SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!)
Sep 2, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #32 of 119
  I just happened onto this thread and you can count me in.  I'll bring a Geek Out 720.  I'm also currently auditioning phones, and if I get a pair before the meet I'll bring those too.

Q: Are you able to send out notice to the Bay Area group list?

I'm not a leader in the group so I can't do that, but I'll be sure to let someone know.

Ok folks! It looks like September 20th is our day! I've cleared it with my work and we're official.

What: SF Bay Area little big MEET
Where: Pivotal Labs, 5th Floor, 875 Howard St @ 5th St, San Francisco, CA 94103
When: Saturday September 20th, 12pm to 6pm
Parking: There is a big paid garage at 5th and Mission, one block away: http://notfine.com/snaps/Google_Maps_2014-08-29_08-51-09_2014-08-29_08-51-12.jpg

I'm happy to throw in for some pizza.

Bill-P, would you mind updating your initial post? 

I'm excited to meet you all and listen to some of this amazing gear!

Yep, I updated the first post. Looks like the majority of us can make Sept 20. I may have a Fostex HP-P1 to bring as well... for those who might be interested.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #33 of 119
  Group link: http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/21/sf-bay-area-head-fiers-group

Yeah, it will be interesting. I dropped an email to Mcintosh to confirm if the 4100 shares common grounds and all that junk (needs it for single ended cans), they said it would be fine. Didn't want to risk any amps or cans puffing out smoke. 

If you use a balanced -> single-ended connector, then common ground will be shared between channels... and the contact will be at the adapter.

I think it'll be fine. The resistance of a piece of wire should be negligibly small compared to the headphone, so it shouldn't smoke and stuffs.

Plus the McIntosh isn't really that powerful. It's about on par with the Emotiva X, I believe. 45W per channel is hardly anything for speakers. Just make sure you don't plug the headphone in without first dropping volume all the way down...

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #34 of 119
I really can't make it on the 20th... A coworkers birthday party is on that day that I forgot about. If we can shift it to the 21st or the weekend after, I will get Schiit to send out a lot of gear, maybe even a Raganork for the meet. I can guarantee it will be a much bigger meet too with all that gear...

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #35 of 119
  I really can't make it on the 20th... A coworkers birthday party is on that day that I forgot about. If we can shift it to the 21st or the weekend after, I will get Schiit to send out a lot of gear, maybe even a Raganork for the meet. I can guarantee it will be a much bigger meet too with all that gear...

According to the survey everyone but No_One411 can make it on the 21st.

I can switch to the 21st if I change my arrangements with my work soon.

What do you guys think?

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 119

What do you guys think?

Ok um...I would prefer not to meet on Sunday. 

With that said, I can try and see make an exception during that weekend, since it seems that date is okay for everybody else.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #38 of 119

What do you guys think?

That sounds great, especially since Jeff (No_One411) will try to make it on the 21st anyway! If you can change it tomorrow then we can start on inviting more people and I can get the Schiit.

Ok um...I would prefer not to meet on Sunday. 

With that said, I can try and see make an exception during that weekend, since it seems that date is okay for everybody else.

Thanks Jeff!
  whats the cost to attend?

It's FREE! sofauxboho has graciously let us use his office space which we he is renting out to us for free. In the official meets we have to rent the hotel meeting space, which is why the attendees are charged for entrance.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #39 of 119
@baronkatz Thank you for the clarification.  

This is a REAL Head-Fi meet.  Just like the good old days.  :)  What do you guys want me to bring?  I'll bring two or three systems.

Woo Audio amps:

- WA22

- WA2

- WA6

- WA6-SE

- WA7D+WA7tp

- WDS-1 reference DAC

Headphones:

- HiFiMan HE-560

- Beyer T1

- HD700

- HD650

- Grado PS500e

- Grado RS1e

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #41 of 119
Glad to have you with us, Mike!

If possible, can you please send a mass notification to the members of the SF Bay Area group and see if who else decides to show up? We can make this a big meet!

And please bring the WA7 with tube power supply if you can. I'd love to hear how the tube power supply improves upon the sound of the WA7, and plus I'm curious about how my HE-560 pairs with other gears.

On a side note, I have the Fostex HP-P1 now, folks, so I'll bring it.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #42 of 119
Good stuff! Thanks for being flexible @No_One411. I'm stoked that there's a day that everyone can make it!

Let's go ahead and move the meet to 12pm on Sunday September 21st so @baronkatz can join. I'd love to check out the Ragnarok.

I've cleared it with my office, so that's all set. @Bill-P would you change the date on the first post? Might also be good to add the full address: Pivotal Labs, 5th Floor, 875 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103 (at 5th St).

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #44 of 119
First post looks great now, thanks!

In other news, my housemate just picked up the Blue Mo-Fi, that new headphone with integrated amp which has been reviewed so well by some and so poorly by others.

So folks who come will have a chance to check that out too!

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #45 of 119
Awesome!

I was working for one of Blue's contracted manufacturers (owned by my uncles), and back in those days, we were only working on tube pre-amps and EQs. I guess they have come a long way now, huh?

Anyway, I'm curious how it will stack up against my Fostex HP-P1 and Audio Technica ATH-ES10 combo. I think I have just found my end-game portable rig, but maybe someone will surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back