Shanling CD-T80.. problems
Jul 14, 2007 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

si_free

New Head-Fier
I have a Shanling cd-T80 that I have been very pleased with for the money. The problem I have is that the remote control has died on me leaving the volume stuck at setting 25 & there is no way of adjusting the volume without the remote control!! I have been quoted $200 for a replacement remote which is a lot of cash for a remote that I would hardly ever use!

Does anybody know if there is a code that can be put into a 'universal remote' to rectify my problem? On some of the higher priced Shanling CDP I have read that bypassing the Volume control chip is a worthwhile mod, this might be a solution that improves the sound quality as well as restoring my volume to full -has anybody tried this with the CD T-80?

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 19
Have you tried opening the remote control?

Shanling's remotes look nice from the outside but do not have the same built quality then the rest of their products.

The remote of my STP-80 did not work at first. After opening it up I noticed that some of the screws which hold the pcb board got loose. It took some testing before everything worked again. The remote did not operate when the screws were too thight or too loose.

Jul 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by si_free /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been quoted $200 for a replacement remote which is a lot of cash for a remote that I would hardly ever use!

That is one heck of a rip off price!!! If I were you I would email them and ask why a U$10 or less item is suddenly sold at U$200.
You could try a OneForAll URC that also has the Audio/Video codes. If you use the code search feature you might be lucky. Also look on http://www.remotecentral.com to see if your CD player has a CCF file there. Then if you have a PDA you could get your PDA to operate as a remote.

By the way, I designed several commercial universal remote controls and a couple of hundreds replacement remote controls in my previous job. So I know they are ripping you off big time with that price.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 19
I have taken the remote apart trying to see if anything was obviously wrong, I even tried to use the pcb without the case to no avail. I will try it again with the screws at varying tightness- just in case.

I have an old 'oneforall' remote that I tried. This old remote involves about an hour of pressing buttons to scroll through all the possible codes that it includes, I had no luck. Are the new models of this remote easier to use in this situation and would they have more codes included than my old one? I have searched on several sites including remotecentral.com to find any codes for Shanling, again nothing.

I have tried playing with the players buttons to see if there was any buttion combination to reset the volume - stop and >> together switches the upsampling.

Soundlabsgroup are big importers of Shanling gear in Australia and that's who I contacted for a replacement remote, they quoted the ripoff $200.

I have just contacted Shanling direct, maybe they have a solution?

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 19
Have you got a friend who has an oscilloscope? If you do, send me a PM at least and I'll give you some instructions on how to test the handset. It could be the transmitting LED that is dead. If you got a digital camera, I would appreciate a pic of the component side of the PCB.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 19
No I don't know anybody with an oscilloscope I'm afraid. I tried taking some digital pics of the board but my camera does not have macro and they were out of focus. I will try and borrow a better camera.

Another thought I had....If I used a cheap chinese DAC (eg. Zhaolu 2.5) I presume that I would bypass the volume chip using the optical out? That would then restore my volume to full and hopefully improve the sonics? Has anybody tried the Zhaolu with the shanling?

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 19
I don't know anything about this particular player, but it's possible that if it has an internal volume control, it might also control the volume of the digital outputs. You might want to try the digital input of a cheap DAC or sound card first.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 19
I hope to see the pics you take. But get on to Shanlin as well and point them to this thread. I don't think it will do their sales much good if it costs U$200 for a replacement handset! I have had loads of luck with making manufacturers realize how bad it is for their image when customers are left high and dry after they have purchased something from them.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 19
Well I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Shanling direct -

"Sorry there no such function to restore the default settings"....

"Sorry we don't sell the single pcb to customer, if you want to buy a brand new remote control from the factory, the best cost price is USD100 including the air freight for door to door delivery."

Well thats a lot cheaper than Soundlabsgroup quoted me, but still very expensive. Especially when I am happy to throw away the remote once the volume is back to full - I have no confidence in the build quality of the remote anymore and would not consider using the volume option again! Well they do appear to be sorry for my dilema it's just a shame that there is no way to reset the default on the player.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 19
Have you considered asking on this board and any other boards if anyone living close to you can pass by with their remote and help you out?

I have mentioned before that customer service is an important issue. Raving about how good a piece of equipment sounds can soon turn to anger when the manufacturer leaves you high and dry or tries to fleece you for even more money.

Just take those pics of the PCB for me.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 19
You can also purchase a universal memory remote control.

If you cannot figure out how to program the universal remote, you can have your memory remote "record" the codes from a Shanling remote onto your memory remote

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also purchase a universal memory remote control.

If you cannot figure out how to program the universal remote, you can have your memory remote "record" the codes from a Shanling remote onto your memory remote

His original handset is kaput. I am hoping that the IC they used might be one I recognise and can cross reference. A OFA URC with audio codes is the one possibility to try.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back