Shanling CD T100 CD player
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering, is it worth to go for it this days. Have found one like 1.5 years old. This unit was like USD 2000 new, 2 years back. Do you think it is worth paying like EUR 600 for it now. Or just stay away and go with modern types, for that kind of money I mean. How much is it worth to go for anyway?

Have found this thread, but it is like 2 years old

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t=Shanling+100

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 24
I guess the question if whether the player is better than Apollo (the modern day benchmark for entry level CDP)

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 24
Well, up here in EU, Shanling cost +/- EUR 2500. Crazy, if you ask me. Not sure about Apollo, but I believe it is like EUR 950 or something. Have seen one for EUR 650. Not sure of it is occasion / used one.
I am a bit lost in the sense, do I have to upgrade my source or my amp. Just received my K1 and its sounds pretty good with my Pioneer receiver. So though, maybe it is the time for CDP upgrade

THX
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the question if whether the player is better than Apollo (the modern day benchmark for entry level CDP)

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 24
Haha, I was eyeing that one myself aswell.
wink.gif

I'll let you have it if you want it, can't afford it anyways at this stage. Nor do I feel like parting with my current source.

Ornec.com, a grey chinese importer, is selling them at €1050 new, plus shipping. Might be something to keep in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 24
I know that one, ORNEC. They sell Grado and a lot of other stuff as well, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I was eyeing that one myself aswell.
wink.gif

I'll let you have it if you want it, can't afford it anyways at this stage. Nor do I feel like parting with my current source.

Ornec.com, a grey chinese importer, is selling them at €1050 new, plus shipping. Might be something to keep in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 24
Hmmm, will be great to hear some
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I think Wmcmanus has one. Maybe he could pop in here and offer his verdict.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 24
I still have mine and won't be parting with it. I won't be going with another disc player ever. If this one dies, I'm going to be moving to a server + highend DAC.

Wayne does have 3 Shanlings. He has the CD T100, the T200 and the T300. This guy has a lot of gear, a lot of pricey gear. Obviously they have to sound good enough if he keeps buying them! I think 1 of his is modded (maybe the T100?) but not sure on that.

My review pretty well sums up my feelings and given that mine is very heavily modified, it is hard to say that it is the same player really. Save for the outsides...one can't really call it a CD T100 anymore.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 24
I realize this is an old thread, but oh well.

I have the Shanling CD T100. I don't use the headphone stage, only the analog output into my Rotel Amp.

This is easily the best CDP I've personally owned and one of the best I've ever heard. As great as the tube stage out is, I prefer the SS output. It is really an excellent SS CDP. The way I have my system set up currently is the first time I've not had any tubes in the signal pathway and I am really enjoying it.

Besides the obvious great looks, I think this CDP is a steal for the price. It likely won't be replaced or removed for a long time, and if and when it does, there is a good chance another different Shanling will be taking its place.

The source prior to the T100 was a combo of a Parasound D/AC and a CEC 3300 CDP. While that was excellent, I could tell there was more potential out there in a source. The Shanling bested that combo in every way. Most noticeably, the soundstage, imagining, layering and articulation of my music VASTLY improved with the introduction of the Shanling. Much of the bass notes had a much more defined, structured characteristic or flavor to them. I really enjoy the amount of detail I get from the bass now.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 24
Have you tried much tube rolling? Are you able to test out any Bendix Redbank 6385s?

The ss is very good no doubt, disconnecting the headphone amp makes a nice improvement as well.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 24
I'll have to try the disconnection. I haven't even heard about that. Can you direct me to a site that details how to do it?

I have not tried the Bendix tubes yet. I have some tubes waiting in line to be rolled up, but I'm just having too much fun listening to the SS.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'm just having too much fun listening to the SS.

Of course. The Shanling "tube stage" is nothing more than the "solid state stage" plus a tube tacked on at the end.

And the solid state stage itself is nothing more than an op-amp output stage (2604).

IMO, what needs to be done is to gut out the op-amp stage and put a real discrete output stage in it, SS or tube... Same goes for T200 series.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 24
The problem with going discreet is that the sound of the unit will fundamentally change. It won't be a shanling anymore but a zapfilter or whatever one launches in there. All fine and dandy, just try to A/B before going that route. I had that chance thankfully and I opted for my set of mods instead.

The only person I know that does the modification for the disconnection of the headamp stage and rewiring for extra power to the tube output stage is North Audio (http://www.northaudio.com/)

He's a genius, but he has very little bed-side manner as it were. He's got his opinions and his must be yours (or so it was when I dealt with him).

That said, he knows his stuff, his handmade gear is incredible but very pricey for me. His mods though...stellar. The reason I even found out about his modification was because a local high-end dealer had this done to his T-100. This guy is rich, has 500k worth of gear in his house (over 3 systems at least) and yet still uses this as his redbook player (of course he has a few SACD players and 30 tt's I think it was at one point
biggrin.gif
)

Anyhow, the modification is reversible which is the key here, just in case one ever wanted to sell it and the buyer was a bit reluctant on that mod. But the extra power and resolution is well worth it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 24
I found this someplace. It is intended for the T-200 but should be similar to the T-100.

Quote:

Open the bottom plate, remove the cable plug that lead from the DAC board to the tube board, you will experience a major upgrade of the sound. From the solid state output only, of course. This tweak is reversable, so you will not loose anything by trying this.

The other thing you can do is remove the bottom cover that is in the middle section of the digital drive, and also do not put the main bottom cover back. This will relieve all the RFI that had been bottle up inside the chassis and will give you another boost of performance.

Finally if you have your own pre-amp and do not need the volume control of the Shanling, unplug the direct out cable from the DAC board, and plug it into the the empty socket on the left side (looking from outside the upside down CD player) that marked 'Front Out'. This will not only bypass the volume control, but also some very bad electrolytic capacitor. Another reversable tweak with the highest level of sound improvement.

Although I have no Shanling source (I am still waiting for a T-200 for a fair price) I own the SP-80 tube amp. Changing the tubes is almost a must since the original Shanling tubes are total crap. Bass improves and gets tighter, the very harsh highs are smooth after the rolling. I know from a German dealer who sells Shanling products that a lotof people tried to convince the Shanling people to use good tubes from the start, sadly to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back