SF Bay Area, California - Interest Check
May 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #16 of 39
This could be a small meet then. Which would take less planning, as we wouldn't really need a big place to be in. 

Last time was it held in a big place, do you think it's possible that we have big place?

May 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:
Quote:
This could be a small meet then. Which would take less planning, as we wouldn't really need a big place to be in. 

Last time was it held in a big place, do you think it's possible that we have big place?

If we can put enough money into it. Alas, I am only 14, so I'm not sure I can contribute much money.

May 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 39
If we can put enough money into it. Alas, I am only 14, so I'm not sure I can contribute much money.

How much are we talking about?

May 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:
How much are we talking about?

You could ask the organizer of that meet, purrin, how much the exact cost was. My guess, based on previous experience organizing meets, for a hotel like the Sofitel in the SF Bay area, would be somewhere in the region of $1K-$2K, possibly upwards of $3K even (for space to accommodate ~100 people).

The Doubletree Burlingame, which has been used previously, would probably be relatively cheaper. I'd guess ~$750-$1.5K (or so).

As wolfetan44 already pointed out, not every meet needs to be large though. Scaling back to a level of ~30 people capacity or so would be substantially cheaper, which I'd guess would be about a $700 average in the SF Bay area. If you could tolerate a run of the mill hotel far away from airports & city centers, I'd guess you could find facilities as cheap as $500 somewhere (like Silicon Valley).

Or get creative and find an alternate meet venue that's not a hotel. Head-Fi meets in other parts of the country have been held in places like libraries too, or someone's office, home, or apartment complex center.

May 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 39
You could ask the organizer of that meet, purrin, how much the exact cost was. My guess, based on previous experience organizing meets, for a hotel like the Sofitel in the SF Bay area, would be somewhere in the region of $1K-$2K, possibly upwards of $3K even (for space to accommodate ~100 people).

The Doubletree Burlingame, which has been used previously, would probably be relatively cheaper. I'd guess ~$750-$1.5K (or so).

I guess if there were 100 of us and each one of us could donate $10 we could have a meet?

May 8, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 39
Best to have someone experienced drive the organization, scheduling, logistics, etc. of setting this up. Definitely be helpful if folks who are willing to dedicate a little time to assist with the logistics and planning step up as well, so they see how it's done right, learn from it and attempt to organize it themselves next time around.

I'd be willing to help pitch in but never doing one of these before, I'd have no clue if I'd be doing it correctly or not. It's sometimes not about "set it up and they will come", it's also organizing and scheduling around a period where you'll get a decent turnout, of both folks w/gear and folks who want to come and stay to listen, socialize, etc. You may not hit 100 attendees since a Bay Area meet was just recently held (successfully from all accounts) and it may be too soon for another one. Mini-meets (ie. 3-6 folks) at someone's home might be ideal and easier to set up.

Just some food for thought here.

May 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #22 of 39
Best to have someone experienced drive the organization, scheduling, logistics, etc. of setting this up. Definitely be helpful if folks who are willing to dedicate a little time to assist with the logistics and planning step up as well, so they see how it's done right, learn from it and attempt to organize it themselves next time around.

I'd be willing to help pitch in but never doing one of these before, I'd have no clue if I'd be doing it correctly or not. It's sometimes not about "set it up and they will come", it's also organizing and scheduling around a period where you'll get a decent turnout, of both folks w/gear and folks who want to come and stay to listen, socialize, etc. You may not hit 100 attendees since a Bay Area meet was just recently held (successfully from all accounts) and it may be too soon for another one. Mini-meets (ie. 3-6 folks) at someone's home might be ideal and easier to set up.

Just some food for thought here.

I agree for the most part but don't agree with your logic about not being able to get as many people as there were recently. I'm sure they will come, do you know who organized last event?

May 8, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #23 of 39
purrin did but he's out of SoCal area and has a lot of folks here in NorCal he can call on to help with organizing. It's still a b*tch to organize everything from a distance though, as he can attest.

May 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:
I agree for the most part but don't agree with your logic about not being able to get as many people as there were recently. I'm sure they will come, do you know who organized last event?

I'm not sure I understand your motivation for a large meet. Although large meets are fun socially, they can also be extremely frustrating to get any good listening time at due to loud ambience (people talking around you) or lines to listen to gear so you might end up not being able to listen to what you want to. Smaller meets (<30 people) are much more ideal if you actually want to hear the gear you're interested in.

In any case I digress and suggest that some type of action should be taken if you truly want to get a meet off the ground. Someone's going to need to take action eventually or a meet will never materialize. How come that can't be you?

May 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #25 of 39
I'm not sure I understand your motivation for a large meet. Although large meets are fun socially, they can also be extremely frustrating to get any good listening time at due to loud ambience (people talking around you) or lines to listen to gear so you might end up not being able to listen to what you want to. Smaller meets (<30 people) are much more ideal if you actually want to hear the gear you're interested in.

In any case I digress and suggest that some type of action should be taken if you truly want to get a meet off the ground. Someone's going to need to take action eventually or a meet will never materialize. How come that can't be you?

I guess it is better to have a small meet instead. I don't have time to organize and no funds as well. I'm sure whoever organized last time could do it again once we have enough people.

May 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #26 of 39
There's an LA meet on July 20. The list of attendees is already long enough, and I think that should be the better place if you're looking to check out gears.

I have a sneaking suspicion that most of SF Bay Area members would go to that one instead.

And purrin will be there as well, so I don't think he can turn around to organize another meet in the Bay area in the same time frame.

May 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 39
San Francisco here what we could do. Dagoog.com is sponsoring the California Audio Show on 8/9-/811 at the Westin. We have the Headmasters event  Constantine Soo would like to run the San Francisco  Headphone  meet with Headmasters and is offering a room to hold from 75-100 San Francisco head fliers. The only cost would be for you to buy a three day ticket to the show which cost 30.00 Constantine would cover the cost of the room and you would get access to the show for three days and the meet would run on Saturday 8/10/2013 from 10AM-6PM.  You would also get to see plenty of vendors and entertainment and have the other two days to see the2 channel show. 

I need to get at least 75 people who want to attend  to get this off the ground. Please let me know if there is interest and I will help organize the meet.

May 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:
Bill thanks and hopefully we can get this to take off. I would fly out myself for this event. I am setting up another thread post on it.

That would be cool.  I'm pretty lazy about these things but if this happens and I don't have anything crazy going on, I'll come.

What are you bringing with you, Frank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back