Sextetts vs Fostex t50rp Modded or not
Dec 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ajm

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for headphones and am curious about the t50rp. I am considering getting a pair like thunderpants in modifications. I like the mids best about my sextetts. Has anyone ever heard both? Comparison would be great. I just dont wanna drop major coin and not like them. My music preferences don't matter I am most concerned about the mids and still want similar bass and highs to sextetts if there better that's awesome. It doesn't matter to me if there open or closed.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 7
If you like the Sextetts I think there's a good chance you'll like the T50rp with the right set of mods or better yet Thunderpants.  They don't sound the same, but they have similar qualities.  Both have good tonality, both have good midrange, both are semi-open.  The Sextetts are a little richer and warmer in the midrange and bass.  The T50rp has more refined treble when modded. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 7
yea i agree. i have both the sextetts LP and Fostex T50rp i modded myself. if midrange is what you want then you'll be very happy with the fostex. the tonality is very similar like mention above but the fostex giver better overall clarity and up to the clarity level of my 240DF's. it doesn't have the crazy accentuated bass impact my sextetts can provide but it has amazing detail and control in the bass down to the sub-bass extension. the sextetts though will have an edge on imaging and soundstage over the fostex(even though i found way to improve my fostex overall expansive soundstage and imaging ability). i think though cause the sextetts are naturally balanced is reason behind their flawless imaging. the treble extension is very very good while being very fast and bit more refined and detailed but my sextetts i have is not far off at all since my sextetts seem to have best treble extension out all the AKG models in existence and can sound very bright with certain songs. my sextetts are very quick but not as refined as my 240DF's or Fostex. surprise at the fostex speed myself cause it keeps up head to head with my df's in overall speed and extension which i love.

you'll really like it if your fan of older AKG models. i really like my pair i have.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 7
I am glad to hear that they are similar. My question is how much of an upgrade is it? I picked up my pair of MP sextett's for $150. The pair of modded t50rps I am considering are really close to being thunderpants but are about triple the price of my sextetts. I can afford purchasing the almost thunderpants but I am just wondering if it's much of an upgrade? And worth the money.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 7
i would just get a pair of stock T50rp's myself and just change the pads and stuff the cups to your liking if your worried about it being worth it or not. at least the stock t50rp will leave your options more open. you don't need to go crazy and use that dynamat stuff that is permanent to kill the cup resonance. you can get simple stuff from local dollar store,furniture store and home dept/hardware store for the modding. all reversible as well. planer magnetic drivers are bipolar so little dampening in front of the driver like simple foam disc or something will help cause planer magnetic driver reflect/resonate both ways so it can help out in the overall refinement.

the t50rp are only about 75-105 bucks and materials will only cost you about less then 20 bucks easy cause acoustic materials(like fiberglass,mineral wool/rock wool,polyfill,cotton,) are all dirt cheap. in my opinion the acoustic foam and dynamat stuff is too expensive compared to the same/better results you can get with proven materials for acoustic treatment.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
in my opinion the acoustic foam and dynamat stuff is too expensive compared to the same/better results you can get with proven materials for acoustic treatment.

Ok have you actually tried these materials?  I'm not going to disagree with you flat out, but that's quite a statement to make if you've never tried it. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 7

Ok have you actually tried these materials?  I'm not going to disagree with you flat out, but that's quite a statement to make if you've never tried it. 

it's used lot for speaker cabs to stop mass vibrations from low frequencies but won't help in any type of absorption to take place. it can help to kill some resonance in the low-frequencies. that's why it's also used for car trunks, same thing can be said about concrete/cinder. using a layer of cement in the speaker cabs can help eliminate resonant vibrations from resonating down through the floors cause it's so dense it will completely just cancel out the wave lengths from reflecting. used lot of times as stands and 100hz bass traps. from experience in order to completely kill any form of mass vibration and acoustic energy from resonating, fiberglass seems to still be the best option(cause for complete absorption to take place the acoustic energy needs to be transfered to heat, which is how materials like rigid fiberglass works). put 9'' thick rigid fiberglass nicely packed into the trunk with the sub-woofer and not only will you notice how ''dead'' it'll get but your trunk will no longer rattle at all.

i know special pipe organ rooms and rotary sub-woofer rooms in big time Theaters has to be specially installed in an attic or basement to provide an infinite baffle with thick insulations of fiberglass for complete absorption(these woofers can literately extend down to DC frequencies so you'll be pushing massive amounts of air and provide an actual mini earth quake).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back