Shanling M2 DAP
Jan 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #466 of 1,348
Hello all, has anyone had an issue with the M2 whereby it stutters sometimes on playback, especially on flac files? Just lately I find that I can be listening to a song and for no apparent reason it begins to stutter, then clears for another 10 mins or so, then does it again. The battery has more than enough charge, I even thought it might be a corrupt file but I re-ripped the files and it done it again. Some days it runs non stop, other days it stutters, there is no direct pattern! I can go back in the track to the same point and it doesn't stutter then.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #469 of 1,348
Seems to have gone very quiet on this thread lately! I still love this DAP!
I recently got the chance to test the Lotoo Paw 5000 and at first I thought it was better than the M2 but now I am not so sure.
Personally I still find it a bit annoying that you need to bring up the screen to adjust the volume or change track, for me that should be available with the screen off. Any opinions?
Oh and thank you "Limor" and nmatheis for your suggestions before, it was rude of me not to reply right away.
Any new firmware coming up in the near future?
Has anyone seen the new colours yet?
That stutter issue I had just seemed to go away on it's own and I have not heard it since, in fact the M2 has been faultless ever since! 

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #470 of 1,348

Personally I still find it a bit annoying that you need to bring up the screen to adjust the volume or change track, for me that should be available with the screen off. Any opinions?

System Settings -> Screen Locked Operation -> On

Thank me later. 
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #473 of 1,348
Only 2.8 is supported.
Unfortunately i sent my M2 back. It was 2 month with of headache. I think if Shanling developed small entry level player - it must be perfect product that showing full potencial of company. I have got reboots and freezes. I'll never buy any another product from this company.

Also i had bad experience with Russian reseller xChesser. They took player back then they diagnosed it and said that they would change player because it had got hardware problem. But they sent me same player with same problems!!! It is beyond understanding! I lost part of my money for forwarding, commission. I spent time. It was awful. Fortunately reseller sent my money back. Of course i lost near 50 bucks for sending, case and other things.

If the product costs 100 bucks - can forgive a lot. But if this cost 250 - it is all a big mistake.

Now i bought ibasso dx80 and i am quite happy with it. No problems at all. Bye bye Shanling.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #474 of 1,348
  Only 2.8 is supported.
Unfortunately i sent my M2 back. It was 2 month with of headache. I think if Shanling developed small entry level player - it must be perfect product that showing full potencial of company. I have got reboots and freezes. I'll never buy any another product from this company.

Also i had bad experience with Russian reseller xChesser. They took player back then they diagnosed it and said that they would change player because it had got hardware problem. But they sent me same player with same problems!!! It is beyond understanding! I lost part of my money for forwarding, commission. I spent time. It was awful. Fortunately reseller sent my money back. Of course i lost near 50 bucks for sending, case and other things.

If the product costs 100 bucks - can forgive a lot. But if this cost 250 - it is all a big mistake.

Now i bought ibasso dx80 and i am quite happy with it. No problems at all. Bye bye Shanling.

This is too bad @Limor. I haven't had the M2 freeze at all. I'm sharing it with some of my headfi buddies in the US, and they haven't reported any stability issues, either. Seems like you got a bad unit and the distributor screwed you over. @Shanling please take note.

On a related note, the headfi'er playing with my M2 right now loves the sound, feeling it easily outcompetes DAPs in its price range. I'm looking forward to his final thoughts!

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #475 of 1,348
nmatheis it`s the really sad story) I understand - some problems happens during the production. It was not a problem for me. But distributor played wrong part. I was ready to send player directly in China. Shanling in PM recomended to keep connection with seller. I have done this. Eventually it all bothered me.
I like shopping in Europe with european sellers. If something goes wrong - they accommodates buyer concerns. 
I am very sorry about the situation. I loved first feel and sound of M2. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #476 of 1,348
  Seems to have gone very quiet on this thread lately! I still love this DAP!
I recently got the chance to test the Lotoo Paw 5000 and at first I thought it was better than the M2 but now I am not so sure.
Oh and thank you "Limor" and nmatheis for your suggestions before, it was rude of me not to reply right away.
Any new firmware coming up in the near future?
Has anyone seen the new colours yet?
That stutter issue I had just seemed to go away on it's own and I have not heard it since, in fact the M2 has been faultless ever since! 

I just bought one today...I was going to get one a month ago but abandoned the idea but recently got interested in the M2 again. How is the scroll wheel holding up? That would be my only concern. Also is it easy to get the latest fw?

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #477 of 1,348
@bruce1967

The scroll wheel was also something I was worried about, but after just little time, operation works very intuitively and is smooth as well as easy. Most people I know thought the same. Though, the turning resistance could be somewhat harder.

FW installation is quite simple: copy the FW file on your memory card and hit the "update" button in the settings.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #478 of 1,348
  @bruce1967

The scroll wheel was also something I was worried about, but after just little time, operation works very intuitively and is smooth as well as easy. Most people I know thought the same. Though, the turning resistance could be somewhat harder.

FW installation is quite simple: copy the FW file on your memory card and hit the "update" button in the settings.

Sounds good...does the scroll wheel feel very durable? Can you tell me how does it compare to Fiio's  scroll wheel on the X1 or X3ii if you have ever tried these DAPs.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #479 of 1,348
Haven't tried any of the newer FiiO DAPs, sorry. Compared to my first generation X3, I prefer M2's scroll wheel and UI/operation by a huge margin. Also find it better than my iPod Classic's (latest generation) click wheel. I have no idea how durable it is, but it neither feels super week nor super sturdy - maybe some power-users can comment on that. I actually think it should last extremely long, but that's my opinion on every button anyway (not related to the M2).

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #480 of 1,348
Thanks HIFIChris for that snippet of information, very useful! I was wondering what that was for... DUH!
Apart from the odd stutter and I am beginning to think it was caused by my SD card, the M2 has given no problems at all, I am really pleased with it. The only down side I have found so far is with a set of Havi B3Pro 1 headphones, they are totally lifeless connected directly to the M2, they are just so boring but then again, I have not got them to work with much up until now! I will give them a chance and run them in for a few hours and then see, I see so many recommendations for these headphones but personally, so far, I wouldn't give them drawer room! My Rockjaw Kommands and the Trinity Delta's work fine, so do a bundle of other headphones that I have but the Havi's, have not.
Anybody used an external DAC yet with the M2 and if so, which one and did it make any difference to the sound?
My opinion on the scroll wheel; I wasn't very keen to begin with, I kept pressing the wrong part and going back to the main menu when trying to select but I have now got used to it and it seems very robust indeed. Though I think it tries to do too many things in one small area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back