Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 3, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #991 of 6,413
How is changing SD cards in this, not too difficult? I have two 200GB cards laying around, don't want to spend more for a 512GB, so wondered how hard card swapping was, and how long the scan takes?
My X5ii pooped out, and my X5iii is just too clunky to use in my car, and this little guy seems like it would be a good choice.

Well, first of all, I would recommend a leather case for M0, just to enhance the grip (this guy is tiny and slick). With a case on, you will have to slide M0 out to get to uSD. Then while uSD card has a typical spring-loaded mechanism (push to unlatch/remove it), you have a weather-tight cover with a rubber gasket to keep it tight and dust/moisture free. Need to use a nail to lift it up. My guess, when you are exercising and have M0 in a plastic clip case attached to your clothe or armband, you want to keep it water/sweat proof, thus a tight seal of uSD cover.

shanling_m0-12.jpg

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #993 of 6,413
How does the M0 handle .cue sheets in folder browsing? Do the music file and the .cue file need to have the same names? Do individual tracks show? Also, what if there are more than one .cue file in the folder?

M0 supports cue in folder mode. When you open folder with cue sheet, it will immediately show it as list of split individual songs.
I have mine set up in standard way, so cue file and sound file with same name, didn't tested your alterations

A simple solution here could be an optional lock screen with a clock/date, where a user can disable it if they don't want to see it.

Oh, this was the most hated feature on our previous DAPs, as far that HiBy took it out completely.
For M0 it can make sort of sense, still curious how many people will actually use it as watch. Will see what can I do.

Also, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could provide pictures of their M0 on the 'playing' section with the album art of the track.

Here you go, photo from one Chinese review.
DSC09525.jpg

It wasn't 4 seconds, it was point 4 seconds, like a third of a second.
It was very distracting for videos, and unusable for games.
I think bluetooth might have less lag.

@Shanling , Is this an issue with all daps in usb dac mode?
For example, if I got the Shanling m3 instead, and put it in usb dac mode, would it be out of sync as well?
What about something like a Dragonfly Red? Is it because of USB?

Unfortunately this is common thing for all our DAPs currently.
For videos, I can only recommend to set up the software to balance this problem.
For games, I must recommend to get dedicated USB DAC/sound card.

Frankie, you're underestimating how awesome your own device is :) According to the spec sheet, that chip delivers: "...2.0Vrms output, allowing the ES9218P to drive the most demanding headsets and provide a true line-level output to match professional audio equipment."

In this case, we are back to question, what is "true line out". Your quoted spec is correct, it puts out true line-level output, which is the 2V. In this sense, it's fine line out, matching other devices on the market. And most people will see it as line out and be happy.
But that doesn't really fits with audiophile idea of true line out, as skipping the part called headphone amp and taking signal from the shortest path after DAC. We can of course discuss how big is difference between "headphone amp" and "analog stage" of DACs, especially on combined chips like our ES9218P Sabre...

Got my unit today and testing it a bit right now. Unfortunately i got one with screen tearing in the interface :frowning2:

Screen tearing is software problem. Simply nobody can find the original code of this screen, without it, fine tuning is taking little longer.
I will note, some people are not noticing it that much. Also, different colour themes can show it differently.

Received mine yesterday. Downloaded the most recent update to my computer, but the instructions are all in Chinese. And my Google Translate refuses to cooperate, so can't really do anything. Any suggestions to get the instructions in English another way? Thanks!

Unzip, put the update.bin file on mSD card formatted to FAT32, go to M0's settings and click on system update.
There are only chinese instructions, because we released units without 1.5 only in China.

@Shanling i wanted to know if it'll be possible that the next FW update would detect duplicate songs, for example, if i put a R&B folder on the sd card but i also put a music folder with my whole library that includes some songs of R&B folder that the M0 could detect duplicate song so it wouldn't show duplicate in my music>genre>R&B. because i want to put newest in a playlist(new folder on sd) but all genre in my music without duplicating it. hope you can understand with my bad english.

I hope they don't do this! I also have multiple versions of the same tracks on my SD cards, but I want them all to show up, because they're all subtely different - i.e., re-mastered 24/96 versions and redbook CD versions.

Currently not the feature we would be working on.

On the thought of audiobooks/podcasts again (sorry) any chance of making the m0 M4B compatible?
Thanks

We are looking into these different file formats connected to Audiobooks and different services selling them. Some of them will be problematic.

How is changing SD cards in this, not too difficult? I have two 200GB cards laying around, don't want to spend more for a 512GB, so wondered how hard card swapping was, and how long the scan takes?
My X5ii pooped out, and my X5iii is just too clunky to use in my car, and this little guy seems like it would be a good choice.

I will say, if you are using mainly folder browsing, you don't need to scan at all.
Saves tons of time for me, since I jump between few players every day.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 3, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #994 of 6,413
Shanling, what is the current status for adding remote control from phones? I really would like to have the feature with m0!!

Also is it possible to do digital out while charging? I sometimes use digital players when working at office and would not want to worry about batteries when doing so.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #996 of 6,413
Shanling, what is the current status for adding remote control from phones? I really would like to have the feature with m0!!

Also is it possible to do digital out while charging? I sometimes use digital players when working at office and would not want to worry about batteries when doing so.

Can't get you any update on remote control app right now.

Didn't tested if it can charge and output at the same time. You can try, but would need to get some matching splitter?

@shanlin Any time frame when the next firmware will be release? Thanks

Hopefully this week.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #997 of 6,413
well i found the little bugger and have been testing it with variety of iems
but right now i'm listening to it using my fostex T50RP MK2s and I am none the less impressed
it seemed to have problems with the Yersen YEN 2000s but everything else went fine
I am really enjoying listening to it with the T50RPs and my Beyeredynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohm over ears
big big sound
enjoying it very much as I type this (Pat Methany's "Follow Me" )

Still think a clip case would be a big help
when I put it in my pants pocket it keeps changing songs

Amazing little thing
tends to get hot though for some reason
The screen is a fingerprint magnet
and every once and a while if I am swiping around too fast it'll lockup and I have to reset it
a minor inconvenience when you consider the sound coming out of something so dang small

BTW
I decided to also plug in my MassDrop Sennheiser 6xx and although at the top of vol range it drove it just fine. And as a greater challenge I plugged in my 2000ohm original Sennheider HD414s and it struggled with that headset more than the Zishan Z3 but the sound seemed a little more even and not as overly bright as the Z3 at 93 on the volume dial.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #998 of 6,413
For those in the US that received a MO from MusicTeck, did you have to sign for the package? No one will be home part of the day MO is scheduled to arrive. Postal lady knows where to leave it if sig isn't required.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,000 of 6,413
couldn't hold back
ordered a blue M0

Does anyone use the M0 with the Alo Continental V5 amp?

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #1,003 of 6,413
Screen tearing is software problem. Simply nobody can find the original code of this screen, without it, fine tuning is taking little longer.
I will note, some people are not noticing it that much. Also, different colour themes can show it differently.

As long as it is not a hardware problem and fixable by software in the future i don't mind right now but i still hope it will be fixed. It is kind of distracting.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,004 of 6,413
Is anyone using this to play Tidall offline files? Any issues? Am I right in thinking that I would have to store the files on my phone and Bluetooth them to the M0?
Any loss in SQ doing this?

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,005 of 6,413
Is anyone using this to play Tidall offline files? Any issues? Am I right in thinking that I would have to store the files on my phone and Bluetooth them to the M0?
Any loss in SQ doing this?
You could either plug the M0 to your phone via USB or stream Tidal over bluetooth. First solution would not deteriorate SQ. Second solution would compress/ convert your music data. Depending on the bluetooth codec you will notice a drop in SQ. However, once LDAC bluetoth reception is implemented in M0 I think you would hardly notice any difference to the USB solution when straming Hi-Fi Quality Tidal music.
@Shanling
Will LDAC receiver mode come with the new FW? Please:grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back