Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,181 of 6,418
I have also observed problems with latency when connected via USB to a windows 10 machine.
Even with "minimum latency mode" , buffer size of 64 and a fresh boot the latency is noticeable enough (not crazy high but certainly noticeable enough) that makes any machine-human interaction that involves sound reproduction feeling unnatural. In this day and age I think this kind of experience is unacceptable , not an "imperfection", and as such should be resolved as soon as possible.
What is more, the latency seems to become higher and higher as long as you keep using your PC, further impacting the user experience and again not something one's would expect in normal operation.

You might say that this is not a gaming oriented device, but the problems I mentioned do not only affect gaming but the any media consumption that has to do with sound. Also, none of my other sound reproduction devices are gaming devices and I have never encountered similar problems ( at least not in wired mode). And this comes from a guy who uses bluetooth for both keyboard and mouse.

I really do not want to sound harsh but I criticize what needs to be criticized and gives credit where its due. Any other aspect of your device is flawless really and you should be proud of the product you have produced. Lastly, I feel I should mention that I really value the fact that you communicate with your customers and you want to continuously improve your product.

Have a good day,

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,182 of 6,418
Is it bit perfect transport ? I tried to output dsd encoded FLAC 24bit 176.4khz files which were sttutering. It should not be the case as it should output it as pure pcm and dac should recognise it as dsd.

Yes, output is bitperfect, but we have some problems with DoP output currently.

Also, can I ask, what you mean by "DSD encoded 24/176 FLAC"?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #3,183 of 6,418
I'm late to the party but I think I'm in love. Also, several of my other devices just became redundant.

DSC_1063_result.jpg

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #3,189 of 6,418
My vid review will be posted in the next few days. Here's another little glamour shot of this little beauty

I don't know I think the right side is the prettier side. :blush: Actually full frontal might be a little risky for this forum, you might want to put it in a case.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,190 of 6,418
Yes, output is bitperfect, but we have some problems with DoP output currently.
Actually you can encode dsd64 into 24bit 176.4khz and save that file as FLAC. It will give noise with incompatible dac but with compatible dac it will decoded back to dsd. It is similar to dsd dop but in the form of saved FLAC file. If external dac is not able to decode it means the player is messing with the dsd flags and output is no more bit perfect.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,191 of 6,418
Not sure if I missed it in the options, but one I would like to see added is a "pause music when headphones unplugged"option added.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #3,193 of 6,418
Yes but that is because DSD128 over DoP is using the full limit of 384khz PCM. It would be less stress to use the native transport and decode and DSD128 and probably DSD256.

Moreover why are you not implementing the DSD native transport and decode for any DSD including most common DSD64.

This I believe would solve the clicks and pops that are an inherent problem with DoP/on fly D2P.

Could you reply to this one please Shanling?

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3,195 of 6,418
Actually you can encode dsd64 into 24bit 176.4khz and save that file as FLAC.
If the file is 24 bit then it is not DSD, it's PCM.

DSD is 1 bit.

Further, no external DAC can receive FLAC. It's PCM or in some cases DSD (or DoP which is DSD disguised as PCM).

FLAC must be decoded by the PLAYER to PCM and it is PCM that is sent out to the external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back