Sexy Sextetts!
Jul 20, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'm sure the Sextets would really bring out the jug player while preserving the detail in the wash board.
biggrin.gif

A really good set might even tell you what brand of washboard it is, say...an Acme vs. an Uncle Joe's Washboard Co. of Palookaville, TN.

eggosmile.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 60
Ah, nothing beats the tone of a vintage Uncle Joe's.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I got the elastics in. I bought a pack of 36 hair elastics for two bucks. They're about an inch and a half long, when squished into a straight line. They were multi-coloured. Naturally, I chose the black ones.

They fit over the old lower bracket and in behind the brass centre bolt inside the cap. The tension on them is just about perfect. They're nice and springy now. although my fat head stretches them almost right to the limit. They no longer have that about-to-fall-off feeling. On the whole, I'd say the operation was a success.
eggosmile.gif

Now I need to deal with the pads issue. Can anyone tell me if K340 pads will fit on a K240?

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I can promise that... but I'll try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and not a big country fan here either, but I love Johnny Cash and when I'm in the mood I will throw on Willie Nelson.
340smile.gif

Well you have discerning taste, the two you can stomach are certainly two of the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I need to deal with the pads issue. Can anyone tell me if K340 pads will fit on a K240?

That's a 10-4 good buddy. Keep the bugs off yer glass, and the bears off yer tail.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and since this is a K240 Sextett thread I'll say once again how impressed I am with these. I can't believe Fitz can sell these for $5.95!
tongue.gif

That doesn't sound serious, but just in case....

May I have one too?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, how much did this cost?

I'm a return customer, and Fitz' twin, so I'm not sure if I paid the going rate. It wouldn't be my place to quote his price. I do know him to be quite reasonable, especially considering his amazing craftsmanship.

I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a quote though.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

The more I listen to these the more I like them. How many Sextett owners out their own or have owned K340s, and what are your fellings on the two.

I think the Sextett is fine, very pleasant, but not really on a level with a K340. Not even all that close. The fullness and life of a K340 just isn't there in the same heapings, and I don't feel the same spatial openness. I haven't spent enough time with my Sextetts, though, on account of deciding that the old earpads had to go and not yet having procured replacements.

The Sextett has a very different sound to the K340 and maybe an even more unusual one, and it's hard for me to say which headphone is really comparable to it-- not, in my opinion, Grado, as some have said. I can see why they say it, but I feel that it's like trying to describe something with words that you know aren't quite right, but they're as close as you have. I'd also agree with the consensus that the Sextett is not like the other K240 versions, and is clearly superior to them. But up against a K340, I'll take the 340 any day. Of course I sold all my 340s and still have my Sextetts, so take that with a grain of salt.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

The more I listen to these the more I like them. How many Sextett owners out their own or have owned K340s, and what are your fellings on the two.

I like the sextett more, but I normally listen to the middle production version. If you ever want to get them converted from late to middle, I can do that easily as long as I still have this extra pair of baffle plates.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #55 of 60
I agree that they're very different, and I'd agree that the K340 is on another level. How different they are is what surprised me so much. I'd never give up my K340 (still my #1 can), but these are so unique and enjoyable in their own right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the sextett more, but I normally listen to the middle production version. If you ever want to get them converted from late to middle, I can do that easily as long as I still have this extra pair of baffle plates.

I'm thoroughly enjoying them as they are! I've got other cans for other moods.

Oh and I gave a quick impression of the SR-40 for you Fitz. I like it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252080

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Sextett is fine, very pleasant, but not really on a level with a K340. Not even all that close. The fullness and life of a K340 just isn't there in the same heapings, and I don't feel the same spatial openness.

That pretty much reflects my feelings between the two. The K340 was overall the better headphone, but for some reason I enjoy listening the the K240 more.
confused.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

I'm a return customer, and Fitz' twin, so I'm not sure if I paid the going rate. It wouldn't be my place to quote his price. I do know him to be quite reasonable, especially considering his amazing craftsmanship.

I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a quote though.

It's your call if you want to let it be known. People just gotta keep in mind that if they ask me to do it without me having already offered to do it for them, it'll cost a lot more.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That pretty much reflects my feelings between the two. The K340 was overall the better headphone, but for some reason I enjoy listening the the K240 more.
confused.gif

I'd agree, actually, on the greater draw of the Sextett vs. the K340-- less fatigue and they don't require high volume to sound right. Not as important but still a consideration is that they also don't weigh a ton.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's your call if you want to let it be known. People just gotta keep in mind that if they ask me to do it without me having already offered to do it for them, it'll cost a lot more.

Hey, no worries. There's no need to post (since I asked). If it was something done for buds, that's cool, keep it between yourselves. I may you ask in the future via PM, and I'll find out my own price at that time. I'm not ready to buy anything now.

It is very pretty. Nice work.

Jul 25, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as important but still a consideration is that they also don't weigh a ton.

I have a strong neck, so the weight wasn't a factor for me.
340smile.gif
The K240 does have a good deal more clamp than the K340 though. Kinda reminded me of the K81DJ when I first put them on, only not as bad.

On a side note, Tool + K240 Sextett = Heavenly

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back