Shadow Impressions
Nov 7, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #122 of 223
So basically shadow is a smaller mustang? I thought Mustang has a high gain for high impedance headphones and shadow is made for low impedance ones and IEMs...

I can see the trend lol.. I remember when Mustang first came out people were so amazed by its tiny size...
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shadow is an amazing amp.

Like some people have mentioned, the sound signature is similar to the Mustang but it seems that the Shadow has the ability to render an even more precise picture of the audio spectrum.

Great job Ray !!

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #123 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically shadow is a smaller mustang? I thought Mustang has a high gain for high impedance headphones and shadow is made for low impedance ones and IEMs...

I can see the trend lol.. I remember when Mustang first came out people were so amazed by its tiny size...
redface.gif

The trend?
Oh, you mean people lining up to buy Ray's latest release, and enjoying the heck out of it? Yep - it's a trend, alright.

Shadow is not just a smaller Mustang - it improves SQ in terms of punch, detail, and air, with pitch black background / noise floor.

The Shadow's spring-loaded, digital volume rocker switch is great:
precise, repeatable and dead quiet.
(with fail safe reset to minimum volume, each time you power down & back up)

Mustang gain 3-way selectable:
1, 3, 11.

Shadow gain fixed at 3.

If Ray makes his next amp much smaller than the Shadow,
it could get lost in your pocket change.

If you haven't already, I suggest you give both of these great little amps a critical listen: I predict you'll like what you hear.

Ray Samuels is an analog circuit design genius, with a golden ear.
(and, one of the nicest gentlemen, you'll ever meet)

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #124 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The trend?
Oh, you mean people lining up to buy Ray's latest release, and enjoying the heck out of it? Yep - it's a trend, alright.

Shadow is not just a smaller Mustang - it improves SQ in terms of punch, detail, and air, with pitch black background / noise floor.

The Shadow's spring-loaded, digital volume rocker switch is great:
precise, repeatable and dead quiet.
(with fail safe reset to minimum volume, each time you power down & back up)

Mustang gain 3-way selectable:
1, 3, 11.

Shadow gain fixed at 3.

If Ray makes his next amp much smaller than the Shadow,
it could get lost in your pocket change.

If you haven't already, I suggest you give both of these great little amps a critical listen: I predict you'll like what you hear.

Ray Samuels is an analog circuit design genius, with a golden ear.
(and, one of the nicest gentlemen, you'll ever meet)

I agree 100% with you

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #125 of 223
While many new Shadow owners are desperately trying to get that first 100 hours of burn-in pumped through it (like I did), let me remind one & all:

Ray's amps typically keep getting better for another couple hundred hours.

Serial Number S0038 is passing 250 hours & still improving.

FWIW:
It might be psychosomatic, but it sure seems to me, that intermittently turning it off, for an hour or so, every day, helps - during burn-in.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #127 of 223
just got my shadow and i was shocked, completely shocked by how small this amp is! the pictures could not prepare me for it. its charging now and i can't wait to try my jh13 pros with them.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #131 of 223
Hey guys, this sounds neat but I did only just skim the thread, reading his site there is one minor concern that I have and would look in to if I had this amp wrt charging from USB. The wall charger outputs up to 1A, I dont know if the amp draws that much current from it, but USB ports are only rated for 500mA and properly designed USB devices will only pull <=500mA for this reason. I'd check with Ray and see how much power it draws when charging from USB. It's probably not a big deal if it pulls more but it's not technicaly correct for it to do so and does have the potential to damage the USB port circuitry however unlikely.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #132 of 223
I am listening to the Grateful Dead with the Shadow and the Ultrasone Ed. 9. What a GREAT combo. Powerful and beautiful swirling notes.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #133 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, this sounds neat but I did only just skim the thread, reading his site there is one minor concern that I have and would look in to if I had this amp wrt charging from USB. The wall charger outputs up to 1A, I dont know if the amp draws that much current from it, but USB ports are only rated for 500mA and properly designed USB devices will only pull <=500mA for this reason. I'd check with Ray and see how much power it draws when charging from USB. It's probably not a big deal if it pulls more but it's not technicaly correct for it to do so and does have the potential to damage the USB port circuitry however unlikely.

Please read my post regarding the charging from the computer on the Shadow thread. I have mentioned over there that the Shadow is designed not to draw that much current from the computer beyound the 500ma.
Ray Samuels

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #135 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please read my post regarding the charging from the computer on the Shadow thread. I have mentioned over there that the Shadow is designed not to draw that much current from the computer beyound the 500ma.
Ray Samuels

Sounds good. I wasn't trying to trash it or anything just something I thought of when reading about a 5V 1A wall charger and since I'm a bigger computer geek than audio geek (although that seems to be changing) I figured I'd point it out for the owners to research for the sake of their computers. I figured you'd have designed it right but it's always good to make sure!

btw a trick that some computer peripherals, in particular portable hard drives, use is to draw power from two ports. It sounds like this charged plenty fast anyway but it's something to consider for the future because USB 3.0 with higher current rating will take a while to get established.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back