[SG] You're Invited to experience the Sound Blaster X7. Win attractive prizes!
Nov 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 61
I've read the full specs online at their website here: http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

Seems it has a lot more awesome features not mentioned here, such as anaologue to digital converter, SoundBlaster software to control the sound of this rig from your PC, and a 100watt speaker output option in addition to its headphone amp. Also it seems however that is sports a digital headphone amp, rather than anaologue. Some of my audiophile friends have expressed a preference to analogue headphone amps rather than digital... is an analogue amp really likely to produce sounds more organic and true to life, or is that all just hogwash? But many audiophiles also seem to like the compact digital usb soundcard type of headphone amps too.
you mean like tube amps? All personal preference as to what type of amp you like.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 61
This looks really interesting, but hyperbole marketing BS is over the top. Come on, 100W power amp? It's 50W into 4 ohms, and most people will have 8 ohm speakers, so closer to 25W peak. I mean I have a NAD D3020, so that level of power is perfectly adequate for a desktop system, but saying 100W is almost false advertising.

"CLASS-LEADING HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
To provide an outstanding headphone listening experience, a top-of-the-range Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier chip is used. Capable of driving high-end 600Ω headphones, the Sound Blaster X7 — together with its 127dB 24-bit 192kHz DAC — delivers powerful and pristine audio."

I think the marketeer that wrote the copy was smokin' something:

Biggest, unprecedented, kickass, baddest, finest, audiophile-grade, absolute best, best of the best, start of the art, superb audio quality, boldest, ultra premium, mind-blowing, stylish, Everest of audio, captivating, adrenaline-pumping, immersive, explosive, mellifluous, beyond pristine, ultra high fidelity, powerful, deeply stirring, comes alive, stunning details, smooth digital [oxymoron?], unadulterated [interesting comment since the previous paragraph on the page talked about all the DSP options]. [note, I had to stop reading at this point as the mind-blowing, ultra immersive, fully digital copy on the page was hurting my brain :)]

Also, I'm soo glad it can reproduce sounds up to 90kHz! Even though I can only hear to about 16 (17 on a good day), I don't want to miss out on the those extra kHz!

Also, to get 100W (50W x2 at 4 Ohm) you have to upgrade the power supply.

All that said, it's looks cool, and at ~$400USD (assuming SGD 499), seems like a good deal! I've only had my NAD D3020 for a few weeks, but it might be time to sidegrade once the reviews come in!

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 61
Wish there was a way for people who aren't in Singapore to pre-order an X7... I've been following it since it was rumored.
I do believe the site lists the output power into 8 ohm loads with the standard power supply. Speaking of, any idea if the power supply is internal or external?

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 61
Wish there was a way for people who aren't in Singapore to pre-order an X7... I've been following it since it was rumored.
I do believe the site lists the output power into 8 ohm loads with the standard power supply. Speaking of, any idea if the power supply is internal or external?

The power in is a DC lead in the gallery pics so it probably has an external brick.

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 61
  This looks really interesting, but hyperbole marketing BS is over the top. Come on, 100W power amp? It's 50W into 4 ohms, and most people will have 8 ohm speakers, so closer to 25W peak. I mean I have a NAD D3020, so that level of power is perfectly adequate for a desktop system, but saying 100W is almost false advertising.

"CLASS-LEADING HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
To provide an outstanding headphone listening experience, a top-of-the-range Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier chip is used. Capable of driving high-end 600Ω headphones, the Sound Blaster X7 — together with its 127dB 24-bit 192kHz DAC — delivers powerful and pristine audio."

Biggest, unprecedented, kickass, baddest, finest, audiophile-grade, absolute best, best of the best, start of the art, superb audio quality, boldest, ultra premium, mind-blowing, stylish, Everest of audio, captivating, adrenaline-pumping, immersive, explosive, mellifluous, beyond pristine, ultra high fidelity, powerful, deeply stirring, comes alive, stunning details, smooth digital [oxymoron?], unadulterated [interesting comment since the previous paragraph on the page talked about all the DSP options]. [note, I had to stop reading at this point as the mind-blowing, ultra immersive, fully digital copy on the page was hurting my brain :)]

Also, I'm soo glad it can reproduce sounds up to 90kHz! Even though I can only hear to about 16 (17 on a good day), I don't want to miss out on the those extra kHz!

Also, to get 100W (50W x2 at 4 Ohm) you have to upgrade the power supply.

All that said, it's looks cool, and at ~$400USD (assuming SGD 499), seems like a good deal! I've only had my NAD D3020 for a few weeks, but it might be time to sidegrade once the reviews come in!

Why do people complain about marketing of certain products made by certain companies but don't complain when some guy in the basement makes a headphone amp and puts a 5000 dollar price on it? This is probably far better engineered and manufactured than a lot of much more expensive "audiophile" amps or DAC's.  Judging by my current experience with 1k dollar plus headphone amps and DAC's, and soundcards, I'd say this will be another giant killed like the Asus Essence One or STX is.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 61
Why do people complain about marketing of certain products made by certain companies but don't complain when some guy in the basement makes a headphone amp and puts a 5000 dollar price on it? This is probably far better engineered and manufactured than a lot of much more expensive "audiophile" amps or DAC's.  Judging by my current experience with 1k dollar plus headphone amps and DAC's, and soundcards, I'd say this will be another giant killed like the Asus Essence One or STX is.

You will notice that I don't have any of those 1000 amps!

My criticism is simply the dizzying nimber of adjectives that imply this new amp is the best thing since sliced bread. Compare the teac page for their new amp vs the creative labs page

http://www.teac.com/product/ai-101da/

The teac page is more about how it works and what you can do. To me, and this is just my opinion, the teac page is much more helpful.

It's all about selling product, so I guess each company will use what works.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 61
The power in is a DC lead in the gallery pics so it probably has an external brick.

Thaaat sounds like a good thing for audio :)
Also makes the PS upgrade super easy!

You will notice that I don't have any of those 1000 amps!

My criticism is simply the dizzying nimber of adjectives that imply this new amp is the best thing since sliced bread. Compare the teac page for their new amp vs the creative labs page.
http://www.teac.com/product/ai-101da/
The teac page is more about how it works and what you can do. To me, and this is just my opinion, the teac page is much more helpful.

It's all about selling product, so I guess each company will use what works.

Eh, creative could've basically just listed all the features and specs and I still would've been awestruck... A friend asked me "oh, x7, can you give me the TL;DR version?" And I realized how it was still pretty long just to list highlights! It does read a bit like someone pulled out the thesaurus, but an effort has to be made to describe what's special about it compared to cheaper stuff. It might also be great to describe a few typical gamer environments and point how particular features benefit the gamer in that environment, but there is a hint of that and it takes a while (like I said) to describe all the benefits.

Bluetooth connection to power two passive speakers...
Audio hub for environments where PC and console are beside eachother...
Host mode DAC for iPods, costs less than portable options from V-MODA and that other one last year which I could never justify the budget...
Environment where you could use the X7 to power rear speakers in a Bluetooth connection and avoid wires encircling the room completely...
Just simply elevating the audio of any source you can throw at it...

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #26 of 61

LOL! 
etysmile.gif

Thanks for compiling those words 
tongue.gif

Anyway, I think it is pretty good for the price.
Let's see... I have registered for the audition at SITEX. Hopefully it is mind-blowing kickass audiophile-grade DAC at rock-bottom price 
cool.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 61

Hey hykhleif, yes the Sound Blaster X7 will extract  digital audio from compatible Apple and Android smart devices via USB HOST port. However, the X7 doesn’t run on batteries.

Hey Sound Blaster,

why did you guys only implement AC3 input and not (additional) DTS support? When we can't get HDMI input (and with it PCM/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD) in 2014 we could have at least gotten DTS. Charge a bit more for your device, a few bucks don't matter. Why gimp that device with 640kbps multichannel in only. 

Yes, it matters. with much more available ram and storage space on PS4/Xbox One recordings will get  better as well, many were already very good on the previous generation. 

Since they don't support multichannel audio over USB we need the best possible input support via optical, and that is supporting DTS, not only AC3. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #28 of 61
DTS support would be amazing. It'd certainly be the last bit that's missing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back