Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #976 of 1,116
What phone is that? It's highly strange that all other apps would be working and just Apple Music Hi-Res would stop, sounds more like software issue on the side of Apple Music.

Have you tested it with any other DACs? Have you reached to Apple for support on their software?
Poco f5,sd7 gen 2,Android 13....right now h7 is the only dac I have.didnt tried apple support

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #977 of 1,116
What phone is that? It's highly strange that all other apps would be working and just Apple Music Hi-Res would stop, sounds more like software issue on the side of Apple Music.

Have you tested it with any other DACs? Have you reached to Apple for support on their software?

I have Fiio Music player on Mate 40 pro, have sound play stops for every few seconds, It looks like H7's USB bandwidth is not high enough. Cannot play with default Huawei music player because Huawei player does not support external DAC. I have v1.6 firmware.

I guess Apple checks bandwidth (by checking ASIO driver) before sending Hires sound. If below limit then stops. I have no issue with computer/ASIO/Sony Music player. I believe this is your USB driver issue, just like people complained about linux issue before. H7 does not have ASIO fall over to PCM setting. My understanding is this is XMOS feature, not your design.

You cannot compare this H7 with other external DAC because other DAC may not use XMOS chip.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #978 of 1,116
My H7 is not responding to any buttons, cant turn it off, can't reset, can't do anything

Edit: holding volume know down for a long time does a power down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #979 of 1,116
My H7 is not responding to any buttons, cant turn it off, can't reset, can't do anything

Edit: holding volume know down for a long time does a power down

Hi,

Was about to tell you to power it down. I had the same on the EH-3 but that one has a hardware power button :wink:
So it is easier to power off just in case it is needed.

Regards.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #980 of 1,116
I have Fiio Music player on Mate 40 pro, have sound play stops for every few seconds, It looks like H7's USB bandwidth is not high enough. Cannot play with default Huawei music player because Huawei player does not support external DAC. I have v1.6 firmware.

I guess Apple checks bandwidth (by checking ASIO driver) before sending Hires sound. If below limit then stops. I have no issue with computer/ASIO/Sony Music player. I believe this is your USB driver issue, just like people complained about linux issue before. H7 does not have ASIO fall over to PCM setting. My understanding is this is XMOS feature, not your design.

You cannot compare this H7 with other external DAC because other DAC may not use XMOS chip.
Tried with my another 4 year old android phone and working fine.I think the problem is with my new phone's usb driver.Same problem with qobuz also.only cd quality working on app but hi res working through third part app uapp and hiby music.I prefer apple music over other streaming apps sadly we cannot use third party apps for apple music.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #981 of 1,116
there is a problem with it because when I turn on I have no sound on headphones. I have to restart (turn off and back turn on) to get the sound. Firmware update from 1.4 to 1.5 didn't solve that. Is someone else have experienced same issue ?
I'm not alone with that problem which has not been fixed at latest v1.6 firmware update :

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #983 of 1,116
@Shanling why some folders are empty when I try to play the music via SD card? There are files in these folders.
Ive spent 2h trying to figure out how to make it work but with no success.
Ive copied some folders which didn't work again and it helped but others still show up as empty.
Jesus can you just once make a good working software? I want to listen to the music lol

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #984 of 1,116
And when I minimalise the app it disconnects the Sync link... I need to connect my Samsung to the H7 everytime.
The first day of use and already full of bugs.
Sounds great but can't focus on the listening because of this. Very annoying

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #985 of 1,116
I received the H7 today but cant see any link to 1.7 firmware. I have 1.6 installed.
Where is it?
Coming online this week, but if you want, it's here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V_0tp1pRLxNF0hDzhr8Su_IbQH796zor/view?usp=drive_link

@Shanling why some folders are empty when I try to play the music via SD card? There are files in these folders.
Ive spent 2h trying to figure out how to make it work but with no success.
Ive copied some folders which didn't work again and it helped but others still show up as empty.
Jesus can you just once make a good working software? I want to listen to the music lol

Are you able to access the files with music scan?
Are these files any particular format?
Have you seen the same behavior on multiple card or did you test just one?

And when I minimalise the app it disconnects the Sync link... I need to connect my Samsung to the H7 everytime.
The first day of use and already full of bugs.
Sounds great but can't focus on the listening because of this. Very annoying

If it disconnects any time you minimize the app, it's due to your phone settings. You can go to battery and app setting and adjust the behavior for it. Can have various names, on Xiaomi it's for example "Battery Saver" setting for the app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #987 of 1,116
Coming online this week, but if you want, it's here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V_0tp1pRLxNF0hDzhr8Su_IbQH796zor/view?usp=drive_link

Are you able to access the files with music scan?
Are these files any particular format?
Have you seen the same behavior on multiple card or did you test just one?

If it disconnects any time you minimize the app, it's due to your phone settings. You can go to battery and app setting and adjust the behavior for it. Can have various names, on Xiaomi it's for example "Battery Saver" setting for the app.
Ok thank you for the quick reply.
I turned every persmission to allowed so this isnt an issue.
The files that werent detected are in standard 16 or 24 flacs. I just cut them from a main, artist folder and pasted them in the main Music folder and this seems to solve any issues. Dont understand why most of other files are recognizable but some not, but not an issue anymore, can live with it like this.
When it comes to cutting the Sync Link connection, i just stopped paying attention to it, because even when it looks like it lost the Sync link connection, i can still navigate through the smartphone. Sometimes i need to reconnect again because it just completely stops working and the device seems to freeze (20 sec power button push restarts the H7). But overall it just works even if it looks like it shouldnt lol.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #988 of 1,116
Ok thank you for the quick reply.
I turned every persmission to allowed so this isnt an issue.
The files that werent detected are in standard 16 or 24 flacs. I just cut them from a main, artist folder and pasted them in the main Music folder and this seems to solve any issues. Dont understand why most of other files are recognizable but some not, but not an issue anymore, can live with it like this.
When it comes to cutting the Sync Link connection, i just stopped paying attention to it, because even when it looks like it lost the Sync link connection, i can still navigate through the smartphone. Sometimes i need to reconnect again because it just completely stops working and the device seems to freeze (20 sec power button push restarts the H7). But overall it just works even if it looks like it shouldnt lol.
It shouldn't be simple system permissions, it's hidden under battery saving, running optimization, etc.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #989 of 1,116
Can write some impressions as it seems like i somehow overcame most of the UI issues which drove me crazy. Now i can actually use Eddict app without any issues until the battery is dead :)
The tests are done mainly with the Softears Twilight (as these are my favs, daily drivers), Monarch 2, Hook X. Soundwise, to my ears but from memory, the H7 sounds like the M9. It has a very similar sound profile, which is very smooth, laid back and has an excellent detail, especially in the mid/treble area. The stage is very very big due to the pushed back mids and all this creates huge, stadium-like soundstage effect. Its also very wide, i can easily hear the left-right sounds popping out farther away than on the AK sp1000.
The dynamics are the interesting part. The sound is smooth and laid back, not aggressive at all but there is a feeling of a very powerful and punchy sound that pulsates under every note. The big drumms effects, like the ones on a properly recorded live concerts or on the soundtrack from Cyberpunk or Blade Runner for example, sound explosive, exactly how i remembered them from the M9. They sound like a fireworks explosions when youre on the outside during a new year party. I didnt hear them this way on any other source ive tried, only on the M9 and H7. This is probably the effect of two factors working together- the tuning and the power. Its very impressive.
Its a definite step up from the M8 technically- the mids are farther away, the overall sound is less aggressive, less colored but more dynamic and spacious. It sounds more like a desktop amp than a DAP.
The hights are impressively detailed, like every small nuance is extracted in a very effortless way. No congestion, a lot of air between intruments, everything sounds just easy on the ear.
Ive had/heard many sources in the last 2 years, like the M8, M9, sp1000, sp1000M, sp2000, 2000T, se300, Kann Max, Fiio M15s, dx300, dx320 with almost every amp, IFI Gold Bar, Gryphon, Dethonray Pegasus Gold and some more. To my ears, the H7 is one of the most impressive ones, and definitely the most euphonic and musical (along with the dx320 with the amp13 and the M9 and Pegasus Gold).
I have the sp1000 as my main dap right now and its sound is very close to the sp2000, being slightly less technical but its still on a very high level, beating most other sources mentioned above like the M8, dx320, se300, m15s- these i compared very recently. Its perfectly neutral, reference but sweet, dynamic, with big, separated, precise stage and very natural and realistic timbre.
I like the sp1000 and h7 similarly for different reasons. The H7 is more euphonic, musical, sounds even wider and has this sweet overall hue. The sp1000 is more reference, makes no mistakes, sounds almost perfect with every music (like the sp2000 which is practically the sp1000 pushed even slightly farther in this perfection).
But this reference perfection is what makes both AKs less fun. And here comes the h7 with a more fun but similarly technically impressive sound. Its just more explosive, more WOWish.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #990 of 1,116
Wow and the LDAC sounds fantastic! Just tried today and cant hear much degredation in sq compared to local SD card. Very similar dynamics and staging, even the treble area seems preserving most small nuances and layering but is bit less smooth. Sounds very slightly warmer in the lows.
For me a better BT playback than the Gryphon which was more smoothed out via BT and lacked dynamics compared to when in USB playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back