Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #646 of 1,116
It's all a matter of perspective, of course, but IMHO, H7 has no competitor **based on how I would use such a portable DAC/amp**. Until another maker gives us the ability to insert a SD card and play music without wired or BT connection to another device, H7 stands alone. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing is 1) wanting further maturation of the iOS app; and 2) I just basically very rarely use personal audio stuff anymore; literally a handful of hours each month, so it is difficult for me to justify spending anything on the hobby these days.

I'll still likely succumb at some point though because I am enamored by the H7 as a sort of alternative to full-fledged Android DAPs.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #647 of 1,116
Shanling H7+Monarch mk2
Yes, it's a fantastic bunch. I had a Monarch mk2. But I had to sell them, because the huge shell was bothering my ears. At least do the reshell... But not everywhere it is easy to do. It is very difficult to find headphones similar in sound to the Monarch mk2 with a smaller shell. Despite the fact that Spinfit W1 greatly change the situation. Still, it's a pain! The audiophile must suffer :)
But Elysian Gaea is very very close to Monarch mk2. In some ways it is superior, but in the middle it is still more harmonious as a good aged cognac was Monarch mk2. There's a taste and color. Gaea "Hallelujah" is doing great with landing and shell. It's like you're not wearing them. With the Shanling H7, sound Monarch mk2 and Gaea amazing.

By the way, I have not met any bad reviews on H7, except for one person who reported that H7 is very much inferior to iFi Diablo, is Diablo really so good that it does H7 in full? I doubt if anyone has any experience of comparison?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #648 of 1,116
Yes, it's a fantastic bunch. I had a Monarch mk2. But I had to sell them, because the huge shell was bothering my ears. At least do the reshell... But not everywhere it is easy to do. It is very difficult to find headphones similar in sound to the Monarch mk2 with a smaller shell. Despite the fact that Spinfit W1 greatly change the situation. Still, it's a pain! The audiophile must suffer :)
But Elysian Gaea is very very close to Monarch mk2. In some ways it is superior, but in the middle it is still more harmonious as a good aged cognac was Monarch mk2. There's a taste and color. Gaea "Hallelujah" is doing great with landing and shell. It's like you're not wearing them. With the Shanling H7, sound Monarch mk2 and Gaea amazing.

By the way, I have not met any bad reviews on H7, except for one person who reported that H7 is very much inferior to iFi Diablo, is Diablo really so good that it does H7 in full? I doubt if anyone has any experience of comparison?
I wouldnt believe that the h7 is inferior to the Diablo. I preferred the M8 to the Diablo hands down. More musical and smoother sounding. Maybe those opinions reffered to the power for full sized planars. Diablo is for sure more powerfull than the H7.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #649 of 1,116
Hey all, I was initially considering the iBasso DX320 but after some consideration, I'd much rather not pay the extra for Screen, OS, SoC, RAM... especially, since I need to upgrade my ~8 year old PC which is having a 4th Gen CPU.

Will the H7 sound as good as the DX320? I have read the whole thread and seen atleast 4 users mentioned that it's better than Gryphon and 1 mention that it's better than micro iDSD Signature which to me, is a very high praise considering that the micro iDSD Signature is my favourite device among the ones I've heard/owned like Gryphon, Mojo 2, RS2...

Also, what exactly is better (in sound quality) about the H7 vs Gryphon?
Anyone?

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #650 of 1,116
@Shanling I'm a little confused about how to obtain the firmware. Is it necessary to sign up for a Baidu account to do so?

If you want to download from Baidu cloud, you need to have account there (and download their annoying app). Mostly it's using Chinese phone numbers, I'm not sure right now how is it with foreign numbers, I didn't test it with my EU phone.

Or you can just wait for our normal international release of the firmware. Which brings me to:

Firmware update V1.5 for H7:

If you are Android user, please make sure to update your Eddict Player app to version V2.1.5

https://en.shanling.com/article-H7V15.html

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #652 of 1,116

Probably inferior in power specs and ability to drive full size headphones. Also his sound preferences is different, and may prefer clinical signature more than Shanling house sound. I tried Arya SE on H7, not impressed at all.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #653 of 1,116
Hey all, I was initially considering the iBasso DX320 but after some consideration, I'd much rather not pay the extra for Screen, OS, SoC, RAM... especially, since I need to upgrade my ~8 year old PC which is having a 4th Gen CPU.

Will the H7 sound as good as the DX320? I have read the whole thread and seen atleast 4 users mentioned that it's better than Gryphon and 1 mention that it's better than micro iDSD Signature which to me, is a very high praise considering that the micro iDSD Signature is my favourite device among the ones I've heard/owned like Gryphon, Mojo 2, RS2...

Also, what exactly is better (in sound quality) about the H7 vs Gryphon?
In my experience, with IEMs,

H7>iDSD Signature/Gryphon(For headphones, I prefer Signature)

&

DX320>>H7.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #654 of 1,116
Updated the firmware from 1.4 to 1.5 Testing.

Now album covers are loaded automatically not from the Internet, but via Bluetooth. This is really great, because the album cover is 100% consistent with the track. I have a cover in every folder of the album on a microsd card. You can turn off the internet synchronization option. BUT! at the same time, you still need to click on each track to cover ON... Tracks that you haven't listened to, they will be without covers. @Shanling We need to make the covers right away without listening to the tracks. Let the synchronization take longer, it's not scary. And the covers will be pulled up on Bluetooth all at once.

The H7 charge is displayed in the synlink. Yes, it's good if the H7 is in the bag. Through the smartphone you can see how much charge.
Volume control in the synlink mode now works perfectly with a smartphone and is regulated there and there. I think everything is fine on Bluetooth too.
To turn off now you need to hold the right wheel longer.
Otherwise, it seems like everything is the same.

By the sound, I don't know if something has changed, I think it sounds the same. Check on some track before the firmware and after.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #655 of 1,116
It's all a matter of perspective, of course, but IMHO, H7 has no competitor **based on how I would use such a portable DAC/amp**. Until another maker gives us the ability to insert a SD card and play music without wired or BT connection to another device, H7 stands alone. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing is 1) wanting further maturation of the iOS app; and 2) I just basically very rarely use personal audio stuff anymore; literally a handful of hours each month, so it is difficult for me to justify spending anything on the hobby these days.

I'll still likely succumb at some point though because I am enamored by the H7 as a sort of alternative to full-fledged Android DAPs.
Chord Mojo 2 with Poly has a uSD card slot. Whether or not one beats the other I have no idea, just commenting H7 isn't the first to offer this feature.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #656 of 1,116
Chord Mojo 2 with Poly has a uSD card slot. Whether or not one beats the other I have no idea, just commenting H7 isn't the first to offer this feature.

In my review and here in the thread I think I mention that the Poly was doing something similar. I mentioned it because it took Chord well over a year to sort out many issues with the functions of the SD card slot on the Poly. I owned it and it was a nightmare for a few months in it's early stages.

Despite some minor flaws that will hopefully be ironed out, the H7 makes a better job in it's early stages than the Poly did at the same stage.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #657 of 1,116
Updated the firmware from 1.4 to 1.5 Testing.

Now album covers are loaded automatically not from the Internet, but via Bluetooth. This is really great, because the album cover is 100% consistent with the track. I have a cover in every folder of the album on a microsd card. You can turn off the internet synchronization option. BUT! at the same time, you still need to click on each track to cover ON... Tracks that you haven't listened to, they will be without covers. @Shanling We need to make the covers right away without listening to the tracks. Let the synchronization take longer, it's not scary. And the covers will be pulled up on Bluetooth all at once.

The H7 charge is displayed in the synlink. Yes, it's good if the H7 is in the bag. Through the smartphone you can see how much charge.
Volume control in the synlink mode now works perfectly with a smartphone and is regulated there and there. I think everything is fine on Bluetooth too.
To turn off now you need to hold the right wheel longer.
Otherwise, it seems like everything is the same.

By the sound, I don't know if something has changed, I think it sounds the same. Check on some track before the firmware and after.
My impressions also same after the update 1.5v

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #658 of 1,116
Firmware successfully updated. Very easy and surprisingly fast. Overall very happy with this update.

Yes, finally Album Covers are automatically retrieved from folder and works really well, considering.

It would be great if this is possible, but also question how long it would take with large libraries.
Either way, I'm just happy to now have album covers displayed from folder, many of which I scanned myself from CD sleeves.

@Shanling, please relay my thanks to your software team for listening to customers and coming up with a better alternative so quickly.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #659 of 1,116
In my review and here in the thread I think I mention that the Poly was doing something similar. I mentioned it because it took Chord well over a year to sort out many issues with the functions of the SD card slot on the Poly. I owned it and it was a nightmare for a few months in it's early stages.

Despite some minor flaws that will hopefully be ironed out, the H7 makes a better job in it's early stages than the Poly did at the same stage.
hahaha, yep I temporarily owned the Chord set-up for a short time right after release. It was a really bad experieince for me, so mea culpa...my subconscious refused to remember that as an actual working solution. Ugh don't even want to think back on that, LOL.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #660 of 1,116
Hello friends,

From what I have read, I could only find 2 opinions regarding using the H7 as a DAC to a portable / fixed Amp (in my case a Vorzuge Vorzamp Pure II Pro).

One trashed the H7 as a DAC alone to an external amp and another raved about it. So, this is very important to me in my quest for a great quality portable DAC to my portable amp. Can anyone, that has tried to pair the H7 with external amps, give his impressions? I believe the right way to connect it is probably using the RCA output to a 3,5mm jack to the in-socket of the portable amp and just maximize volume on the H7 for a 2,4V output.

Considering that the micro SD option is the second main attraction, for me, in the H7, how does it works when using an iPhone 13 mini as a remote? I will be using a 256GB card and don't usually have an heavy music library, so I'm just looking to understand if I can remotely make it play without losing connection and so on. I understand that the software still needs work, but the most important to me is that it works every time. I'm also considering the Mojo 2 with a Poly, amongst different options, but I have many concerns regarding connection issues, plus it is expensive and it seems that the SQ is not at the same level of the H7 but in my case I'm only interested in the DAC sound.

I would love some opinions on these 2 ideas, if possible.

Thank you and cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back