Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Feb 21, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #586 of 1,116
but boy the software (my experience) needs a LOT of work...
+1.

I'm currently using a transport (Tempotec V1) to get the HibyLink goodies.

Here's to wishing that the Eddict app achieve feature parity with HibyLink. The second most loved feature (onboard microSD slot, only next to the sound) is stunted by the current state of the software.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #587 of 1,116
still yet to receive my h7 but... from reading about all the software issues... i just gotta ask.. is there a limit to what firmware updates can improve upon in the future?

i have an epson printer that occasionally tells me that they have to download a firmware update. it may be just me but i dont really notice anything different with the printer. could the same be said about high end dac/amps such as the shanling h7.

im just such a sucker for great software that comes with devices that makes everything so seemless...

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #588 of 1,116
still yet to receive my h7 but... from reading about all the software issues... i just gotta ask.. is there a limit to what firmware updates can improve upon in the future?

i have an epson printer that occasionally tells me that they have to download a firmware update. it may be just me but i dont really notice anything different with the printer. could the same be said about high end dac/amps such as the shanling h7.

im just such a sucker for great software that comes with devices that makes everything so seemless...

The software issue is mainly on side of our app, that's something our team continuously works on improving.

It also depends what you want to do. If you just want to run it as USB or Bluetooth DAC, that is already smooth.

For H7, we should be also able to do quite a lot with firmware updates, as it's built on Ingenic X2000 platform, which we are now integrating into more models.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 22, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #589 of 1,116
Well I gave it a good try. Made a connection. Started the music scan and the app got hung up. Reset the H7 and tried again. Now it keeps trying to pair but won't . Uggh. Such a good sound out of this thing but boy the software (my experience) needs a LOT of work...
Can you try delete the app and reinstall it? I had very similar issues to you at the start but it is working perfectly now after installing the app clean and not pairing via Bluetooth first which seems to start all of the issues on iOS.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #590 of 1,116

For me there is not 'all software issues', this suggests a sizeable number.
There is for me teething issues with the app however if using without the app (99%) of time for me then it is virtually perfect as a product with no issues.

If you use the Chord Poly as a marker, which I owned. The software issues for their app which carried a similar role took many months just to get to a usable state. I think patience may be required by those wanting more out of the app.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #591 of 1,116
The software issue is mainly on side of our app, that's something our team continuously works on improving.

It also depends what you want to do. If you just want to run it as USB or Bluetooth DAC, that is already smooth.

For H7, we should be also able to do quite a lot with firmware updates, as it's built on Ingenic X2000 platform, which we are now integrating into more models.
I am also looking for major updates on the eddict player. I just hope it doesn’t take too long!

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #593 of 1,116
Yeah I think for me the app would be unusable at the moment, with it's primitive search function. I could use it connected via USB but then it could be any other higher quality portable dac/amp. Also folder browsing from a player level would be very welcomed.
Now, having the M8 it just doesn't make any sense for me to switch.
Pity but let's wait..

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #595 of 1,116
Yes i think same. If you have the M8 than is it better to stay with him. I do same. The sound is great. What you want more? Ok the software is in opion crap. But what you can do??
The software on the M8 is even slower than on my 6 years old Pioneer xdp-300r and its Android Lollipop but it works. So the M8 is still efficient functionally and the sound... its honey poured with thunder:)

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #597 of 1,116
Yes you are right. The sound is unbelievable. But the software is crap. The baddest software from all players what you can buy. I don't know what is the problem from the Shanling software team 😐😐😐
I think its due to the poor SoC implementation. I remember the software on the M9 to be very fast.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #599 of 1,116
Well, guys, you really hate the Eddict Player... I have Android 13 and everything is not so bad in H7. I have never encountered any of the problems described above by downloading the app through the Play Market. Everything connects smartly and without any problems. SD card or Bluetooth. You want too much. This is not a player. This is a DAC with the function of playing from an sd card with awesome sound for an affordable price. Yes, there are some features in the operation of the player on a smartphone. But there is nothing critical. Everything works fine. I tried to break the Eddict player, but it didn't work out. Search usind SD card by artists, folders, music styles and tracks, everything is quite well implemented now. You can use it. We are looking forward to updates.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #600 of 1,116
Well, guys, you really hate the Eddict Player... I have Android 13 and everything is not so bad in H7. I have never encountered any of the problems described above by downloading the app through the Play Market. Everything connects smartly and without any problems. SD card or Bluetooth. You want too much. This is not a player. This is a DAC with the function of playing from an sd card with awesome sound for an affordable price. Yes, there are some features in the operation of the player on a smartphone. But there is nothing critical. Everything works fine. I tried to break the Eddict player, but it didn't work out. Search usind SD card by artists, folders, music styles and tracks, everything is quite well implemented now. You can use it. We are looking forward to updates.
So there is a folder search option on the App when you use the H7 with micro SD?
I love the Shanlings sound- def my favourite among all companies but the software not so.
Im hoping they will add folder search option from the H7 device level. Then i will buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back