Shanling H7 - High-End Portable DAC/AMP/Player, Featuring new AKM AK4499EX Flagship DAC
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #346 of 1,120
Dunno but from what I am reading between the lines, "more neutral (but not clinical) than M9" doesn't sound like the meaty, warm and velvet signature of M8 to me.
Doesn't need to be bad but it's more going for M7 direction maybe which is reflected also by the same model number?
I kinda think the same as you. I'll stay with the M8 because I like this full, natural sound so much, above all it doesn't have the highs that are emphasized like many other DAPs. By that I also mean the M7, which sounds way too bright for my ears. I don't like that very much. While Shanling says the H7 sounds very different. But certainly not as awesome as the M8. I'll wait for the next Shanling DAP.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #347 of 1,120
I kinda think the same as you. I'll stay with the M8 because I like this full, natural sound so much, above all it doesn't have the highs that are emphasized like many other DAPs. By that I also mean the M7, which sounds way too bright for my ears. I don't like that very much. While Shanling says the H7 sounds very different. But certainly not as awesome as the M8. I'll wait for the next Shanling DAP.
I think even Shanling can't replicate M8's sound signature in any other DAP/portable DACAMP it seems. May be M6 Ultra? M7 was neutral-bright. If H7 is anything like M7, I'm not sure if I buy H7 at all. Not because it's bad but for me it's bright and fatiguing.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #348 of 1,120
I think even Shanling can't replicate M8's sound signature in any other DAP/portable DACAMP it seems. May be M6 Ultra? M7 was neutral-bright. If H7 is anything like M7, I'm not sure if I buy H7 at all. Not because it's bad but for me it's bright and fatiguing.
No, I certainly didn't want to say that the M 7 is bad. But you have to like the sound. I do not like him. As you said, it's very tiring. I don't think Shanling will ever release a player that has such a great sound as the M8. Which sounds somehow annoying and tiring, especially in any frequency range. The sound of the M8 is perfect for me. 😍😍😍

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #349 of 1,120
From my listening the H7 is certainly not bright and fatiguing

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #351 of 1,120
I purchased a unit from Musicteck, and have spent about 10 hours with it so far. I have some... mixed thoughts.

I purchase this unit in an attempt to create a quality transportable setup that mimics my home desktop setup (SMSL D400EX + Cayin IHA-6). I have a Cayin C9 which I /adore/, but I've struggled to find a good portable DAC to pair it with.

Before I dig in too deep, I will say that as an iFi Gryphon fan, this is definitely a fantastic competitor for anything you'd look at the Gryphon for -- it's less warm, more detailed, but also substantially larger. The MicroSD card slot is a really nice feature addition. If you don't need the Gryphon's smaller size, or dislike ifi's signature warmth, the H7 is like a really great option for you.

However, do not use it as a DAC. The amp inside the H7 is /very/ well paired with the DAC circuit, as none of the issues I run into using external amps are noticeable when using the H7 on its own. However as soon as you use those RCA jacks on the back, everything falls apart. Stage is narrow, separation is in the tank, all the tasty native dynamics are gone. I compared directly to the SMSL D400EX, which is my favorite DAC of all time at this point, using SE outputs to both the Cayin IHA-6 and Cayin C9, as well as a few vintage and modern class D speaker amps. I listened with a number of IEMs (Empire Ears Legend Evo, 64audio N8, Noble Audio Kublai Khan) and planar headphones (Hifiman Susvara, Hifiman HE1000v1, Final D8000 Pro Collector's Edition). These issues were easily heard across all amps and transducers. D400EX is exciting, dynamic, detailed. The H7 is a mess.

So I have to give this unit a 3/5. I was really hoping for more, as I am /adoring/ the SMSL implementation of AK4499EX -- but sadly, this just isn't it.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #352 of 1,120
I purchased a unit from Musicteck, and have spent about 10 hours with it so far. I have some... mixed thoughts.

I purchase this unit in an attempt to create a quality transportable setup that mimics my home desktop setup (SMSL D400EX + Cayin IHA-6). I have a Cayin C9 which I /adore/, but I've struggled to find a good portable DAC to pair it with.

Before I dig in too deep, I will say that as an iFi Gryphon fan, this is definitely a fantastic competitor for anything you'd look at the Gryphon for -- it's less warm, more detailed, but also substantially larger. The MicroSD card slot is a really nice feature addition. If you don't need the Gryphon's smaller size, or dislike ifi's signature warmth, the H7 is like a really great option for you.

However, do not use it as a DAC. The amp inside the H7 is /very/ well paired with the DAC circuit, as none of the issues I run into using external amps are noticeable when using the H7 on its own. However as soon as you use those RCA jacks on the back, everything falls apart. Stage is narrow, separation is in the tank, all the tasty native dynamics are gone. I compared directly to the SMSL D400EX, which is my favorite DAC of all time at this point, using SE outputs to both the Cayin IHA-6 and Cayin C9, as well as a few vintage and modern class D speaker amps. I listened with a number of IEMs (Empire Ears Legend Evo, 64audio N8, Noble Audio Kublai Khan) and planar headphones (Hifiman Susvara, Hifiman HE1000v1, Final D8000 Pro Collector's Edition). These issues were easily heard across all amps and transducers. D400EX is exciting, dynamic, detailed. The H7 is a mess.

So I have to give this unit a 3/5. I was really hoping for more, as I am /adoring/ the SMSL implementation of AK4499EX -- but sadly, this just isn't it.
Probably it isn’t meant to use as a standalone DAC. But as a portable dacamp on its own. But it’s good to know such weird performance. Probably there will be a fix for your issue.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #354 of 1,120
Seems silly to explicitly build in RCA outputs if you arent meant to use them :wink:
Yup. Most probably be an afterthought. Half baked add on decided at the last minute.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #355 of 1,120
Somehow everything reads as if Shanling wanted to bring something new onto the market with all his might. Just before Christmas with the very latest AKM flagship chip. Somehow not really thought through. Be it the software, app and hardware as you can now see on the RCA outputs. Of course, that's just my opinion and not meant in a bad way. But that's how it seems to me. Maybe better to wait for the next model 😉😉😂😂😂

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #357 of 1,120
I was depressed when I heard that the RCA output was poor because there were many comparisons with the M8 before it arrived.
Yes I think M 8 is the best player Shanling has ever released. At least from the sound.
If you can get a good used one, you should definitely buy it. My humble opinion. Personally, I see the M8 ahead of the M9. Of course it's a matter of taste.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #359 of 1,120

Soliciting more impressions on the H7's line out. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back