Shanling HDCD tube-based player
Jan 25, 2002 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Bhasi

New Head-Fier
This has generated interest recently on Audio Asylum, but I thought it might be worth mentioning here in case anyone missed it, especially since it apparently has a tubed headphone output too.

The price works out at about UK£850/US$1200

http://www.shanling.com/html/CD-T100e.htm
http://www.shanling.com/product/price_1.htm

e-mails to shanling@szonline.net are answered by Hunter, a very courteous employee, who can give contact details for agents in China. Maybe local forum members could report?

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 29
Woweee, and drool... that has to be the best looking CD player I've ever seen... me want, me want
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 29
A tubed headphone output? Interesting. What type of tubes does it use?

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 29
Good lord, that thing looks badass. I also think the price is incredibly cheap considering the player's build quality and looks...they could probably have charged $6000+ for it and nobody would've batted an eyelash.

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 29
Man... the more I look at it, the more I want it... *droooooool...* *wipes slobber off mouth*

Doesn't Sony have that one CDP that looks really awesome too (not as awesome as this)? XA something something, available only in Japan...

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 29
You're thinking of Sony's concept CDP perhaps that'll probably never be made...Sony for the most part has stuck with pretty old school designs for their players, just look at their current top of the line XA-777ES if anything. Those gold versions of the 9000ES and SCD-777ES are about as pretty as Sonys come currently.

Now that I'm done drooling, I have to question the smarts of exposing the CD transport in that fashion. The arms holding that round clamshell had better be made out of titanium magnesium adamantium or something.

Jan 26, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 29
That looks like metal for certain, I doubt manufacturers would use wood on a part that requires tons of dampening since you can't control the density of a piece of wood very well. What scares me is how thin that piece of metal looks that's connected to the top of the lid...which is why that metal in itself had better be a very dense and rigid one.

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 29
Holy Crap is that gorgeous. Damn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like that metal is OK, looks like the CD goes under that blue glass or plexy spinner, so the metal holding that assembly should be fine.

Jan 27, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 29
Indeed ! It is really very nice looking. I wonder if it sounds as good.

Anyone keen to buy one? If there is, PLEASE post a review on it. I would love to hear it out.

Cheers.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
I think someone from audio asylum is getting a review unit so, we'll hear about it soon...

Thanks for the info. I will keep a lookout on it. Cheers.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 29
It's cool to see that I'm not the only one who is into that totally retro-scifi 50s look. Unfortunately, almost everything that is in that look is overpriced and/or crap, in my experience. Even lamps and such. It's the price you pay for fashion. When the gods created our world they must have laid forth the law "let form and function never meet on happy terms."

But I'll definitely hold out for the review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kelly

Jan 28, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 29
(immediately runs to the store and buys a lottery ticket)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back