Shanling CD T100 CD player
Jul 2, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #17 of 24
The tube issue is a big one. Immediately replace the tubes, most definitely. The reason they won't put in better tubes is because the cost goes up dramatically and most don't want to pay that. Instead they would rather hunt down the tubes themselves. My local dealer will sell the Shanling units then as the person is auditioning, will indicate that the tubes in the player are not stock that they are GE's or WE's and that they are a must...if they don't believe it, he'll play the stock tubes for them. Most walk away with at least a set of GE's (nice warm sounding tube in these units, a bit plump in the bass region but a very relaxing sound).

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Zaneth:
What modifications were done to your unit?

Here is a thread detailing what my player has gone through.

My first level of modifications were some small changes in resistors as well as the T200 transport installed by Shanling.

The next phase was the disconnection of the headphone section and having the transformers rewired to the tube output to provide an easier load for the unit as well as some bypassing of some cheaper parts and using Hovland signal caps.

I then sent the unit to Parts Connexion for their Level 3 modification but it was a modified version since I had so much done to my unit already. So sound dampening, swapping in of 627 opamps, black gates everywhere they could go, new rca jacks and a new clock as well as new wiring and resistors everywhere.

I had asked about the Zapfilter (discrete output stage) and the idea of disconnecting the digital volume control and installing a DACT stepped attenuator instead. I was told that installing the Zapfilter thereby bypassing the entire output stage of the Shanling (which I did know) would have the unit sounding like a Zapfilter, not a Shanling anymore which defeated the entire point of me owning this thing, particularly with the tube buffer stage.

The installation of the DACT would have just been something to go all out on and I was told that it would not provide much if any of an improvement over the digital volume control and certainly not enough to justify the 500 it would cost for this part of the mod alone.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 24
Hello Zanth,

The link you give doesn't seem to refer to the right post.

I just bought a second-hand T200 and was looking for details on tweaking (easy ones). Can you provide me with more details/explanations? Mostly how to proceed with the tweak that unplugs the power to the headphone amp?
Is it worth changing the 2604 OPA, maybe with gd-audio discrete models?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a thread detailing what my player has gone through.

My first level of modifications were some small changes in resistors as well as the T200 transport installed by Shanling.

The next phase was the disconnection of the headphone section and having the transformers rewired to the tube output to provide an easier load for the unit as well as some bypassing of some cheaper parts and using Hovland signal caps.

I then sent the unit to Parts Connexion for their Level 3 modification but it was a modified version since I had so much done to my unit already. So sound dampening, swapping in of 627 opamps, black gates everywhere they could go, new rca jacks and a new clock as well as new wiring and resistors everywhere.

I had asked about the Zapfilter (discrete output stage) and the idea of disconnecting the digital volume control and installing a DACT stepped attenuator instead. I was told that installing the Zapfilter thereby bypassing the entire output stage of the Shanling (which I did know) would have the unit sounding like a Zapfilter, not a Shanling anymore which defeated the entire point of me owning this thing, particularly with the tube buffer stage.

The installation of the DACT would have just been something to go all out on and I was told that it would not provide much if any of an improvement over the digital volume control and certainly not enough to justify the 500 it would cost for this part of the mod alone.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guilders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Zanth,

The link you give doesn't seem to refer to the right post.

I just bought a second-hand T200 and was looking for details on tweaking (easy ones). Can you provide me with more details/explanations? Mostly how to proceed with the tweak that unplugs the power to the headphone amp?
Is it worth changing the 2604 OPA, maybe with gd-audio discrete models?

Thanks.

Well, this is a very old thread you know, and things went wrong with all the links in some or other server mishap somewhere in 2007.

Anyways, I think he means this review.

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 24
Thanks, in fact I already found that post.
But I thought I could get more detail, like how to disconnected the power from the headphones output and connect it to the tube output? Do you know of some place the tweaks are explained with pictures?

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guilders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, in fact I already found that post.
But I thought I could get more detail, like how to disconnected the power from the headphones output and connect it to the tube output? Do you know of some place the tweaks are explained with pictures?

No, afraid not. But you could try to PM Zanth. Or ask in the DIY forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back