Shanling H3 & H3A Portable Hi-Res DAC/AMP with APT-X Bluetooth (ES9018K2M, OPA2134, TPA6120A2)
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #31 of 49
If the page loads in Mandarin, you just need to change it to English in the upper right corner. Then scroll to the bottom of the H3 description, and you'll see a downloads tab. Click on that, and you'll see a choice for USB Driver. Click on that, and you'll get a pop-up. Click the green button to download the driver.

Shanling: Please make sure the page automatically loads in English for Westerners and also make sure the Download pop-up has English text when English is chosen for the website. Also, is H3A the same as H?

H3A is on Mass drop right now: LINK.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 49
Hmm, no go on drivers for the H3 (I downloaded H3a? there's no H3)
Can't get the M2 to work either

M3 seems to be working though...

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #34 of 49
The H3 doesn't recognize via usb (not even a failure to load drivers; it doesn't even register when I plug it in except to charge... and yes I'm using a proper cable), so I can only use it in bluetooth mode right now. Haven't tried as a standalone amp yet.

The M2 fails to recognize but at least the computer makes the effort.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 49
Just to be sure, you've switched it to USB mode?

Yep. I had a duh moment when I realized I was using a charging cable instead of a data cable, but switching to a proper one didn't make a difference. Tried a couple variants of having it on/off when plugging in, flipping the switch while plugged in, reinstalled the driver, etc. Nothing works so far.

Hmm I can't get the M3 to work as a dac either, but at least it shows up as storage (both internal and SD card). Boy I'm just having no luck with these.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #38 of 49
Is anyone else here having problems with their Shanling H3 / H3A getting very hot during use?

I recently bought a H3A for use with my smartphone via aptX and love pretty much everything about it, except for the amount of heat it dissipates. I planned to carry it tucked into my pants pocket while on the go, but after 30 minutes or so, it gets uncomfortably warm. I did a test letting it play for 3 hours in my backpack, after which it had gotten almost too hot to touch.

I wonder if this is by design, or did I receive a faulty unit?

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 49
  Is anyone else here having problems with their Shanling H3 / H3A getting very hot during use?

I recently bought a H3A for use with my smartphone via aptX and love pretty much everything about it, except for the amount of heat it dissipates. I planned to carry it tucked into my pants pocket while on the go, but after 30 minutes or so, it gets uncomfortably warm. I did a test letting it play for 3 hours in my backpack, after which it had gotten almost too hot to touch.

I wonder if this is by design, or did I receive a faulty unit?

I have an H3 and it's got the same issue. It gets far too hot to keep in your pocket.

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #40 of 49
  I have an H3 and it's got the same issue. It gets far too hot to keep in your pocket.

Thanks for your reply! I wonder whether it's a general issue, since the form factor would suggest that it can be carried like a smartphone in your pocket. And the reviews I read didn't mention a heat issue.
Did you contact Shanling in that matter?

It's a great portable DAC/Amp, but somewhat compromised imo, if you can't carry it safely in a pocket or bag.

Also, is H3A the same as H?

It's a revised version, the bottom part of the housing has been changed to plastic for better bluetooth reception. There may be other changes too, but that's the one that caught my eye.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #41 of 49
Can the headphone socket in high gain mode drive a preamp or power amp directly? Seems a nice device but my home DAC is a 2004 model and possibly becoming unreliable. Whatever I get needs to drive both headphones and the home hifi.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #43 of 49
I broke out the H3 tonight to try it out with Shanling's M1 DAP. They can pair via USB or Bluetooth, so you can go wireless if you want. Unlike pairing with Mojo, you can control volume on the M1 and the H3 so you can really fine tune the volume. Also unlike the Mojo, the H3 provides a more energetic listen.

Anyone else here using an H3? If so, chime in. Hisoundfi? How about you, buddy?

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #44 of 49
I've busted this little bad boy out and am having fun listening to the new TFZ B2M IEM from my MacBook Pro via a Bluetooth connection. It's really nice to have the option to go wireless for convenience or wired if you want to eke out all the audio goodness your files have to offer.

I totally forgot to update the thread with info about the updated H3A. While I haven't heard it myself, it has the same chips as the original so it should sound the same. As mentioned a few posts up, it has been optimized for improved Bluetooth connectivity, and the micro USB connector has been repositioned for easier connection to a smartphone or DAP with USB Out like the Shanling M1.

I just peeked around, and the H3A is on sale right now for just under $200 at LMUE so head on over there if you're interested. It's a good deal at that price IMHO. LINK

Here's some info on the H3A.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #45 of 49
Anyone else here using an H3? If so, chime in. @Hisoundfi? How about you, buddy?

I still use my H3A from time to time, but mostly stationary. Imo, it's rather inconvenient for mobile use, since it gets too hot to carry it in a pocket. And bluetooth-connection, though improved over the H3, is still kinda shaky.

My $50 Elecom LBT-PAR500 is a far more practical and reliable wireless dac/amp for mobile use, and the difference in SQ is negligible when you're out and about.

For indoor use, I still think it's a recommendable dac/amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back