaxed / softer. 
  2. M3 vs. X5: More linear bass with less mid-bass bloom.  More natural but less fun.  Less impact / slam. 
  3. M3 vs. DX90: Slightly more linear bass.  Slightly softer / less fun.  Slightly less impact / slam. 

Mids
  1. M3 vs. H3: Similar presentation but with drier mids, conveying less emotion. 
  2. M3 vs. X5: Drier / cooler yet more intimate miss.
  3. M3 vs. DX90: Again, drier / cooler yet more intimate mids.

Highs
  1. M3 vs. H3: Smoother / less edgy but lacking a bit of crispness.
  2. M3 vs. X5: Smoother, more refined high end.  Less aggressive.  Less prone to accentuating sibilance.
  3. M3 vs. DX90: Again, smoother, more refined high end.  Less aggressive.  Less prone to accentuating sibilance.

Overall
  1. M3 vs. H3: The M3 sounds quite neutral in comparison, making it easier for longer listening sessions but less exciting. H3 now feels like the fun sound signature, with more bass impact, sweeter mids, and more detailed high end. 
  2. M3 vs. X5: M3 has more linear bass, a taller soundstage, and is detailed without sounding aggressive, giving the M3 a more neutral, natural sound signature. In comparison, the X5 has more mid-bass and a more aggressive high end, giving it a more "fun" sound signature than the M3's more refined, smooth sound signature. 
  3. M3 vs. DX90: M3 has more linear bass, soundstage is narrower and les deep, and is detailed without sounding aggressive, giving the M3 a more neutral, natural sound signature. In comparison, the DX90 has more mid-bass and a more aggressive high end, giving it a more "fun" sound signature than the M3's more refined, smooth sound signature. 

To sum up: Out of the dedicated DAPs I own or have tried, this is the most neutral sounding I've heard to date.  That can have its pros and cons.  On the plus side, you hear what you're supposed to be hearing.  On the negative side, if you're switching back and forth between DAPs the M3 can sound a bit flat / boring.  Get accustomed to its sound signature however, and your other DAPs might just end up sounding colored.

SUMMARY

PROS
  1. Neutral sound signature
  2. Hardware tone controls
  3. Drives all of my HP / IEM well
  4. Unique and attractive design
  5. Solid construction
  6. Intuitive navigation

CONS
  1. On the large side / lacks pocketability
  2. That pesky 5800 track limit rears its ugly head yet again
  3. No gapless, play through folders, or playlist capabilities
  4. No protective case
  5. Lockscreen modes are all or nothing
  6. Volume adjustment isn't as fine-grained as my other DAPs

Thanks for taking the time to read this review and thanks again to @Shanling for providing the Head-Fi community with the chance to test drive the M3!

[/size]

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #96 of 567
Well @nmatheis I guess what I´m looking first of all is that it should really sound like a step up from my current iPhone 6. 

The music I´ll be listening will be alternative rock: Radiohead, Pearl Jam, The National, The War on Drugs, Alt-J. Some folk: Damien Rice, José González, Laura Marling, Kurt Vile, Tobias Jesso. A little electronic, Nicolas Jaar and Chet Faker mostly. A little jazz, Miles Davis and stuff like that. A little russian classical like Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky. Some classical rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. 

So I listen to a lot of generes but mostly guitar(electric and acustic)/melody focused music.

I´m planing on pairing the DAC with this combo: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=218 HiFiMan HE-400i with the EF2A amp also by HiFiMan.

I´ll be mostly using it on my house or office. 

Thanks for the help.

P.D. your review was most helpfull, I don´t consider my self a conoseur of music but I´m a 26 year old music entusiast that plays guitar since I was 14, and been a music adict since I can recall so music is a big deal for me it defines what I am and what I like.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #99 of 567

What site are you guys getting your latest firmware update from? I went to the english Shanling site and it redirected me to some stupid site in New Zealand!! It lists the update software but will not download it and is looking for me to set up an account and this seems very suspicious to me.
Any help appreciated.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #101 of 567
What site are you guys getting your latest firmware update from? I went to the english Shanling site and it redirected me to some stupid site in New Zealand!! It lists the update software but will not download it and is looking for me to set up an account and this seems very suspicious to me.
Any help appreciated.

Mega is fine. It's kind of like Dropbox.

You can always download from Shanling's page on Baidu, but it's in Chinese: LINK.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #104 of 567
@nmatheis I´m eager to read your feedback.

Also, does anyone know where would I be able to get the M3? I wrote and e-mail to the brand and haven´t got an answer yet. I live in Mexico and I´m going to be in Houston the last week of August, so I want to know if I have to order it on line or something. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #105 of 567
@nmatheis
 I´m eager to read your feedback.

Also, does anyone know where would I be able to get the M3? I wrote and e-mail to the brand and haven´t got an answer yet. I live in Mexico and I´m going to be in Houston the last week of August, so I want to know if I have to order it on line or something. 

Sorry to leave you hanging!

You can order the M3 on Amazon: LINK.

Whether you want M3 or not depends on your sound signature preferences. The M3 has a pretty laid-back, non-fatiguing sound signature with most of the HP / IEM I tried it with. Pairing it with bright HP / IEM might lead to problems, but that's just the nature of the beast :wink_face:

If you're looking for something a bit more engaging on the bass side in the same price range, you could try the Fiio X5 the bonus with the X5 is you get 2 card slots.

If you're looking for more bass and treble energy, you could go with the DX90. The down side is short battery life. You can swap batteries, but I think that's a hassle and would rather have a good built-in battery any day!

Feel free to ask more specific questions. I don't currently have the M3 since its out on tour, but other M3 owners should feel free to chime in :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back