SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!)
Aug 29, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 119
  The XD200s have big drivers and sound surprisingly accurate on simple things like that piano as long as the volume's kept low. They seem to disappear and it sounds like you're playing a real grand piano.

But listen to actual studio-recorded music with the volume cranked up and they start vibrating distortion like your spaceship's warp core is about to blow. They have their purpose, and that ain't it. :)

Well, let's hear them.

I think you'll also want to check my ES10 out. It's quite fascinating what you can achieve by playing around with a pair of cheaper headphones.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 119
A months time sounds good to me. Shall we change this to a big meet in the title? I don't know if we can make this an "Official" Meet or not, but we can definitely fit a HUGE amount of people. An Official meet would take some planning since we would need to invite a lot of the manufacturers there.

Either Saturday or Sunday would work for me. A month from now sounds great and the location is perfect for people taking BART since it's right off Powell station - close to the mall...

OK here is what I can bring:

Amp:
Schiit Lyr 2

Headphones:
Audio Technica ESW9 and ES10
Beyerdynamic T5P
Denon AH-D750 and AH-D950
Sennheiser PX100

I will need at least a whole table as I will be probably be getting a lot of Schiit to display.

I would love to see the following if anyone has it as I've been looking to hearing these for a while:

Aedle VK1
Ultrasone Signature DJ and Pro
MB Quart and German Maestro

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 119
Sign me up!

I'll bring:

Schiit Bifrost Uber
Schiit Valhalla 2
Matrix M-Stage HPA-2

Beyerdynamic T1
AKG K702
Sennheiser HD650

Plus cables or other odds and ends...

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #20 of 119
I've gone ahead and created a Doodle poll to help us choose a day. 

If you'd like to join, please go to this link and pick the days that work for you:
http://doodle.com/kkih34wizy6zrm7h

It's pretty easy:
"Yes" means you can come that day, no problem.
"(Yes)" with parenthesis means you can come, but you'd rather a different day.
"No" means that if we have it that day you won't be able to make it.

This is way easier than trying to co-ordinate via forum posts, promise. ::grin::

Bill-P, would you be willing to add that link to your original post?

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #21 of 119
Interested in attending, hopefully I can make it once we decide on a date. I can bring the following:

1. Hifiman HE560
  2. Sennheiser HD800 (about a 50% chance or so, will confirm)
  3. Emotiva Mini X (drive HE560)
  4. JVC JA-S55 (drive HD800)
  5. AMB y2
  6. Laptop as source

I've got balanced speaker taps and a balanced > 1/4in converter so anyone can hook up their cans to try it out on the Mini X speaker amp.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 119

And that's good news! You'll get my HE-560 to compare as well. If you end up liking the HE-400, maybe you'll like the HE-560 as well.

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing the HE-560. I'm honestly disappointed by the HE-400 so far, but I am comparing them to the Audeze LCD-2 which is more than a little unfair.

Looks like we're picking up some serious steam with this event! I'm excited to try out some of the excellent gear folks are bringing.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 119
  A months time sounds good to me. Shall we change this to a big meet in the title? I don't know if we can make this an "Official" Meet or not, but we can definitely fit a HUGE amount of people. An Official meet would take some planning since we would need to invite a lot of the manufacturers there.

Yeah, so this one is not an "official" meet, but we can make it a "big little" meet. 
gs1000.gif

Sign me up!

You're on the list, sir!

I've gone ahead and created a Doodle poll to help us choose a day. 

This is way easier than trying to co-ordinate via forum posts, promise. ::grin::

Bill-P, would you be willing to add that link to your original post?

Yes! I don't know how I could have missed that.

Thank you very much! It's now in the first post.

Interested in attending, hopefully I can make it once we decide on a date...

I've got balanced speaker taps and a balanced > 1/4in converter so anyone can hook up their cans to try it out on the Mini X speaker amp.

Hopefully you can make it! I'm too lazy to whip up a balanced cable for my HE-560, and yet I would like to know how it would play out of the speaker terminals of my McIntosh as well. The headphone output doesn't have enough current.

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing the HE-560. I'm honestly disappointed by the HE-400 so far, but I am comparing them to the Audeze LCD-2 which is more than a little unfair.

Looks like we're picking up some serious steam with this event! I'm excited to try out some of the excellent gear folks are bringing.

I would guess that you are judging them on bass and vocals? Yeah, the HE-400 does fall short in those categories.

It's basically a lesser LCD-2... although I get the feeling the "less" part is probably a bit underestimated these days.

The HE-560 is very different. It's the first Hifiman headphone that I have ever wanted to own. Hopefully my DIY project will be able to do it justice. Or maybe the speaker terminals of my McIntosh would be up for the task... now that I think about it.

And if the HE-560 is not up to the task, then I still have my ATH-ES10 to serve you the bass that you seek.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #27 of 119
I just happened onto this thread and you can count me in.  I'll bring a Geek Out 720.  I'm also currently auditioning phones, and if I get a pair before the meet I'll bring those too.

Q: Are you able to send out notice to the Bay Area group list?

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #29 of 119
Ok folks! It looks like September 20th is our day! I've cleared it with my work and we're official.

What: SF Bay Area little big MEET
Where: Pivotal Labs, 5th Floor, 875 Howard St @ 5th St, San Francisco, CA 94103
When: Saturday September 20th, 12pm to 6pm
Parking: There is a big paid garage at 5th and Mission, one block away: http://notfine.com/snaps/Google_Maps_2014-08-29_08-51-09_2014-08-29_08-51-12.jpg

I'm happy to throw in for some pizza.

Bill-P, would you mind updating your initial post? 

I'm excited to meet you all and listen to some of this amazing gear!

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 119

What Bay Area group list is that? I'm sure it exists, but I don't know about it.

If someone could link me to it or give me more info I'll see about getting the word out.

Group link: http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/21/sf-bay-area-head-fiers-group

Hopefully you can make it! I'm too lazy to whip up a balanced cable for my HE-560, and yet I would like to know how it would play out of the speaker terminals of my McIntosh as well. The headphone output doesn't have enough current.

Yeah, it will be interesting. I dropped an email to Mcintosh to confirm if the 4100 shares common grounds and all that junk (needs it for single ended cans), they said it would be fine. Didn't want to risk any amps or cans puffing out smoke. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back