SGI Octane2?
May 14, 2006 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

barkas

Head-Fier
I realize this is a bit exotic, and probably noone here has heard one, but ... maybe ...
smily_headphones1.gif

It uses a custom chip called RAD1, which has a headphone output, and supports AES/SPDIF and 8 channel ADAT.

Quote:

Audio hardware is standard; even without extensions they can support low-latency (3 ms input-to-output) audio streams. Alesis ADAT 8-channel, 24-bit optical ports are built-in, along with S/PDIF or AES/EBU optical and coaxial ports. This makes the Octane into a respectable digtal audio workstation.

I'm just curious since I have one here.

So, if anyone tested one, how would you rate a SGI Octane as source?

May 15, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 8
I've never used an Octane, but given the pain that is IRIX, I wouldnt' use one as a source just because I wouldnt' want to fight with the OS :p. There's man reasons SGI is bankrupt, IRIX is certianlly one of them.

May 15, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 8
Unless you're a unix nerd and just want to do this for the prestige of 'doing it', I'd consider my time too valueable to spend it struggling to get IRIX work as a good source for music. SGI workstations are far better suited to tasks other than music. The only thing I'd consider using it for related to music is as a web frontend to a squeezebox or simmilar device.

May 15, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you really forced to run IRIX? You could probably run a BSD on it.

May 15, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 8
You can run BSD or Linux on it. It can be a pain for application or driver support.

May 15, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Wow. Didn't think I'd see another SGI geek here. I've got an Indy and an Indigo 2. Like the other posters, I would not want to twiddle with sound under IRIX.

You can run Linux on the Octane and maybe get sound support. But it's a lot more practical to run Linux on an x86 and go that route. Yeah, the Octane is cool, but this might be more trouble than it's worth.

Love the vintage machines, though. In addition, I have a Sparc 20, a NeXT slab and a NeXT Cube (both 68040) and an assortment of old Macs. Great fun. If you want good vintage sound, take a look at the Mac Quadra 840AV- terrific sound chips and actually still useful for recording.

May 15, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Octane2 (Irix), Indigo2 (nothing atm, not much point with the Octane), Sun Netra X1 (gentoo linux) here
smily_headphones1.gif

Irix is not as bad as its reputation. I have it running and sound, too.

Now Linux or BSD, that would be bad
smily_headphones1.gif
. You can have FB console and sound with linux, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. I even have a second HD here for that purpose but can't bring myself to begin installing it. Point is I would have to netboot it and after my last Irix netbooting fun which cost me a whole day, I don't really want to repeat it.

May 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Who knows, maybe IRIX is less annoying on a workstation than on a supercomputer (the only place I've used it). Regardless if you are hell bent on using it, it sounds like the digital output is what they are pimping so get a standard DAC or an 8-channel ADAT DAC (Behringer makes them, among others). I'm betting the included headphone output is fairly low quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back