Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #421 of 1,116
I tried the updated Eddict Player app on my S22 Ultra.

Much improved form previous version, mainly in regards to stability. I've had no crashes on the update and now connects every time with no issue. However album art is not really working for me. But I'm not really concenred about this as I'm not going to be staring at album art.

What I like about the SD card function is that with most modern smartphones no longer having a SD card slot it means you can still control music from the phone but are less limited by memory. For me this means that I can stream to H7 from my phone for Qobuz and Amazon Music but download all my purchased music in lossless from Bandcamp to the SD card on the H7 with no concern about phone's internal memory.

It's a really good feature and adds a little to the overall appeal and functionalty of the H7

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #422 of 1,116
I tried the updated Eddict Player app on my S22 Ultra.

Much improved form previous version, mainly in regards to stability. I've had no crashes on the update and now connects every time with no issue. However album art is not really working for me. But I'm not really concenred about this as I'm not going to be staring at album art.

What I like about the SD card function is that with most modern smartphones no longer having a SD card slot it means you can still control music from the phone but are less limited by memory. For me this means that I can stream to H7 from my phone for Qobuz and Amazon Music but download all my purchased music in lossless from Bandcamp to the SD card on the H7 with no concern about phone's internal memory.

It's a really good feature and adds a little to the overall appeal and functionalty of the H7
Nice but how do you set the H7 as the storage option in Qobuz?

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #423 of 1,116
Nice but how do you set the H7 as the storage option in Qobuz?

I don't.

What I meant was that I can stream using Qobuz and store music on the SD card from Bandcamp. I'm lucky in regards to being able to stream with no network issues where I live

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #426 of 1,116
Has anyone directly compared (A/B Testing) the H7 to the Gryphon? @McCol 's write up was the first review H7 review I've read. I'm just wondering how much brighter is the H7 in comparison to the Gryphon? Or is the Gryphon really the way forward if you're looking for a warm sounding device that compliments the IEMs in my signature??

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #427 of 1,116
Has anyone directly compared (A/B Testing) the H7 to the Gryphon? @McCol 's write up was the first review H7 review I've read. I'm just wondering how much brighter is the H7 in comparison to the Gryphon? Or is the Gryphon really the way forward if you're looking for a warm sounding device that compliments the IEMs in my signature??
Although I wasn't able to directly compare I do keep some good notes and had compared the Gryphon to my N8ii.

To my ears and for my tastes I'd say the H7 is more detailed, I wouldn't necessarily says it was a big night and day difference between the 2 when it comes to warmth, Gryphon slightly warmer but the H7 to me is more detailed with an overall bigger soundstage

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #428 of 1,116
I'm also in same dilemma, which one to buy Gryphon or H7. I'm upgrading all my gears so being extra careful 😃. Apologies if I'm bringing too much of Gryphon discussion in H7 thread. H7 seems to be a great product but Gryphon being much cheaper, I'm trying to see which one is better for the cost paid. All observation are from the reviews and 30min demo with Gryphon.

H7
1. approx $400 more costly and heavier.
2. Heavier then Gryphon.
3. Doesn't have xbass , xspace kind of feature.
4. It is less warmer and more bright (my liking is more warmer and bright as in Gryphon, but H7 seems to have better staging which is a good thing)

Gryphone
1. Has battery deep discharge problem but ifi may fix it in future software update.
2. Has hiss with sensitive IEMs. I'm trying to find out if it hisses too much with indigo & Mest MK2 or not.
3. Has lesser output power and lower battery backup than h7

Other than that I think Gryphon is as good as H7 in all aspects but less costly. To be precise, two issues with Gryphon based on reviews which I'm worried are, battery issue due to two different capacity internal batteries and the hiss with sensitive IEMs. I plan to use DAC with Indigo, Mest MK2, and Arya Stealth.

Will it hiss with Arya stealth as well with 4.4mm? All members: your suggestions will really help here

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #429 of 1,116
I'm also in same dilemma, which one to buy Gryphon or H7. I'm upgrading all my gears so being extra careful 😃. Apologies if I'm bringing too much of Gryphon discussion in H7 thread. H7 seems to be a great product but Gryphon being much cheaper, I'm trying to see which one is better for the cost paid. All observation are from the reviews and 30min demo with Gryphon.

Other than that I think Gryphon is as good as H7 in all aspects but less costly. To be precise, two issues with Gryphon based on reviews which I'm worried are, battery issue due to two different capacity internal batteries and the hiss with sensitive IEMs. I plan to use DAC with Indigo, Mest MK2, and Arya Stealth.
I'm on the same boat choosing between the Gryphon and H7. What made me choose the H7 is the user-replaceable 18650 battery. I had good luck replacing the ifi Nano battery some time back. But the Gryphon's battery might be a real challenge.

H7 is a long term engagement.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #430 of 1,116

H7
1. approx $400 more costly and heavier.
2. Heavier then Gryphon.
3. Doesn't have xbass , xspace kind of feature.
4. It is less warmer and more bright (my liking is more warmer and bright as in Gryphon, but H7 seems to have better staging which is a good thing)

Gryphone
1. Has battery deep discharge problem but ifi may fix it in future software update.
2. Has hiss with sensitive IEMs. I'm trying to find out if it hisses too much with indigo & Mest MK2 or not.
3. Has lesser output power and lower battery backup than h7

Will it hiss with Arya stealth as well with 4.4mm? All members: your suggestions will really help here
It is a tough choice because the Gryphon is an absolute cracker if a device that does everything really well. It is lighter, it has more features to adjust sound such as the xbass etc however based on sound quality I would take the H7.

The brightness aspect needs a bit of clarification, the H7 in my opinion is not overly bright or make recordings sound shrill or piercing, it just has better treble extension giving it more detail than the Gryphon

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #431 of 1,116
It is a tough choice because the Gryphon is an absolute cracker if a device that does everything really well. It is lighter, it has more features to adjust sound such as the xbass etc however based on sound quality I would take the H7.

The brightness aspect needs a bit of clarification, the H7 in my opinion is not overly bright or make recordings sound shrill or piercing, it just has better treble extension giving it more detail than the Gryphon
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying on the bright part. If it is not overly bright then I think H7 would be a real competition to Gryphon even with higher cost, as it seems to have better staging as well and with onboard card storage and easily replaceable battery.

But I would like to mention that ifi provides lifetime (as they say) support for battery replacement and there are some local vendors, they have tie up for battery replacement it seems in most of the countries. So it may be ok as well, but please check once in your area.

Also, as I do not have a desktop DAC, I plan to buy one to supplement Gryphon for headphones when at home, with the extra money saved with buying Gryphon instead of H7. Well, that is my thought at the moment.

Can somebody please let know if there is hiss while using headphones with Gryphon specially with planers like Arya stealth. My reasoning is, I'm ok to use iematch in Gryphon with IEMs or using IEMs with 3.5mm output as IEMs will have enough power from Gryphon in both the cases. But if I have to use iematch with headphones as well then I suppose it would have less power left for headphones with iematch on even with 4.4mm.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #432 of 1,116
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying on the bright part. If it is not overly bright then I think H7 would be a real competition to Gryphon even with higher cost, as it seems to have better staging as well and with onboard card storage and easily replaceable battery.

But I would like to mention that ifi provides lifetime (as they say) support for battery replacement and there are some local vendors, they have tie up for battery replacement it seems in most of the countries. So it may be ok as well, but please check once in your area.

Also, as I do not have a desktop DAC, I plan to buy one to supplement Gryphon for headphones when at home, with the extra money saved with buying Gryphon instead of H7. Well, that is my thought at the moment.

Can somebody please let know if there is hiss while using headphones with Gryphon specially with planers like Arya stealth. My reasoning is, I'm ok to use iematch in Gryphon with IEMs or using IEMs with 3.5mm output as IEMs will have enough power from Gryphon in both the cases. But if I have to use iematch with headphones as well then I suppose it would have less power left for headphones with iematch on even with 4.4mm.
I don't ever think I've heard a Planar Magnetic headphone that hissed. I've used my Ayra Stealth with a lot of different sources and never experienced hissing. Should I purchase one of these devices before you, I'll let you know if your concerns were valid.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #433 of 1,116
I don't ever think I've heard a Planar Magnetic headphone that hissed. I've used my Ayra Stealth with a lot of different sources and never experienced hissing. Should I purchase one of these devices before you, I'll let you know if your concerns were valid.
Sure, thanks a lot. I was also hoping so, that Arya stealth will not have any hissing issue with Gryphon on 4.4mm. And IEMs can be used on 3.5mm as 3.5mm has less hissing on Gryphon but with a little as technicalities like less stage etc. But in most cases 4.4mm with iematch to avoid hissing should be ok with Gryphon for portable use.

Jan 14, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #435 of 1,116
Has anyone got both Gryphon and H7? Would love to visualise how much bigger H7 is. I know its massive but i want to relate it to something
The size of the unit is much the same however the H7 is thicker/taller, prob 50% from memory
Like a half deck of cards next to a full deck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back