Sextett's little brother is the end of the road: surprising happiness with the little known akg 141
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Very happy tale.

I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. Senns, grados, Beyer (still think the beyer 48 is a massively underated can here) AKGs, etcs., but never really been happy with anything over the long haul - until the past few months.

The craziest part is that it's come from a pretty cheap and largely unknown can: the AKG 141s

This is basically the sextett's little brother (user the same drivers).

First up it's flaws. It's cheap, doesn't have a huge soundstage, lacks bass and highs, gets congested in complex passages and just isn't the most detailed or resolving.

So why bother? Like the sextett it just sounds right, natural, tonally acurate in the midrange and is fun while at the same time non-fatiguing. The sextett is a better phone but for some reason i prefer the 141 and just can't explain why (another head-fier who i respect a great deal had the same opinion).

I read some various threads where headfiers stumbled across these and were surprised and liked them. Bought a pair from one of them and was shocked. Then was stupid and sold it. Then bought another one, then a couple of more (tried to buy some headfiers who had commented on them but they wisely weren't selling).

The best part about this guy is that these are cheap (under $100 even for pristine ones on ebay) and pair phenomenally well with the millet starving student amp (kind of like orthos) - using a nos dac you have a system for cheap that is musical and incredibly pleasurable.

Just to avoid falling for another temporary liaison, I waited and over them months before really saying anything - and in the interim these have grown on me.

They are not really impressive at first listen, but keep them on and they are tough to take off.

I now have a couple complete systems build around these and when i get back home plan on selling off my more expensive gear and just staying with these.

There is something very nice about that vintage AKG sound. (Who knows, maybe I'll ask fitz to recable these.)

Other interesting aside. My wife, who is not really in to this but humors me really likes these little cans and steals them frequently - she's never done that with any of the others.

As a result, it's really enjoyable to be able to turn more attention to music.

Thanks, vintage AKG!

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is what I love about cheap but great gear; I listen more and analyze less.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 42
I have these too, but no 6.3-->3.5mm adaptor
frown.gif
The pads are flat, elastics are shot, and I think the sound is a little erm... 2D. I'm more for the modern sound.

On the upside, they were FREE! (Someone gave it to my dad ~15 years ago) and they didn't get any use)

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very happy tale.

I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. Senns, grados, Beyer (still think the beyer 48 is a massively underated can here) AKGs, etcs., but never really been happy with anything over the long haul - until the past few months.

The craziest part is that it's come from a pretty cheap and largely unknown can: the AKG 141s

This is basically the sextett's little brother (user the same drivers).

First up it's flaws. It's cheap, doesn't have a huge soundstage, lacks bass and highs, gets congested in complex passages and just isn't the most detailed or resolving.

So why bother? Like the sextett it just sounds right, natural, tonally acurate in the midrange and is fun while at the same time non-fatiguing. The sextett is a better phone but for some reason i prefer the 141 and just can't explain why (another head-fier who i respect a great deal had the same opinion).

I read some various threads where headfiers stumbled across these and were surprised and liked them. Bought a pair from one of them and was shocked. Then was stupid and sold it. Then bought another one, then a couple of more (tried to buy some headfiers who had commented on them but they wisely weren't selling).

The best part about this guy is that these are cheap (under $100 even for pristine ones on ebay) and pair phenomenally well with the millet starving student amp (kind of like orthos) - using a nos dac you have a system for cheap that is musical and incredibly pleasurable.

Just to avoid falling for another temporary liaison, I waited and over them months before really saying anything - and in the interim these have grown on me.

They are not really impressive at first listen, but keep them on and they are tough to take off.

I now have a couple complete systems build around these and when i get back home plan on selling off my more expensive gear and just staying with these.

There is something very nice about that vintage AKG sound. (Who knows, maybe I'll ask fitz to recable these.)

Other interesting aside. My wife, who is not really in to this but humors me really likes these little cans and steals them frequently - she's never done that with any of the others.

Thanks, vintage AKG!

With the HR-2 & DAC1, I preferred the Sextetts over my other headphones for audio bliss.. It's the only headphone that I can listen to, & focus on the music instead of the headphones short comings & flaws.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 42
Glad to see you found something that you love enough to prevent upgradetitis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vintage AKG/Beyers for the win.

Agreed. Love my Sextetts. Still haven't had the chance to listen to a vintage Beyer though. I really want to try a Beyer DT48 some day, but I decided not to buy any headphones right now and focus on upgrading my source and getting an amp. I have three power hungry cans and no dedicated headphone amp to power them.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 42
I completely agree! No one knows about these headphones, and they are really amazing. I think your analysis of their shortcomings fits matches perfectly with mine, and the mysterious way they just sound right, even more so than the sextetts. I don't agree with you about bass though, mine have plenty, and I'm kind of a basshead, and it is fairly rich and detailed. My pair also has a bit more treble energy than my EP Sextetts, which on the wrong equipment can be overly warm.

They are also gorgeous! I plan on making some beauty photographs of my vintage silver AKG collection, been wanting to do that for a while, as they look awesome together! (I also have a silver K140
wink.gif
)

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 42
A gold K141-M was my 2nd good can, after my DT990 (Edition 1990).

Old enough it had the old style cable on it.

There was something about it that was compelling. The 990 was certainly more fun, but the 141 was compelling in a way i couldn't put my finger on.

So now i own like 13 AKG cans. Probably, oh, 1/4th of my collection.

Oh, and the lineage goes K140 -> K240 -> K141 iirc.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 42
interesting. So they came up with a nice headphone driver, in the K140, and then refiend it and added passive radiators (assumably for better bass response) and then ditched the radiators and came out with the K141, but with the same driver....very odd.

I am surprised that they are the same driver, because they sound so similar, it makes me wonder what the radiators are actually doing

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 42
Be careful...You may fall in love with the K-240DF and then you could get caught in a hot relationship with the Fostex T20 V2, or with her sexy little sister the T10. I'm telling you, man, it's risky business! Anyway, I have a great time with my K141, my first flat and balanced headphones. They gave me a lot of appreciation for the AKG sound, but I think next time, I'll try the silver version.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting. So they came up with a nice headphone driver, in the K140, and then refiend it and added passive radiators (assumably for better bass response) and then ditched the radiators and came out with the K141, but with the same driver....very odd.

I am surprised that they are the same driver, because they sound so similar, it makes me wonder what the radiators are actually doing

The AKG service docs are pretty revealing on that point.

Yes, for the same production eras, K14x drivers and K24x drivers are generally the same part number.

There was a time when the K141-M was the most ubiquitous recording studio headphone.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 42
Glad to know there are others who have heard and like these

I do agree that there are 2D, which makes it odd that I like them so much because usually I dig soundstage

but what i've noticed is that when listening to a song on other cans with great soundstage i focus on the sounds and their placement whereas with these i just don't - it's kind of paradoxical but even though the are flat/compressed the music itself comes through more clearly

they do have bass for sure, but i think if folks buy them expecting massive bass they'll be disappointed and they don't have a tremendous amount of bass energy - but they are certainly a class above bass-shy cans that produce great midrange like the 501 (another favorite of mine i've since sold off)

maybe its psychological but it seems faster to me than the sextett, with a more sort of immediate impact and greater directness of vocals (that may be from the 2D presentation though)

the other thing about it that impresses me is the variety of music it really sounds great with (chamber, folk, rock, blues, jazz, world, etc.)

the thing that has totally floored me about them is using them with a cheap little millet starving student - it has a tremendous synergy and i prefer the sound combination by far to better solid states and nice pure tube amps (woo, etc.)

i imagine a little do 1+ would be a nice match as well

i've also been listening with a valab, shek nos and even a way cheap little non dac (search ebay for Mini SPDIF DAC TDA1543 DIR9001 and you'll find them for $40-60) and it's real magic. (caveat - i love a warmish system so avoiding an non os dac with this and using a carefully chose cheap OS dac would probably give most folks a better balanced sound.)

For under $300 you can have a heck of a musical, enjoyable system - and if you're smart you'll take it, walk away and buy a bunch of music - too bad it took me years t figure this out

they are pretty too
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd really like to see a comparison between the Sextett & this 141 VS various orthos. I've been considering an old AKG for some time .... Anyone got both an AKG and an ortho?

no one comes to mind...
tongue_smile.gif

edit: ok. Well I have had a few sextetts, and I have the K141 silver, the one OP is referring to, and also a YH-100, so I guess I should probably say something. I think they are voiced very similarly, neutral, warm but engaging and detailed, beautiful midrange, never harsh- ever, - a balanced sound.

But the differences would be a feeling of weight- the AKG's have much much more weight and body to their sound, and my YH-100 are much more ethereal sounding, and move more towards that electrostatic light, fast, whispery sound. The yh-100 is definitely more detailed, with a driver that is physically faster- and you can hear this. I tend to think that the sextett drivers have plenty of detail, but, like the HD650, they don't shove it in your face, you kind of have to look for it- which is a trait i enjoy personally.

niether of the 3 sound dry like the HD650, they have very liquid mids, I like the mids on the AKG a bit better, probably the weight it gives them.

They both have similar compressed soundstage, and they both make up for it with amazing instrument separation, instruments never bleed into one another- which I think is much more important than soundstage. But the YH-100 is definitely better in this regard.

When I put on the YH-100 I think it is technically a better headphone, but usually something makes me want more weight, and lately I've been listening to the sextetts or K141 more. But I need to get a pad mod worked out for my yamahas, and then we'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back